What's new

Panasonic PT47WX42 (1 Viewer)

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Hi,

Back again asking questions about Hi-Def TVs.

Bottom line is that I think I have the chance to get this TV for $1399, and was wondering what people had to say about it. Quality? Also, I was wondering how does it look on analog programming, HDTV, and Progressive Scan DVD player? How about stretch modes?! How does it compare to the Toshiba 50 inch?

Another thing, what does everyone think about the DireTV-HD receiver from Zenith...HDSAT520...is it good?!

Thanks!
~Alan

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Check this very recent thread for some comments about the Panny vs the Tosh 42", etc:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=122371

There are plenty others that comment on the Panny 53" version and the Tosh 50" version. Comments about those 2 will generally apply to the smaller siblings also and vice versa.

Personally, I would not compare the Panny 47" to the Tosh 50" since their price difference is quite large. Even the Panny 53" is usually significantly cheaper than the Tosh 50", which was the #1 reason I went w/ the Panny. If the Tosh 50" cost the same as the Panny 53", then I probably would've gone w/ the Tosh.

_Man_

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Hmm..the interesting thing is this though...

Sams Club has the Toshiba 50 Inch TV for $1699 which I think I can get the price matched at Rex, and at Rex, I would get a free DVD player (which I don't really need, but I could put it in another room) and a two year warranty included.

The Panasonic I could get at Circuit City for $1399, with the standard one year warranty and nothing else for a savings of $300, but then I would need to go out and buy a wall shelf to sit my speaker on, and then go out and buy a component shelf to sit my components on, whereas I wouldn't need to for the Toshiba...so it's about a $200 difference, which is quite a bit, but not extremely large considering the high price on both sets....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Really? Sam's Club has the Tosh for $1700? That's pretty good. I'm surprised they don't have the Panny 47" for less then. Somebody posted about a month ago that they had the older Panny 47wx49 for just $850(!).

FWIW, I recently read that you can also get the 47wx42 from BJ's for just $1200. So if you have a local BJ's, throw that one into your equation as well. :)

Also, are you sure you won't need the same shelves by going w/ the Tosh 50"?

_Man_

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Yep! Sams Club does indeed sell it for that price, but that's the only Widescreen TV they have.

Unfortunately, we don't have a BJ's...in fact, I've never even heard of them. The only places we have that sell widescreen TVs are Circuit City, Rex, Sears, Sams Club and Badcock (strange more places don't carry them considering the fact that with the exception of one, all our stations are broadcasting in Hi-Def). BTW, just out of curiosity, does this BJ's have a website?

As far as the shelves go, yes, I am sure, because I've seen the top of the 50-inch Toshiba up close and it goes as far back as the TV which I have now, and I have all of my components on it right now, except for my DD/DTS receiver which I have sitting on the top of a bookshelf, but with the Toshiba, the TV is wider and I can sit my receiver on it too...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
As far as the shelves go, yes, I am sure, because I've seen the top of the 50-inch Toshiba up close and it goes as far back as the TV which I have now, and I have all of my components on it...
Yes indeedy!

A nice deep shelf on the Toshiba sets. This, in fact, was a major factor that tipped the scales in favor of TOSH for me.

The 50H72 has a shelf that's 14 inches deep x 42 inches wide. Plenty of equipment space. I'd assume the Widescreen model (50H82) would have a shelf very close to the same measurements. (Although, based on the photos below, it does appear the WS shelf is a tad shallower. Not sure though.)

Only $1,699 @ BB. :) (For the 4:3; the WS is $300 more. Still pretty decent.)

TOSH 50H72 (4x3):

TOSH 50H82 (16x9):

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Alan,

BJ's has a website, but it doesn't seem useful for actual shopping. I could be wrong.

Anyway, their url is:

http://www.bjswholesale.com/

You can use their store locator to see if one's possibly near you.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks