What's new

Panasonic 47WX42/52 question (1 Viewer)

Hi

Last week I bought the 30" 16:9 Samsung, and although I really like it, I think that I am going to go all the way and spend four or five hundred dollars more and buy a RPTV.

For $1599 I can buy the 47" Panasonic 47WX42. When I was buying my Samsung last week I looked closely at this Panasonic and really liked it. From the Panasonic website I see that the 47WX52 is almost identical - and the main difference appears to be a screen shield.

First, is this considered a good TV? Would I be better off buying a different RPTV for about the same ammount of money?

How crucial is a shiled like this? Is it worth the extra $$$$? Or is it something I can buy and install in the future if I decide I need it?

And I am concerned about my center channel speaker - I cant remember if there is room on top of the TV to put a center channel speaker? If not, where do you put it?

Does a TV like this need to be installed by a professional, or is it as easy as unloading it out of its box and plugging it in (I know its heavy!)?

Sorry for so many questions - I am new to HDTV and want to make sure I dont make a $1500 mistake!

Mike

DougR

Second Unit
Mike,
I too am considering buying the 47wx42 . Don't have any Rug-rats or animals, so I don't need the "Glare-Shield".
Here's a good site to check out, if you haven't already done so ?
Click Here
* BTW..... you won't be making a mistake if you get it !

Ming Wang

Agent
for this amount of money, probably hard to find another RPTV better than it.

many people have the screen shield removed, because it degrades the picture and adds much glare. but if you have small kids or pets, you will want to have a shield.

most center speakers can be put on up of it. there's little installation needed. but you want to calibrate it. better by a professional...

Thanks for the replies.

I have a cat, but she wont do anything to the screen.

The only other issue is the lack of DVI - how big of a potential problem is this? I just cant imagine cable companies and Direct TV etc abandoning all of the pre-DVI equiped HDTVs out there.....

Mike

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I am also looking at a TV in this range. I am also considering the Toshiba 42h82.

The Tosh has DVI upgradeability and a shield, but doesn't have 480p native. I've read a couple of sparkling reviews about Toshiba's in this series as well.

One more plus for the Toshiba is size - they are generally slender.

Can anyone break down what the pluses are for the Panny that would make the difference? The only things I see off the bat are 5" of screen diagonal and 480p. But those are just features - How about quality?

N

NatL,

So this Toshiba upconverts everything to 720p? Have you seen this in action with both non HDTV over the air, and progressive DVD's?

The DVI upgrade is going to be free, correct?

What is the best price you have seen this offered for, $1799?

Mike

SeanWillis

Agent
Toshiba upconverts everything but HD to 540p. 720p is "upconverted" to 1080i. DVI upgrade will not be free.

Cheers,

Sean

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I'm worried about getting this widescreen set because I play 50% games and wach 50% dvds. 4x3 games will not alway sook good stretched. My compromise is get panasonics 51" 4x3 hdtv. I can get a large 4x3 pic and a large 16x9 image.

Problem? Will it anamorphically squeeze 480p dvds. I heard the model will only do it for 1080i.

ANYONE have an answer? I asked panasonic personally (email), visited hometheaterspot, this website, avsforum, and panny.tv and nobody has given an answer.

-ELmO

Ming Wang

Agent
I got this answer from panasonic CSR 21 regarding the squeeze on their 51HX41 and 51HX42:

"The unit will display whatever aspect ratio is receives from the external video equipment. If the ratio is not acceptable, you have aspect control through our remote. This allows you to change the viewing aspect ratio of the TV. All of our HDTV units allow this operation. "

I don't feel this answer is clear enough... but I had made mind on buy a WX model thus didn't ask again.

SeanWillis

Agent
According to the panasonic website, the 4:3 model you're asking about has a 16:9 selectable mode. I would imagine that the television would do the "squeeze" with anamorphic DVD's. I know last year's models could not, but from the website it looks like the new models can. Not 100% sure though.

Cheers,

Sean

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I was viewing their website, but couldn't find that. I'll look again. I'm going to see if the new models can, somehow...I don't know who else to ask though.

I've read even the TAUs new models wont squeeze 480p, so that's not good news at all...

Thanks for the info,
ELmO

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Elmo:

I was considering the HX vs the WX a few weeks ago but was leaning a lot more towards the WX.
However, I did go to BB or CC (don't remember which) and squeezed in between two other TV's to get the 51HX42's control panel.
I went through the menu to see if I could change the image to 16:9 mode(the squeeze) and it was greyed out. The input was one of those loops they play on that kind of stores which I assume is either 480p or 480i. It certainly wasn't 1080i.
So, it does not do the squeeze for everything you throw at it. I'm kind of doubtful it will do it for 480p.
You try and find a store that has that TV with a DVD player hooked up to it and try to change the settings yourself. You could even ask a store clerk to let you connect the player if it isn't.
I ended up buying the 53wx42 since I wanted the image optimized for DVD's. The Just mode for TV doesn't bother me too much.

Good Luck.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Elmo:

I was considering the HX vs the WX a few weeks ago but was leaning a lot more towards the WX.
However, I did go to BB or CC (don't remember which) and squeezed in between two other TV's to get the 51HX42's control panel.
I went through the menu to see if I could change the image to 16:9 mode(the squeeze) and it was greyed out. The input was one of those loops they play on that kind of stores which I assume is either 480p or 480i. It certainly wasn't 1080i.
So, it does not do the squeeze for everything you throw at it. I'm kind of doubtful it will do it for 480p.
You try and find a store that has that TV with a DVD player hooked up to it and try to change the settings yourself. You could even ask a store clerk to let you connect the player if it isn't.
I ended up buying the 53wx42 since I wanted the image optimized for DVD's. The Just mode for TV doesn't bother me too much.

Good Luck.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I've seen this set with a widescreen feed and it looks superb. But I don't know what it looks like with 4x3 feeds getting stretched?

I saw some tennis (US OPEN?) feed from best buy and I think that was in HDTV. If it wasn't, that looked fine for me (good stretching).

I'm wondering if I should go the front projection route though...

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks