What's new

Plasma Vs. Projector (1 Viewer)

Roshisan1

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I love Panasonic Plasmas and was considering getting the biggest I could afford for my HT, but I am also considering projectors. How much for a good 3D/1080p projector and screen setup? What will I gain and lose for each? Thank you

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Unless you are getting a 102" plasma or sitting 3 feet in front of a 65" ... there is something to be said about immersion. Getting drawn into the movie. One tends to be great looking TV when you are done, the other was a great looking movie. Especially a 2.39:1 aspect ratio film. Big picture, big sound. Small Picture, big sound. Need more light control with a projector and more back end costs like bulbs. Also have to have a good screen to go with a projector. Image is crisper/tighter on a plasma ... big surprise. 65" plasma versus 106" projection. But then again a 50" plasma would be tighter still versus the 65" ... and a 43" even better. Plasma is better if there is a multipurpose use to the display. Regards

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
A plasma will not give you a home theater. It will just be a room with a TV in it. You'd be surprised how nice a $1000-$1500, 1080p projector looks. A screen can cost very little if you make and/or paint your own, $50. Or you can spend up to $2,000 for one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't let the projector crowd tell you a plasma display doesn't give you a HT. Look around and decide what fits your budget and your viewing setup in regard to light and how far from the screen you'll be viewing it.

Crawdaddy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael TLV said:
Greetings Plasma is better if there is a multipurpose use to the display. Regards
You can use a projector for multipurpose use as long as you don't mind the back end cost of replacement bulbs. There is something to be said about playing Modern Warfare 3 on a 100"+ screen.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Projectors are great IF you can keep the room dark. If not, they suck. Plasma delivers a great image under a much wider range of room conditions, but yea, a 102" plasma is big bucks. What about DLP rear projection? Mitsubishi has done some great things lately and their 82" models start at under $2000 and for about double that, a 92" model.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

You can use a projector for multipurpose use as long as you don't mind the back end cost of replacement bulbs.

For reference, I just replaced the bulb on my Mitsubishi projector for the first time. I had 2250 hours on the lamp, and had been using the projector for 4.5 years. It's the only HD display in the house, so my wife and I DVR shows and watch stuff downstairs all the time.

The numbers worked out like this: 2250 hours over 1642 days, so just under 10 hours of use a week. Replacement bulb was $350, which worked out to $0.21 per day cost to use.

Many new projectors have longer bulb life than my Mits - at least 3000 hours in low-lamp mode, some as high as 5000 hours. The "lamp cost" of running a front projector setup, IMO, is low enough to be virtually inconsequential.

Originally Posted by Mr645 [url=/t/317537/plasma-vs-projector#post_3886899]

Projectors are great IF you can keep the room dark. If not, they suck.

That all depends on the projector and what you're watching. It's not a valid generalization, IMO. In my basement, I can turn the lights up to levels where it's EASY to read, and still enjoy a very watchable picture for most network shows. Obviously, I'm not going to watch "The Dark Knight" with the lights up - though I could do so and not miss much.

In my experience, nothing gives a "wow" factor like a front projector. After 4.5 years (and it's only a 720p display) my wife and I still marvel at the image quality. It rocks.

Cheetahz cinema

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Roufs
Well my thoughts are this. I have a 50" 1080p Samsung Plasma tv on our living room wall. It's great for everyday use and movies on the tv. It used to be the biggest display in our house for about a year, along with 1000watt 5.1 sound. It's only 2 1/2 yrd old. Then I started turning our long Basement room into a true theater. I actually own 2 CRT projectors. I display 1080i on my CRT projector, it can do 1080 p but a little soft. started out with a 72" diag screen, but now I have a 104" diag screen. There is nothing like a huge screen in a 98% dark room experience at home. Now I don't have bulbs but I have tubes. And when I got the projector it has 1452 hours on the tubes. I get to look forward to another 4,000 hours before I even have to start looking for replacement tubes. CRT's are not for everyone, in fact not for most, but if u have the room and patience to set it up right(about 3 hrs for each different input) its worth looking into. $1,500.00 would buy a very nice CRT projector with great tubes and depending on use could last at least 3-5 yrs. I use say 2hrs/day so I expect mine to go for 3+yrs. I only watch movies on it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Let's Roll!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jason Charlton said:
That all depends on the projector and what you're watching.  It's not a valid generalization, IMO.  In my basement, I can turn the lights up to levels where it's EASY to read, and still enjoy a very watchable picture for most network shows.  Obviously, I'm not going to watch "The Dark Knight" with the lights up - though I could do so and not miss much.
There's a difference between reading lights in a basement and sunlight. Unless things have changed greatly in recent times, watching a front-projected image during the day above ground is not going to cut it without blackout curtains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks