What's new

Picture distortion. Help! (1 Viewer)

SeanN

Auditioning
I just found this site and think it's awesome! I was hoping you experts could help me with a problem I have:

I have a Sony 40" XBR flat screen tube t.v. (about 6 months old) and
have been getting small, light green distortions on the right side of
the screen for the past two weeks. It's small, maybe 3 inches tall and
1/2 in wide - right on the very edge of the screen. There's an even
smaller green distortion on the upper left hand side of the screen
too. It's very noticeable when the picture background is a light color
or white but can't be seen if it's black or a dark color. At first I
thought it was the subwoofer being to close to the screen but moving
it made no difference. What could be causing this and how can I fix
this? Any help would be appreciated!

Steve Schaps

Auditioning
Hi Sean,

Sounds like you have a speaker too close to the TV which is affecting picture, or if the TV has speakers on each side of the screen, that One of the sheilds has fallen off exposing the magnet.

The other thing that my help is to turn off the TV rather than put it into standby with the remote control. This will de-magnatize the screen raster.

Hope this helps
Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It sounds exactly like magnetic interference to me. Move your speakers farther away and do as Steve says: Unplug the set then plug it back in again and turn it on. Hate the be the bearer of bad news, but the tube may be permanently affected.

SeanN

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. I moved the subwoofer away and noticed a smaller distortion although it is still there. I just realized that the family computer is actually quite close to the TV - I didn't consider it since there's a wall in between but it it within a foot or two of the TV! Could the computer be putting out a magnetic field strong enough to cause this problem? We've had a TV in that spot before with the computer right near it and never had any other distortion problems in the past.

I've heard that Sony TV's no longer have a degaussing feature built in to them and that I may need to buy a degaussing coil to degauss the TV. Anyone ever done that? How much does it cost? Is it hard to do?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Sony models that I'm familiar with still have an auto-degauss.

It may take a few power cycles and/or a few days for this to clear. Rapid power cycling will not activate the degausser, so that will not help.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks