What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Mission: Impossible 25th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CELEBRATE THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FILM THAT LIT THE FUSE ON ONE OF CINEMA’S BIGGEST ACTION FRANCHISES

MI.jpg

Newly Remastered, 25th Anniversary Collector’s Edition Blu-ray™ Arrives May 18, 2021

Relive every pulse-pounding moment of the original big-screen blockbuster MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE as it celebrates its 25th anniversary with a newly remastered Collector’s Edition Blu-ray on May 18, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Originally released on May 22, 1996, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE thrilled audiences with its breathtaking and action-packed story of secret agents and international espionage. Tom Cruise ignites the screen as IMF agent Ethan Hunt, a character that continues to capture the imaginations of fans around the world as the franchise builds toward the highly anticipated seventh installment.

Directed by Brian De Palma (The Untouchables), with a screenplay by David Koepp (Jurassic Park) and Robert Towne (Chinatown), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE will return to select theaters for a limited run in May through Fathom Events and Paramount Pictures. Details about the theatrical run will be announced in April.

The newly remastered Collector’s Edition Blu-ray includes an exclusive car decal and a gallery of the original trailers for the first six Mission: Impossible films. The disc also includes the following previously released bonus content:
Blu-ray
· Mission: Remarkable – 40 Years of Creating the Impossible
· Mission: Explosive Exploits
· Mission: Spies Among Us
· Mission: Catching the Train
· Mission: International Spy Museum
· Mission: Agent Dossiers
· Excellence in Film: Cruise
· Generation: Cruise
· Photo Gallery
· Theatrical Trailers
o Mission: Impossible Teaser
o Mission: Impossible Trailer
· TV Spots

Synopsis
Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is a top-secret agent, framed for the deaths of his espionage team. Fleeing from government assassins, breaking into the CIA's most impenetrable vault, clinging to the roof of a speeding bullet train, Hunt races like a burning fuse to stay one step ahead of his pursuers...and draw one step closer to discovering the shocking truth.
# # #

PARAMOUNT PICTURES PRESENTS A CRUISE WAGNER PRODUCTION A BRIAN DE PALMA FILM
TOM CRUISE
"MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE"
JON VOIGHT EMMANUELLE BEART HENRY CZERNY JEAN RENO VING RHAMES KRISTIN SCOTT-THOMAS
and VANESSA REDGRAVE
Costume Designer PENNY ROSE Special Visual Effects and Animation by INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC
Special Make-Up Effects by ROB BOTTIN Music by DANNY ELFMAN
Executive Producer PAUL HITCHCOCK Edited by PAUL HIRSCH, A.C.E.
Production Designer NORMAN REYNOLDS Director of Photography STEPHEN H. BURUM, A.S.C.
Based on the Television Series "MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE" created by BRUCE GELLER
Story by DAVID KOEPP and STEVEN ZAILLIAN Screenplay by DAVID KOEPP and ROBERT TOWNE
Produced by TOM CRUISE and PAULA WAGNER
Directed by BRIAN DE PALMA

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
Street Date: May 18, 2021
U.S. Rating: PG-13 for some intense action violence

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Huh.

This is interesting.

Mission: Impossible is one of those franchises I like but I've never gotten around to picking up on disc. I was planning to get the 6-disc Blu-ray box set at some point, which I'm sure is cheaper than buying all 6 of the existing films separately.

But since this one is remastered, I'd rather have this edition of the first film than the older one in the package.

I guess I could get this and then buy the 6-pack to get the other films, but then I would have a duplicate of the first film.

As it happens, May is particularly crowded this year for me in terms of new releases. So I guess this will go on the "I'll get it eventually" list as well and I'll sort out what I want to buy later.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's odd that if this is a remaster, that a new 4k disc release isn't offered as well.

How old is the original 4K release?

I'm just guessing here. But if they released it on 4K fairly recently, maybe they don't feel the need to remaster it. This could be an upgraded Blu-ray compared to its original Blu-ray release, but drawn from the master done for the original 4K release.

Again, I don't know what I'm talking about, so that's just a guess.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It's odd that if this is a remaster, that a new 4k disc release isn't offered as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2018 UHD set did not contain remastered Blu-ray copies to go with it. The Blu-rays in the set were the old editions from the early days of the format (half of which only had lossy Dolby Digital audio). I assume that this release is a downconversion from the existing 4K UHD master. Essentially, it's the Blu-ray that should have been bundled in the UHD set.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's what I was getting at too, but @JoshZ expressed it better. Thanks.

That raises the question of whether or not the older sequels will be reissued as well in similar fashion. Of course, Paramount has the seventh film scheduled for release later this year and an eighth one next year. So there will be obvious cross-promotional opportunities to do that.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
That's what I was getting at too, but @JoshZ expressed it better. Thanks.

That raises the question of whether or not the older sequels will be reissued as well in similar fashion. Of course, Paramount has the seventh film scheduled for release later this year and an eighth one next year. So there will be obvious cross-promotional opportunities to do that.

It's really only the first three movies that ever needed remastering. The Blu-ray copies for Ghost Protocol forward were always fine and probably wouldn't see much improvement from BD reissues (lacking 4K and HDR).

My inclination is to assume that Paramount will eventually reissue MI-2 and MI-3 with downconversions from the 4K masters. However, MI-2 is traditionally the least popular entry in the franchise (ironic, considering that it was the top box office earner for 2000) and will be hard to justify as a standalone.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's really only the first three movies that ever needed remastering.

Yeah, that's why I said "older sequels." We'll see what happens. Perhaps they'll just bundle remastered Blu-rays of those in the eventual box set that comes out when movies 7 and 8 are done.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think if this sells decently enough, they’ll keep going, and if it doesn’t, they won’t. The costs are minimal since the new masters already exist. Paramount seems to be making a real effort to push stuff out into the marketplace to get one last bite of the physical media apple and I appreciate the effort.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, that "newly remastered" claim may be misleading. It may be the first time that master is available on the standard Blu-ray format, but I seriously doubt if it's a newer master than the 4K versions already available. It sounds like they are marketing specifically to people who refuse to upgrade to 4K and digital platforms. Might as well introduce a remastered DVD too for the people stuck on that format!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, that "newly remastered" claim may be misleading. It may be the first time that master is available on the standard Blu-ray format, but I seriously doubt if it's a newer master than the 4K versions already available. It sounds like they are marketing specifically to people who refuse to upgrade to 4K and digital platforms. Might as well introduce a remastered DVD too for the people stuck on that format!
That and a FunKo POP will probably be a Wal*Mart exclusive ;) ...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks