Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

kris the 2-3 should be 2-5. but later it became about 2 of 3

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I absolutely loved this movie but was shocked by the brutality of it. I don't mind seeing that kind of stuff it just totally took me off guard. Haven't picked it up yet, probably will this weekend.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
When I rented it the clerk was careful to tell me that the disc had no English soundtrack. I told him I usually won't rent foreign films if they don't have a soundtrack in the original language and we both agreed that that was the preferable way to watch them.

This will be a definite purchase for me if/when it arrives on HD-DVD or BluRay.

This is a great companion piece to Devil's Backbone (intentional on the part of the director). The director's commentary is excellent (and in English)--Del Toro is what I'd have to call a true Renassaince man--intensely intellectual but also a huge fan of comics and video games.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Tony, I only mentioned it because it seemed that after my post, (posting the question for clarity sake), is when all the bashing of folks who would not watch it because of the audio track, seemed to have started. You might have gotten an idea I wasn't too serious from the Big Grin smilie.

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie at my video store they put up a sign telling everyone that the movie wasn't in english.Of course I didn't have trouble renting a copy.

Kind of funny my cousin who speaks spanish decided not to rent it because it was in spanish.Probably had more to do with the wife and kids who don't speak spanish.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
My video store had a couple signs by it as well. That is actually good, they must have had people rent it and come back irate. Bet there will still be idiots who rent it and then complain, "here's your sign". :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"Rated R for graphic violence and some language."

from the back.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think its possible for two completely different types of films to get the same rating, in this case, R.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yeah but it says right on the dvd R for graphic violence.
what more do you want.

specific info about what the violence is.

what a minute, which side are you arguing for?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm not sure I understand why some are giving Bo and Chris a hard time for being surprised by this film's graphic violence. Yes, there is an "R" rating and a content descriptor on the back of the box, but not everybody has a reason to read every detail on the packaging. Nobody has complained that they were offended by the graphic violence. In that case, it would be reasonable to take one to task for overlooking the content descriptor. But as Bo and Chris are obviously not bothered by explicit content (Chris explicitly stated that he "[doesn't] mind seeing that kind of stuff"), what reason would they have to seek out that information in the first place?

They merely commented that such explicit violence is unusual for a fantasy film, and I think most would agree with them. I certainly do.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Not to mention I saw the movie in the theater so I never had a chance to read the box in the first place. Movies get R ratings for all sorts of different reasons and even if I knew the rating was due to violence I still would have been surprised by the level of violence in the movie and the brutality of it.

There is a difference between the violence in this movie and the violence in Terminator 2.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. T2 glorifies violence, Pan's Labyrinth doesn't. Which is more disturbing? Ultimately, it is up to the moviegoer to have some idea of what they are going to see, and if they don't, to either continue or stop/leave. Just because it has fantasy elements should in no way make anyone assume it is a kids' movie, particularly with the rather obvious "R" rating.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

No one in this thread has said any differently. Chris and Bo have already stated that they are not particularly disturbed or offended by explicit violence, so what difference does it make whether or not they checked beforehand that Pan's Labyrinth featured such content?

The only thing they've claimed is that someone who does not know about this film's graphic violence is likely to be surprised by it. Surely this statement is not as outrageous as some have made it out to be.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Thank you cafink. You seem to be about the only one getting the point here.

Even if I knew the movie was rated R for graphic violence I still wouldn't have expected to see some of the things I saw in this movie. This statement has nothing to do with the fact that this movie starred a little girl or was a fantasy movie.

Any movie that shows a guys face getting caved in with the butt of a gun is going to surprise me. That is not your typical movie violence

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I just find it strange/weird/whatever that many people seem to be conditioned into accepting fantasy as only "Lord of the Rings" or Narnia type stuff. A lot of people think fantasy can only be for the whole family, or in the PG-13 range. I'm not really into most fantasy because it doesn't go a step further. Pan's Labyrinth does go further and the film is better for it. I think there should be more danger and brutality in fantasy films. Most of the time, the camera should not cut away.

I'm just asking why does it have to be unusual for fantasy films to contain harsh graphic violence? Who made that rule? Maybe I'm just commenting on what some movie audiences have sadly come to expect. Some people comment on its R rating like its a bad thing. People (I'm not saying anyone here did) take their kids without knowing what they are going to see.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

it was a bottle, but what you say about the movie is why it is a special movie.
it surprises and is unexpected.
a successful fantasy movie all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks