What's new
World Wide Stereo

Parents just bought a Bose HTiB!! (1 Viewer)

RichST

Grip
Hey all, my parents were just out and ended up buying a Bose Lifestyle 18 Series III (single clube, wireless rears). For $1200!!!!!

I seriously almost had a seizure on the phone. Bose stinks right??? At least thats what my impression is from you guys here.

A long time ago I posted here and you guys helped me setup my system which is sweet, and was a great deal.

I asked them what they wanted in a system, my mom says "just the movie sound stuff." So really, anything decent would suffice....and they already have a dvd player/recorder, so it doesnt need to be built in. But, they would like wireless rear speakers.

I figured I could find the something pretty good (another HTiB) for half the price. I'm searching now, but wanted to know what anyone here thought on this.

Thanks

728x90

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's not so much that Bose stinks, as it is being ridiculously over-priced, for what you get. You can get better, for the same money........usually.

Do a Google search for "wireless rear speakers", and it comes up with quite a bit of info, on brands and etc.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
RichST, that's one of the gray areas that looks and the lack of wires might be the issue with your folks. Many occasions I spoke to relatives, friends and people in stores about how the think that Bose not only sounds great but looks great and will match the decor of their home. Some people are willing to pay the cost because of the name and the not so bulky appearance. Sometimes you can try till your blue in the face and convince them that a better sounding system can be had for in some cases 1/3 of the price but it's the appearance of the cubes and how neat it looks is the deciding factor. Whenever someone ask me about Bose, I don't trash it just indicate that the price is way to high.

RichST

Grip
Actually that's alot of what I asked them. "Tell me the most important few aspects of a home theatre to you" I said. Their response was basically they just wanted something that sounded good. I specifically asked about "do you need/want the little cubes?" they didn't care. But if they said yes, I might have them keep it.

I know Onkyo and Yamaha HTiB's are generally good. But, the Onkyos do tend to be a bit large overall. Although this Yamaha (DVX-C770BL) from best buy looks to have smaller speakers. I just cant imagine that anything from Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Samsung is any good as a HTiB.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The fact that they are open to suggestions and will return the Bose system, then any reputable HTiB like Onkyo, Sony, Harmon Kardon etc. will work and sound substantially better than Bose. Heck for the same cost you can build a really good midrange system with Speakers and Receiver seperately.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Although to be honest, one benefit to the bose systems is their simplicity and eas of use. Be sure that you don't get a system that is too complicated for them, something like a universal remote with the right macros may be an important thing to consider including in the budget.

vm8444

Agent
Real Name
vince mirabelli
hey look here
hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=256463
wireless rears ?
how about paying someone get a quote beforehand to install 2 rears for you ,,
wires hidden ,,I THINK THATS THE POINT ,,

sorry a buddy of mine has rear bose and I lost all my listeneing capabilites in one ear...
kidding,,
and you install the rest..
peace vm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks