What's new

Personal Ballpark Experiences 2004 (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from the Red Sox game (at Fenway) yesterday, and I sat in the Best/Worst seats ever!

They were behind the Red Sox dugout (which made them AWESOME seat!) but we were in the very first row of the 2nd section. We were right behind the walkway where everyone was walking. The game was PACKED and the first 2 innings were a wash because we couldn't see passed the people walking to thier seats (which was why they were the worst). It was an endless stream of people for over 30 minutes. :frowning:

But it all worked out in the end, and after the 2nd inning, we were practically on top of the field with the view we had. :emoji_thumbsup:

But no matter how bad the seats were, it just made the experience that much more memorable. The guy next to us has had season tickets there since 1988 and he was funny. He kept yelling "Move it along! Find your seats! Down in Front!" :laugh: and we talked to the seat usher (who had been working there since the 60's :eek:) and he was funny. He kept talking about how bad he feels for the people who sit in those seats.

Say what you want about crappy stadiums, but I say their charm and uniquness can't be matched with the brand new ones. The new ones are cool, but they're too sterile and boring.

Like I've always said: If you want to watch the game...see it on tv. If you want to experience the game...there's nothing like going to the park.LMAO! :laugh: How ironic is that because we got Italian grinders after the game and my buddy dripped his peppers and onions on the ground. I steeped in it later and my shoe was all slippery. :D I kept thinking about the above quote as I was scraping the mess from under my shoe.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I'm thinking of flying down from Seattle to go to Dodger Stadium in May. Which airport should I fly into, Burbank or LAX? I hear the drive is nice into the park, but is it taxi close or just as cheap to rent a car?

Doug

James T

Screenwriter
My favourite stadium is Fenway. I loved it there. It may be a small stadium, but at least it's guarenteed that every seat is a good seat. I also like the vendors throwing snacks to you. They have excellent aim. I think I only remember seeing the vendor miss once, throughout the game. When I went there, someone was walking around with a New York Yankees hat. Everyone was booing him. Then he took off his jacket and he was wearing a Clemens NY jersey. The boos became louder and the BoSox fans started throwing popcorn and drinks at him.

I also like Safeco field. It's what the Skydome should have been like(or will be like if the Jays move to a new stadium).

I don't like Skydome's artifical grass. It's just plain looking.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I've been to 2 stadiums in my lifetime, Network Associates and Candlestick Park. In May, I'll be visiting Miller Park to see the Dodgers and Brewers play during my vacation.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I believe that was me.

I'll redo it here now that I've been to Yankee Stadium last weekend.

By faves

Wrigley Field
I've been twice now, once each of the last 2 years. Two years ago we caught Oswalt vs Wood, which was a sweet matchup. It is by far the best setting, the most classic surroundings I have been in for a game. The stadium is old, but who cares. And there is less pumped up rock and modern electronics in your face during the game.

Most amazing is how small this stadium is from the outside. Even behind the home plate grandstands you almost feel like you could scale the wall and sneak in. Great park.

Yankee Stadium
The Bronx makes for a very old-timey backdrop with just the right hint of urban setting. Like Wrigley this is a stadium that is just in a neighborhood, though not as cool an area as around Wrigley (think Yankee Stadium in Greenwich or something). I just did this one last weekend. We were in the upper deck, but the view was actually pretty good for the cheap seats. A little rock is going on and the out-of-town scoreboard was dumped for more advertising space, but its still a nice setting for baseball. Very little about the stadium feels modern.

The Ballpark
The Rangers "new" home is beautiful. By mixing and matching architectures they have captured a bit of everything good about classic ballparks. I caught 2 Yankee games there a few summers ago and it was scorching hot (August), even at night. Once was upper level, once was bleachers in CF. The bleachers were a great atmosphere. The place is big from the outside and extremely clean and modern, but it also feels like a very traditional baseball setting. I highly recommend visiting this stadium.

Pac Bell
Dead lock with The Ballpark. We only walked around inside the place since the season was just ended last fall. Great feeling unique to SF with McCovey Cove out past RF, plus the trolley in CF, open OF walls in RF where you can look in/enter from the walkway going behind the stadium. Even a Ferry station and marina behind CF. You even have at least one bridge in the OF skyline. Oh, and did I mention that the giant Coke bottle in LF contains a series of slides for kids (and perhaps adults I guess :) ). You also have the beautiful matching Mays/McCovery statues, Mays in front of the park and McCovey out in the cove. The architecture is outstanding, the park has tons of character, and the layout features nice signiture quirks all over the place. Maybe if I'd seen a game there I would have it ahead of The Ballpark.

Safeco
Seattle makes for an incredible backdrop for this stadium and the fair weather means plenty of days with the roof open enjoying the salt water air and pleasantly warm sun. Like The Ballpark, Safeco features a variety of styles/dimensions in the park so that it has that quirky uniquness. However, Safeco does feel more space-age than The Ballpark. But a benefit over The Ballpark is the proximity to downtown Seattle, which is key in my enjoyment too. I prefer Texas, but I wouldn't pass up a day in this joint either.

Astrodome
While in Houston, pre-Minute Maid unfortunately (not in my have-been-to list yet) I went to the Dome endless times, including many playoff games. Frankly it was a dreary place to see a game. The turf looked like a faded carpet, the cement was old in a charmless way, and there was very little identity left since Bud Adams had the giant scoreboard replaced with seats. I did like the cheap OF bleachers that were sold 2 hours before the game. That often meant a rowdy crowd in the OF at least. The Dome was nowhere near downtown and being covered it didn't matter anyway I guess. Parking SUCKED. There was something cool about a space capsule sitting outside the stadium though.

New Comiskey (US Cellular)
It got a bit of a revamp and was better last year than in previous years, but New Comiskey is the closest thing to the generic 70's stadiums to come out of the recent string of new stadiums. Granted it was one of the first and didn't have all the others to look to for examples, but there is something very dull about light bulp pinwheels as the main unique function of an otherwise very basic stadium. No special architecture, no particularly odd dimensions. The wide walkway in the OF is about the only nice thing the stadium features. It doesn't even face downtown Chicago.

Hopefully this year I will be able to add Great American Ballpark (Cincy) and Minute Maid (Houston) to my list. I would also like to get to Pittsburgh to see that one.

Indy has Victory Field which by most accounts is one of the finest minor league parks around. You have the TeePee in CF, a great old-time clock/scoreboard, and an excellent complete OF lawn seating area. Plus a nice cement picnic section for special events. The CF backdrop is downtown Indy dead center and the stadium is just on the edge of downtown, walking distance from the heart of the city (Indy is small compared to CHI, SF, or NY).

Spring Training

Angels
A's
I don't remember anything special about either, though IIRC the Angels have a rocky formation off to the left of the field and feature a nice lawn area. I do remember that both were very relaxing places to see a game and allowed for some closeness to the players.

Legends - Yanks
Cool field, nice imitation of the Yankee Stadium look. No OF lawn, boo, but you can sneak a free peak from the people bridge over the road next to the stadium. They feature Outback food which means a blooming onion right at the game in seconds. Parking is decent but the Yanks are so popular that getting to this stadium is a real chore no matter what.

Tigers (Lakeland)
Great stadium since they redid it. Feels tropical, no view of streets and highways when you are in the park, very nice grass area in LF. Bullpen is isolated in RF, but other than that this is a top notch place to see a game. They have several very cool food places that are done in the style of 50's diners. Beware, parking sucks, just use the street and walk.

Phillies - Brightpoint in Clearwater
Beautiful new stadium that looks like the Tigers in some aspects. It features a cool Tiki Bar in LF, a big picnic/groups area in the cement in front of that bar as well. LC, CF, and RF all have big lawn areas. Bullpen can be viewed from above in LF which is cool too. Everything about this stadium is top notch. Make sure to check out the statue in front of the place as well.

Minnesota - Ft. Myers
The outside was the best of all the parks I saw, but inside was sort of generic. Comfortable, but it lacked a certain style. Again, no OF lawn, boo. The stands do allow for some SRO are just in front of the upper section, which is good unless you are sitting in the front row of that section and people use the space by your feet to set all their stuff down and sometimes block your view even. Worth visiting, especially to see the outside, but it makes for only an okay time at the park.

Tampa Bay - St. Pete
Sits in the shadown of Tropicana almost, the area is fantastically relaxed with a marina just beyond the OF. There is a limited bit of lawn down either line, none in the actual OF. Seating is comfortable however. The stadium doesn't really have a feel too it other than being very tropical, which in spring training is a pretty cool thing. I didn't love it but I did like it.

Reds - Sarasota
Dumpy, uncomfortable old park with no OF lawn. The upper section seating was especially cramped and wasn't a great angle either. It is cool how the stadium is right on the city streets so that foul balls go right out onto the street, but getting to the park was a bit difficult, at least the way we came right past the stadium. I recommend using the SRO area on the walkway between the lower and upper sections.

Pirates - Brandenton
Just as old as the Reds park, but it has a bit more classic layout, and sits in an area that feels a bit more like city than suburbs. Again the street is just some 40-50 feet from the playing field behind 3rd base line which is cool. No lawn but big open bleachers sit down LF and RF line, not really comfortable but open and less cramped feeling than at the Reds park. Plus the bullpens sit down either line and you can stand just a few feet away and watch them warm up or get autographs. Not a great park, but it has its old style charm that makes it worth a visit.

It's not baseball, but I will say that even though its new, the effort to go so fully retro makes Conseco Fieldhouse (Pacers) in the same area as The Ballpark or what Camden appears to be like. It feels classic even though its very new. The adverts around the concourse are painted on the brick walls and are all down in an art style of the 50s. The RCA advert is a false front of a TV shop featuring old time RCA cabinets with new moniters sitting in them showing pre-game shows, so you can stand in front of the "window" and watch TV ala the 50s. Plus one end features pull-out bleachers just like your high-school gym, and the upper window layout is made to look like Butler Fieldhouse which was featured in the film Hoosiers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I won’t bother with all of the stadiums where I’ve seen games, but I will mention my very first, when I was about to go into the third or fourth grade—an outing sponsored by a summer day camp associated with the local school system.

Sportsman’s Park in St. Louis to see an afternoon game between the St. Louis Browns and the Cleveland Indians.

I by now have no idea as to who won. But my Dad was quite excited, as the starting pitcher for Cleveland was Bob Feller his own self.

For the historically challenged, the Browns moved to Baltimore and changed their name.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Despite the endless escalators/ramps, and the movie-theater sticky floor, I love Shea Stadium. Shoot, even getting there is an adventure (one day a parking lot gate will be open, next day it'll be closed...and the 'C' in Parking Lot C stands for 'crater'.)

Haven't been to that other stadium in NY in ages, then again, I don't go to a ball game to have chunks of concrete falling on my head!

Speaking of concrete chunks, I've been to quite a few at the late Veteran's stadium...great thing was that you could buy general admissions and always find room in the field level. But in the last few years, even Phillies Phans called the place a dump. Kind of weird to see a baseball game with hashmarks and yard lines still clearly marked on the field. And I can't wait to sit at Citizen's Bank Park...got tix for games in May, June, and September.

I've also had occasion to see Camden Yards, a great ballpark with horrible traffic/parking arrangements. But even in the upper deck, you're still got a great view of the on field action. Should be fun this year with Tejada, Lopez, and Palmiero.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

The 3rd Street bridge next to the ballpark is the one used in a James Bond Movie where he uses a Fire Engine to Jump the gap.
I went down the slide with my niece and I have to admit it was fun.
And besides everything I was there for Barry's HR #660 (also #500 #600 and the ones that broke McGuires records) and it is much better when you have a game.
Candlestick was fun watching the players from Atlanta & other hot climates rub their hands and turn blue. We also had season tickets there 3 rows from the field and could see Willie up close along with everyone else

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
One thing I didn't realize about Pac Bell before going there was that there was a wide sidewalk between the OF wall and the water, one that you could even apparently enter the game from through those RF gates. I always thought it was wall then water.

I noticed all the HR markers on that sidewalk. Since Ruth has their ever been a stadium so totally designed to showcase its star player like Pac Bell is.

Now 3rd street is the drawbridge right? The one right by the ballpark.

Then what is the bridge that goes out to an island area, is that the Bay Bridge? That's also in the sightlines looking out past LF.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here are 3 photos from the April 10th Yankee Stadium visit. They are still fairly big even though I really reduced them.

First my wife on the subway platform just outside the stadium. It was a real thrill as we came above ground and next to the ballpark because for a few seconds you can see right into the seating and whatnot. Very cool for a first ever look at the place.

Then from where we were standing when the BP HR ball almost tagged us.

Then from our seats. The 2nd photo was from the Canon sign area in LF, back past the seats to the little SRO-like area whose purpose I didn't understand really.

LewB

Screenwriter
Seth:
Looks like you were there plenty early, did you go to Monument Park ?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
No, because the line looked to be about an hour long with only about 35 minutes till it closed.

I plan to go back pretty soon so I figured I'd try to go on a non-game day and do that ballpark tour that includes the monuments as well as a trip down to the dugout.

My favorite things about going to the ballpark are getting there early enough for BP and early enough to watch them manicure the field. I really love that stuff, its very relaxing to me.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
So those look like Tier MVP or was that the section above?

I'm going there next month and I'm anxious :)

I probably won't have time to see Monument park but can I go like early in the afternoon instead of before the game because we're going to have to rush to get to the game due to other plans.

Did you buy your tickets from Ticketmaster or did you get them locally or from a broker near the stadium on the day of?

I'm just trying to plan ahead here.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
While I'm killing the thread load time :) , here's some other photos to go with my experiences. It's a lot so it might be a slower load. I guess I'll see if its too much for anyone and if so then I'll setup links instead.

The Mays statue in front of Pac Bell

Me hopping on the trolley in CF. There are rows of pairs of seats just on the other side, perhaps for handicap seating or maybe just some special area.

You have to love a marina and ferry station just outside CF.

Now here is a dreary place, the Astrodome. That's Lima-Time on the mound in the 2nd to last game ever in the Dome. A lady had a baby and wanted to move back under the deck to avoid foul balls so my wife and I got to move forward. Turns out it was the player's family/wives section and we heard bits of gossip and stuff, none of which I really remember. But you had to watch who you heckled. :)

There's that capsule, one of the few touches that still gave the place some life of its own.

Okay, now this is the bomb. Oswalt vs Kerry Wood.

Great skyline view from Safeco, to the mid-left you can see the Needle. This is from the top of the ramp inside the park out around the upper deck OF.

Closer look from another spot in the park, the Needle is in between the supports of the Safeco sign (actually the supports for the lights above the sign).

View of the retractable roof in the open position. It was a great Seattle day when we went to this game between the M's and the A's.

And some spring shots. Here are two of the Minny park, the second one is me in front of the beautiful fountains outside the park.

This is Brightpoint, the new Philly place, probably the best of the FLA stadiums I went to. If you look at the scoreboard you can see the temp in red lights - 82 degrees. During the first inning of every spring game I went to they would announce the temps at the park and then follow it up with the temps back in the two home cities of the teams. This always drew huge applause. :) The lawn seating goes all around the OF except in the batter's view and where the bullpen is.

I was early enough for Yankee warmups and got right down to field level. That's ARod in the middle about to throw a ball back to Jeter (out of picture) and Giambi is on the far left facing away (he's shorter than you might expect for a 1B).

Speaking of players, you never know who you might bump into. Here in the blue hat is John Kruk signing autographs, just walking around the park.

I love ballparks where you can see right into the bullpen. Brightpoint definitely gets the fans close to the players.

Kevin Brown is rounding 2nd, he just jacked the first pitch from Billy Wagner (not just to him, first pitch he threw to anyone) for a HR. The inning before that Sheffield ended my no-HR's-in-any-game-I've-been-to streak at 4 when he put a Millwood pitch onto the roof of the Tiki Bar out in LF with the Frenchies sign on it. I got a Margarita out there before the game which was about as good as watching the playoffs last year at the beach bar in Hawaii during the honeymoon (she's a keeper if she lets you watch baseball on the honeymoon :D ).

I loved Joker Marchant stadium in Lakeland, home of the Tigers.

Here's one of the diner-style concession stands I mentioned early. Little touches like this help make JM a great ballpark.

Here's a post rain delay look at the field. Note the nice lawn area in LF which I think all minor and spring stadiums should feature, and the bullpen out there in RF far from the fans (lame).

And to wrap it up, here's an action shot of Rondell White swinging at a pitch. I forget who was pitching for the Cards by this point, but as you can see on the scoreboard the Tigers had already given them a pounding. Shades of things to come in the 2004 season maybe??

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It is FLA after all. :)
I noticed that they had hot girls up for all of the contests there, not that I was complaining.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Nice shots Seth!

Here are a few that I would like to share:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40804...LRFgABaWjFgziC

My buddy and I are shown here at Wrigley (I'm holding the last blue "K" in the first row of the LF bleachers) during a Cubs vs. Marlins game in 1998. Sosa hit a HR that day that was about 10 feet to my left :frowning:

The rest of these are shots from Safeco Field:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40804...LRFgABe8LtwHT_

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40804...MRFgAB95ThNZ1p

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40804...LRFgABIfvHn9vc

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40804...LRFgABBOCDIJnF

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Haha - thanks Mark! You should hear the crap I am taking right now now in my Softball league! I'm used to it though, have had 30 years of it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks