What's new

Pioneer 92TXH: Low volume output? (1 Viewer)

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently (Saturday) purchased a new Pioneer Elite receiver to replace my aging Sony 555-ES.

I get all my connections hooked up (HDMI, component, FiberOp, etc..), fire it up, run the MCACC, set the volume to -40db and put in the Blu-ray of Batman Begins.

And hear nothing.

As it turns out, I had to take my new Pioneer all the way up to -17db before I could get a reasonable sound output. Suffice to say, this is very unnerving since I rarely needed to take my old Sony past -35db. I tried -20db on the ES once and it nearly blew my ears off.

My question to you guy is: Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior from the Pioneer Elite series? I currently have my Blu-ray connected via HDMI cable and my XBOX360 connected through fiber optic cables. I tried turning MCACC off and only saw a slight volume increase (taken to -19db). My speakers are currently bi-amped using the Pioneer's configuration. In my head, I want to think that this new 92TXH is going to be far lounder than my old ES since it's so much more powerful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Did you check you're db settings on you receiver?

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters

How did you bi-amp your speakers with a receiver?? If you're running 7.1 you'll need 14 channels of power??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scott, it is very simple and nothing to worry about. The receiver is working exactly the way it is supposed to. On calibrated THX units, "Reference" playback level is at "0", and the volume actually goes into the + range. This is completely different from non THX units, where the sound level is completely arbitrary.

BTW, this is regardless of if you have THX engaged. It is just how THX units are set up to operate.

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic, thanks for the info John.

By the way, I don't have enough speakers to run a 7.1 configuration right now, so I have my fronts bi-amped using Pioneer's instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjweav
Recent bookmarks