What's new

Philips DVP 5990, video projector, and progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Nordic

Auditioning
Real Name
Vesa
I've bought the Philips VDP 5990 DVD Player. When I connect it to my Sanyo Plv-Z1 video projector using the component cables, I don't seem to be able to activate Progressive Scan, despite following the Philips manual's instructions for setting up progressive scan via the component connection.

When I select the progressive scan option, I get a notification asking me to check that my TV (!) supports progressive scan and then press OK to confirm activation. But when I do press OK, the "progressive" option always reverts to "Off".

The extremely complicated instructions in the user manual say one should first *disable* DE-interlacing on one's TV (it always only talks about TVs) before doing the above. Of course, there is no way to disable it on the video projector.

However, even when the option is off, the picture looks as good as via a VGA connector from my PC. Perhaps this is because, apparently, the Plv-Z1 has a built-in line doubler.

Philips' product support failed to respond. Any comments/suggestions?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
can you do HDMI? I remember having problems hooking up my dvd player to the tv set when I first got it.

Jacob

Nordic

Auditioning
Real Name
Vesa
No, not with my current video projector - it doesn't support HDMI.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I remember having problems setting the progressive. I think I used red, yellow, and white cables and then went into setting and did that.. perhaps that could help?

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks