What's new

Paul Newman has passed away (merged) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Met a sweet young thing named Tandy last night and she was telling me her mother was a friend of Jessica Tandy, thus the name.
I'd mentioned that one of my favorite movies was Nobody's Fool with Jessica and Paul Newman and that she really should rent it.
I'm sure Lew and I are both partial to Nobody's Fool in part from our Hudson Valley experience. I lived in Beacon and Fishkill where much of this was filmed.
But, it is a wonderful film that I've watch many times.
Cool Hand Luke will always be in my top 10.
By chance, Natalie Wood, at about age 15, was in The Silver Chalice (1954), probably Paul's first leading role.
The last time I felt like this over an actor passing away was when Nastasha drowned.
Just been reviewing his filmography and it covers such a huge chunk of my movie going experience.
Damn.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
RIP, Mr. Newman. You will be greatly missed.
Gonna eat some Newman O's and maybe watch The Towering Inferno tonite. He had his Broadway debut at the Music Box theater where I work and I got to meet his business partner A E Hotchner who produced a show there as well. We had some yummy Nemwan's Own treats backstage alot.

Sad day but what a legacy both as a performer and as a humanitarian.

:frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"He set the bar too high for the rest of us. Not just actors, but all of us." – George Clooney

"He was my hero." – Julia Roberts

"There is a point where feelings go beyond words. I have lost a real friend. My life — and this country — is better for his being in it." – Robert Redford.

"I was blessed to have known him. The world is better because of him. Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." – Sally Field, his costar in Absence of Malice

"He was one of the greatest screen actors of all time and a beautiful man. I think an era just ended." – Daniel Craig

"He was a master of his craft — an artist respected and emulated by his peers and beloved by movie fans around the world." – Dan Glickman, the chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America

"Paul Newman's craft was acting. His passion was racing. His love was his family and friends. And his heart and soul were dedicated to helping make the world a better place for all." – Robert Forrester, vice-chairman of Newman's Own Foundation, which has donated more than $250 million charities worldwide

"Paul Newman was the ultimate cool guy who men wanted to be like and women adored. He was an American icon, a brilliant actor, a Renaissance man and a generous but modest philanthropist. He entertained millions in some of Hollywood's most memorable roles ever, and he brightened the lives of many more, especially seriously ill children, through his charitable works. – California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Paul was an American icon, philanthropist and champion for children. We will miss our dear friend, whose continued support always meant the world to us. Our prayers and thoughts are with Joanne and the Newman family and the many people who Paul impacted through his endless kindness and generosity." – U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and former President Bill Clinton

"Paul Newman played many unforgettable roles. But the ones for which he was proudest never had top billing on the marquee. Devoted husband. Loving father. Adoring grandfather. Dedicated philanthropist... Always and to the end, Dad was incredibly grateful for his good fortune. In his own words: 'It's been a privilege to be here.' He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves us with extraordinary inspiration to draw upon. During this difficult time, we ask for privacy for our family." – Statement from Newman's three daughters Elinor, Melissa and Claire.

A Hollywood legend.

R.I.P Mr. Newman :frowning:

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
One thing I always liked was how great Newman was in nearly ALL of his lesser known films from the 50's and 60's. "Somebody Up There Likes Me," "The Left Handed Gun," and "The Young Philadelphians" come to mind. I think he was/is the best movie star of the last fifty+ years bar none.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Here's what I admire most about Paul Newman: he really did walk the walk in wanting to make a better place for others. The creation of the Newman's Own food brand (which has surprisingly really good food!) meant that he helped provide an amazing US$250 million in charitable contributions since that company was founded in 1982.

And this on top of a legendary acting career and a great career in motorsports, too.

Today, we should celebrate a life that was truly lived to the fullest. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I was riding in the taxi to get home last Saturday, and me and my driver got to talking about ill celebrities. My driver said that Paul Newman was on the way out. Here we are a week later, and now he has died.

This is a very sad moment for movie-goers. I recall watching "The Color Of Money" on Turner Classic Movies back in 2003 and I thought he did a great job in the movie.

He was great in "The Verdict", too. I think that his best scene would have to be this one...There's just such truth to this message:

A great actor who will be much-missed.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Earlier this year, I purchased a poster for "The Color Of Money", which was rather rare. Why? It was autographed by Newman, who wasn't really all that keen on signing autographs in his later years. Pretty cool, huh?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now only was he one of the great charismatic presences to light up the silver screen, but he's probably the only man considered a stud by both my retired mother and my college-age girl friends.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
With each passing of a great actor it feels as if the best days of Hollywood are also slipping away from us. All of this makes me sad as does the loss of a true legend. :frowning::frowning:

RIP, Mr. Newman.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Paul Newman will be missed.

Generous with his time and contributions for local charities. A patron of the arts. While his wife (Joanne Woodward) was more directly involved in the local theatre, the Westport Playhouse, Paul would show up and get much needed attention for the play.

Generous to the Westport library for year and years. Goodness knows how many local charities benefited not just from contributions from his Newman's Own products but by Paul offering up film memorabilia to be auctioned off, race car lessions or the like ... things that created a buzz that contributed far more than just the dollar value of the item, but helping to make the entire event a success.

A class act. Rest in Peace.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A few months ago. I wrote to Mr.Newman for an autograph. He had been signing autographs again for the last few years. Three weeks ago. I got it back signed. He will be sorely missed.

I know most will remember him for the Sting, Butch Cassidy or the Hustler. But, to me he will always be Reg Dunlap from Slap Shot....

RIP :frowning:

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
For those that may want to watch some of his perhaps lesser known films as a way of remembering his career there is From The Terrace ( 1960 - Fox ), and A New Kind Of Love ( 1963 - Paramount ). Both are 2:35 and also star his wife Joanne Woodward. I do wish they would bring out The Private War Of Harry Frigg. He had a great supporting role in The Hudsucker Proxy too. All of his films should be on dvd.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
R.I.P.

Hollywood has lost one of the greatest actors the industry has ever seen.

Some of Newman's most notable film performances...
1956 "Somebody Up There Likes Me"
1958 "The Long, Hot Summer"
1958 "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"
1961 "The Hustler"
1963 "Hud"
1967 "Cool Hand Luke"
1969 "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"
1973 "The Sting"
1977 "Slap Shot"
1981 "Absence of Malice"
1982 "The Verdict"
1986 "The Color of Money"
1990 "Mr. & Mrs. Bridge"
1994 "Nobody's Fool"
2002 "Road to Perdition"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks