What's new

Paramount to release 1st season of "CSI" on May 12 (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
That is great news. I'm a huge fan of the show but for one reason or another I never collected it on DVD. Hopefully this will now open the floodgates and CSI: Miami, CSI: New York and maybe even NCIS (different studio, I know) get a release on BD.

I'm also surprised they're doing it from S1 onwards rather than just releasing the latest season.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And the season one set of CSI on DVD was atrocious. 4:3 as I recall rather than 1.78:1 anamorphic transfers.

CSI was the primary reason I wanted to buy my first HDTV, so this is great news. If it's not too outrageously priced, I'd love to replace my abysmal season one set.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Interesting release strategy starting off with season 1 and I like it. I never bought any of the DVD releases even though I religiously watched the show up until the recent cast changes. Now I really don't watch it anymore unless I happen to catch it.
With them starting off at the beginning, I can essentially rewatch episodes that I haven't seen in years and most likely I won't remember much about them.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
HELL YEAH!

It's about damn time!

Saw season 1 reruns in HD (caught it from the beginning, oddly on the same damn day I broke down and bought the 4:3 DVD set) and it was fantastic. Never did watch that set and this was back in December of 2006.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's no way they'll hold to that $100 shocker SRP price.

This needs to be about $39.95 at retail, tops.

People are aware the show has, what, like ten seasons already? People will quickly calculate $75 (on Amazon) x 10 = $750. They'll decide not to get on that train.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That won't happen for a looooong time, Will.

The price on the SD version of Season 1 dropped just a year or two ago to get people sucked into the idea of buying the other SD sets which are still very highly priced.

It's Paramount and a very popular show. And, an hour-long highly-produced drama to boot.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Paramount is selling season sets of the DVDs (at Amazon prices) at $15 for the 1st season to $42 for most of the other seasons. Realistically, we could see a $50 Amazon price point for the BD of later seasons. Dunno why it's so high for the 1st.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I remember passing on the first season on DVD because it wasn't widescreen, and the discounted price was around $40 at the time, so $60 for a high def version isn't outrageous for 20 hours of high def content.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I tell ya...I hope I'm wrong. Season 1 in HD OAR will rock.

But I was just noticing at an FYE today (which, always has extremely high prices on new product) that CSI: Season 8 was still $89.99! :eek: I know there are sometimes deals to be had...but I don't think I've seen Season 8 yet much under $60.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's strange. Here in Canada I don't see the sets for more than $50 before taxes. $45.99 or so tops.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Man...I gotta start paying more attention to software prices! :D

Honestly, I don't know how that one got by me. $40 for the latest season of CSI is a GREAT price.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't care if this Blu-ray is $100, I MUST have it.

The image will be stunning, guaranteed, and it'll be very interesting to hear real 7.1 surround. I'd have to hook up two more speakers for it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Different distributor. Alliance is a co-producer on CSI and therefore holds the Canadian distribution rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.