What's new

Pioneer Elite 47TX as pre/pro vs. $1,500 or less pre/pros (1 Viewer)

Cliffk

Agent
I am facing a required upgrade situation as I am a not so proud owner of the Pioneer Elite 47TX. I have the Atlantic Tech Sys 350 speakers. My receiver shuts down pretty frequently when driven not much more than moderately because my speakers are 4 ohms.

Anyway, my first and obvious step will be to add separate SS amplification. To this end, I'll be going with ATI's new AT1807 due out mid-January -- 7 x 180 (8 ohms), 7 x 250 (4 ohms) (MSRP $1,999). I have an in with ATI and can basically buy at dealer cost.

I have been debating whether to keep the 47TX as a pre/pro or sell it and replace it with a standalone pre/pro. I figure I can get $1,100 - $1,200 for the 47TX. In that price range, that doesn't get me into much of a pre/pro. Even if a put another couple hundred with it, I'd only be looking at a class of pre/pro's (Outlaw, Rotel, Adcom, ?) that I'm not sure would outperform the 47TX.

I guess then, I have a couple of specific questions:

1. In your opinion, would a sub- $1,500 pre/pro best the 47TX for processing? (I guess I need to tell you that I'm 98% movies, 2% music with almost no dedicated 2 channel listening. Also, I have a 7.1 setup using a pair of Atl. Tech 251LR's as rear centers. So, 7.1 processing is important for me and like the 47TX's capabilities in this area (Ultra 2, 7 channel stereo for music).

2. How much impact on sound quality do you think I'll have by losing the room calibration feature that the Elite line offers? I ask this b/c my system now sounds much better with MCACC on in "front align" mode than with it off. It really smooths out the in-room response. I guess I'm a little afraid of losing this feature.

On balance, in my price range, I would lose Ultra 2 processing (and it's enhanced 7.1 modes for 5.1), general THX processing, and room equalization by going away from the 47TX. Is a standalone pre/pro's circuitry, lack of interference, etc. (in my price range) that much better to justify losing these important elements of quality movie sound reproduction?

How much would it change things if I could get a Sunfire Theater Grand III for dealer cost which would be in or near my price range (currently working on an in there)? What are its modes for taking a 5.1 or less source to 7.1?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is willing to provide me.

Take care,
Cliff

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Having gone through similar experience recently, I think your Elite will be as good or even better than the under $1500 prepros. With that ATI amp you should defintely be in business :emoji_thumbsup:
You basically take the receiver vs. prepro debate out when you say you want it for 98% HT and 2% music. If I were you I'd defintely hold on to the Elite because it has awesome processing powers and other features that any other prepro in that price range will not provide.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Nick. I would hate to give up the MCACC feature (it helped with some room response issues for me, too). Also, can you get THX Ultra 2 processing in a pre/pro for that price?

It's a shame the receiver's internal amps cannot handle your 4 ohm speaker load. The amps work great with my 8 ohm B&W's and sound wonderful to me. Do you really need to add 7 external channels of amplification, or could you just add two or three channels to take enough load off the receiver?

Cliffk

Agent
Nick & Scott,

Thanks for the thoughts here. It makes sense that the difference between a pre/pro and my receiver for movie processing is minimal.

Do you really need to add 7 external channels of amplification, or could you just add two or three channels to take enough load off the receiver?
I could just go with a 2 or 3 channel amp, but this problem is basically a good excuse to move in the direction of separates. And the deal I'm able to get on ATI amps makes it very worth it. By going ahead and buying a 7 channel amp, I'll be ready to add a pre/pro at any point in the future should that become desirable.

For now, I'm planning to stick with the 47TX unless someone can tell me that for the same money I'd make on the sale of the 47TX ($1,100 - $1,200) I could buy a pre/pro that would be better than it for movie processing.

Anyone with a different opinion?

Again, thanks for the help here.

Take care,
Cliff

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Cliff, you might want to do the following which will bring things in their perspective. Get the Outlaw 950 and Rotel 1066 as both of them offer decent 6.1 processing, etc. Pit them up against your Elite and see if you can hear any diffrences and do your own shootout if you will. Since you have a budget of $1200, those two should definitely fit into that. This way you'll take away all doubts whether a prepro in that price range will better the Elites or not. If neither the Outlaw nor the Rotel offer anything more, then simply return them and keep the Elite.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have the Outlaw 950,having said that I would keep the Elite,not because the 950 is bad in anyway but I doubt it would be much better if at all,then the Elite.
Is multichannel music something you like or,planning to add in the future?
If yes, the 950 has BM on it's 6ch analog input,does the 47TX has that too?I consider that a major reason why I got the Outlaw,but YMMV.

Cliffk

Agent
Nick, great thought on the comparo. Especially if I wanted to compare the 950. Obtaining the Rotel would be difficult as there are no dealers anywhere near me. Even if I could talk someone into mail ordering it to me, they probably wouldn't have a very favorable return policy. But I might try the Outlaw once I get my new amp.

Lewis, thanks for chiming in here. I will be upgrading to a DVD-A player this summer at the same time I add my FPTV video display. So, at that point, bass management would be nice. I don't think the 47TX offers any, but I'm gonna go study my manual now. If it does offer it, I'll post that here.

Thanks,
Cliff

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't think the 47TX offers any, but I'm gonna go study my manual now. If it does offer it, I'll post that here.
I will save you the time, Cliff. Take it from an owner who has checked this out -- the 47TX does not provide any bass management for the 5.1 analog inputs. You need to step up to the 49TX for that feature. Fortunately for me, I usually prefer the two-channel mixes on the hi-rez formats, and my main speakers (B&W 604's) have good bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks