What's new

Plasma TV incable of handling HDMI input from a DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius
Here's my basic set up as it relates to my problem

Plasma: Panasonic TH50-PX20
The Plasma TV supports: 480i, 480p, 1080i (not 720p) and has an HDMI.

DVD: Sony RDR-GX355
In the setup menu, it allows me to choose either 480p, 720p or 1080i as an output for HDMI.

On initial set-up (DVD to TV via HDMI), I got 1-2 seconds of an image from the DVD followed by the screen going white.

Next, I connected the DVD to the TV via Component cables and get a picture. Having done this, I enter the DVD player menu. Sure enough, the HDMI setting defaults to 720p, so I'm thinking -- cool, that must be the problem.

In the menu for HDMI settings, I tried selecting both 480p or the 1080i and then reconnecting the DVD to the TV via HDMI -- still same 1-2 seconds of a picture, followed by a white screen.

I've tried several different cables with no luck. (I've also tried connecting the DVD to another TV via HDMI and it works, so the issue has to be with the plasma tv).

Any ideas? I know I can just give up and use the component cables, but I picked this DVD player specifically because it upscales (and I assume an HDMI connection is necessary for this...)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The Panasonic TH-50PX20U/P has a native resolution of 1366x768p, so I would suggest setting the output on the DVD player to match the native resolution of the set (720p). The Panny is also capable of accepting 480p and 1080i, which it will then scale to 720p. All plasma's are progressive scan displays.

Not sure if this helps!

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius

Unfortunately, no matter what I set the DVD to, whenever I try feeing a signal to it through the HDMI cable, I get no picture. At this point the only way to get a picture is to use component cables hooked to the TV. (Really want to use HDMI).

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
That particular DVD recorder is notorious for having every copy protection technology known to man fully implemented (for example, you can't record a lot of the movies broadcast on pay cable channels such as HBO and Showtime). I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of copy protection kicking in (like HDCP handshake).

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius

Interesting...think I may just return it and go for something else. (Although previously I'd purchased an upcoding Samsung which had the same problem, so me thinks there's still something wrong with the TV...)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
You're right, that might not solve your problem. But problems aside, there's no way in hell I'd pay for a DVD recorder that won't let me record programming that I want to record.

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius

My need for a DVD recorder is pretty minor, but was thinking since I need a new DVD player, might as well get one that records, as well.

So, do you have any recommendations as to one that would be less restrictive than the Sony?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks