What's new

pink panther boxset (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
I know there's another thread on this but I couldn't find it on the search engine.

Listings for this box set state the films contained as -

THE PINK PANTHER
A SHOT IN THE DARK
THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN
THE REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER
THE TRAIL OF THE PINK PANTHER

But what's happened to THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER ?
Surely that's more worthy of inclusion than TRAIL, which is a dismal cash-in made after Seller's death ?
The extras on the bonus disc sound great and - despite not being a rabid fan of the movies - I was pretty much sold on this set. But the absence of RETURN (one of the better entries) might be a dealbreaker for me.
Anyone know if these specs are accurate and, if so, why ?

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
IIRC "Return..." was released by another studio than MGM, that would explain its exclusion...
Actually, all the movies were released by United Artists. UA has changed hands a few times sine then. Somewhere along the line Return got lost, and MGM/UA do not hold the rights to it. Artisan released a DVD in R1 some time ago. I'm going to pick up the box (all are anamorphic unlike the R1 DVD's) and then wait for a decent edition of Return.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
When's this one due to come out? I really really want an SE of the original...

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
UA has changed hands a few times sine then. Somewhere along the line Return got lost, and MGM/UA do not hold the rights to it.
RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER was actually made by ITC (which would now be Carlton), because UA didn't want to finance it at the time of its production (guess they didn't think it would do as well as it did). So even though UA released the movie, they didn't *own* it like they do all the other PANTHER films.

That's why RETURN's rights have always been owned by ITC/Carlton, who in turn licensed them to Live/Artisan in the U.S.A.

BTW, which region is this PANTHER box set coming out in? It's too bad they don't throw CURSE OF THE PINK PANTHER on there, just to complete the original series (I'm forgetting about SON OF altogether).

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
I believe this is due for region 2 - please correct me if I'm wrong!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Isn't there a current region 1 box-set with all the above mentioned titles and "Revenge Of The Pink Panther" replacing the "Trail Of The Pink Panther" disc? I believe it also includes the 8-page booklet and all the titles are featured in widescreen. Although I can't seem to find it on Amazon.com I am certain I've seen it before and have had it on my wishlist for a long while. The extra features on this new UK set are making me contemplate the purchase though... Does anyone know if they are featured on a seperate disc because if so, I might just purchase it and than resell the set on Ebay minus the bonus disc... unless of course one of you would like to sell me the bonus disc directly... ;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Btw, this is the box art for the upcoming set...

Does anyone know what the 6 featured bonus shorts are?

I hope they're not rehashed from the Jet Pink cartoon collection...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks