What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount Classics....Will Olive Films release all of them? (1 Viewer)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Netflix streaming now as such Paramount titles as THE RAT RACE/ HURRY SUNDOWN/ VISIT TO TO A SMALL PLANET/ COME BLOW YOUR HORN/ STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND/ PROUD AND PROFANE/ WILD IS THE WIND/ LUCY GALLANT/ CITIZEN'S BAND/ HARLOW/ SUMMER AND SMOKE/ DRUM......all are pan and scan...1.33 and very old prints. One exception is LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR which is in HD.

Will Olive Films release some of these other films? Very intriguing!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
SUMMER AND SMOKE and HARLOW are already out via Olive. HURRY SUNDOWN was announced. GOODBAR would be welcome.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Other titles are WIVES AND LOVERS/ LAST TIME I SAW ARCHIE/ CAREER/ ABOUT MRS LESLIE/ PIGEON WHO TOOK ROME/ WHO'S GOT THE ACTION?/ AMOUROUS ADVENTURES OF MOLL FLANDERS/ THE BIRDS AND THE BEES.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"The Brain" (1969) with David Niven is also now on Netflix. That's never been issued on home video in the US.

"Little Darlings" has been available for a while on Vudu and Amazon VOD, in a new widescreen scope transfer. So where's the DVD? Seems like Paramount is giving up on discs, as they've put a lot of their old titles on streaming and many of their catalog DVDs are now out of print. That just plain sucks.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
With a remake due LITTLE DARLINGS is a good candidate for release, perhaps through Olive. Or a Paramount MOD...unless that's too much for them, too.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Interesting. This could mean that Olive will get these films as well in a "hopefully" second wave. Strange that they didn't bother to include "Visit To A Small Planet" in the Jerry Lewis set back in the day.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by JoHud

Interesting. This could mean that Olive will get these films as well in a "hopefully" second wave. Strange that they didn't bother to include "Visit To A Small Planet" in the Jerry Lewis set back in the day.

Perhaps being based on a Live Television Production there are rights issues?

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance they could release a new DVD or Blu-ray of 'The Ten Commandments'? I know there was some talk of Paramount doing it themselves but that was several years ago and we've heard little since.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought there was some talk that the Blu-ray for the film was to be released at Easter in 2011, the movie's 55th anniversary.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JoHud

There were quite a few titles Paramount didn't include in that set:

Sad Sack, The
Rock-a-Bye Baby
Geisha Boy, The
Don't Give Up The Ship
Visit To A Small Planet

It's Only Money

Who's Minding The Store?

Boeing Boeing

I always figured there would be a second set. Alas...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I guess the question will be how the first batch sells. I bought Summer and Smoke and Tropic Of Cancer, anybody else out there?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I wish other studios were as generous as Paramount with their lesser-known films. There are tons of movies being held hostage and no shortage of independent labels eager to get their hands on them. Why is Paramount OK with licensing but such a big deal for others?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well MGM/Fox announced an MOD program for 500 titles and the strong rumors are that Fox will follow with their program. Universal is using TCM for a vault collection along with their own releases. That leaves Lionsgate hording titles. I am hoping for a second wave of Olive/Paramount titles, but I was also disappointed with the Legacy/Paramount deal only lasting for one wave.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
More Paramount titles on Netflix:

THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY

THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM

MY SIX LOVES

THE SWINGER

5 BRANDED WOMEN

WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED?

SYLVIA

A NEW LIFE

KID RODELO

THE JOKER IS WILD

LET'S DANCE

SOMEBODY LOVES ME

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
also on Neflix streaming:

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz

First Love (Susan Dey)

Thieves (Marlo Thomas/Charles Grodin)

Leadbelly

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Mark B

More Paramount titles on Netflix:

THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY

THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM

MY SIX LOVES

THE SWINGER

5 BRANDED WOMEN

WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED?

SYLVIA

A NEW LIFE

KID RODELO

THE JOKER IS WILD

LET'S DANCE

SOMEBODY LOVES ME

I'd gladly pay a fortune for DVDs of Five Branded Women and The Joker Is Wild.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by ahollis

Well MGM/Fox announced an MOD program for 500 titles and the strong rumors are that Fox will follow with their program. Universal is using TCM for a vault collection along with their own releases. That leaves Lionsgate hording titles. I am hoping for a second wave of Olive/Paramount titles, but I was also disappointed with the Legacy/Paramount deal only lasting for one wave.

Keep in mind that Paramount only relatively recently began to license their films out, and although they are now doing so through several companies, there were years when absolutely no catalog titles were forthcoming. They might go the MOD route. I would guess with all studios this has had much to do with who was at the helm of the home entertainment division at a given time. Until Mr. Feltenstein took over the Warner Bros division, that company was giving us nothing much, either. Universal also was very slow to get stuff out for years, and is only recently picking up their pace as well. The big elephant-in-the-room holdout now is Disney, who of course licences nothing since the expiration of their deal with Anchor Bay and a tiny handful of titles to Criterion. I don't honestly imagine they will go with video on demand, but with only a couple of dozen mediocre titles exclusive to their club, most of them pan and scan, MOD would seem a logical way for them to release the bulk of their second-tier live-action material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks