What's new

Blu-ray Review Oz the Great and Powerful Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oz the Great and Powerful Blu-ray Review

With The Wizard of Oz (both book and film) being one of the world’s most recognizable properties, it’s not surprising that many writers have tried many ways to exploit the popular and beloved story and characters. Gregory Maguire’s Wicked (and the subsequent Broadway musical written by Winnie Holtzman who adapted the novel for her own happier purposes) offered back story on Oz’s witches before Dorothy entered their lives, and now Sam Raimi’s Oz the Great and Powerful does the same thing only this time with the focus on the Wizard himself. None of these reimaginings can use outright copyrighted images and ideas from the MGM classic, but it’s amazing how beautifully the creators of these subsequent properties have managed to capture somehow the tones and textures of L. Frank Baum’s fantasy world while fashioning fresh creative dimensions around their own stories.

Posted Image

Studio: Disney

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1, 1.33:1

Audio: English 2.0 DD, English 5.1 DD, English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DD

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

Rating: PG

Run Time: 2 Hr. 10 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy

keep case with slipcover

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: ABC

Release Date: 06/11/2013

MSRP: $44.99

The Production Rating: 3.5/5

It’s Kansas in 1905 and Oscar Diggs nicknamed “Oz” (James Franco) works as a carnival magician but is somewhat resentful that he isn’t enjoying greater professional success. As a serial womanizer, he’s got his hooks into every attractive face at the third rate carnival, but when the circus strongman (Tim Holmes) comes after him for being involved with his wife, Oz hops in his hot air balloon to make a quick getaway. All of this happens just as a cyclone comes spinning into the area, and Oz is quickly swept up into it, whirled around, and deposited into a strange, wondrous land which just so happens is also named Oz. He meets attractive young witch Theodora (Mila Kunis) who falls for the same snake oil he feeds all of his Kansas cuties, but because she firmly believes he is indeed the wizard who had been foretold to land there, she imagines marrying Oz and ruling the land with him. Theodora’s jealous sister, the evil Evanora (Rachel Weisz), sees through the imposter and sends him into the dark forest to retrieve the magic wand of the witch who resides there effectively killing her, but when he meets Glinda (Michelle Williams), her beauty and innocence win him over as he realizes that the other witches are the evil ones who have their own plans for taking over Oz and ruling it harshly.Taking their cue from the treatment of the original book by the MGM screenwriters, Mitchell Kapner and David Lindsay-Abaire have written in their screenplay the Kansas scenes (presented in the old Academy ratio and in black and white) with characters who will appear in Oz in other guises but with traits comparable to their Kansas counterparts. Viewers thoroughly schooled in The Wizard of Oz will likely revel in the continual allusions to the book and film and yet Kapner and Lindsay-Abaire have not slavishly followed any set formula in creating this new version of Oz. Yes, there are Munchkins and Winkies and Flying Monkeys, the poppy field is there as is the dark forest and the yellow brick road, and it’s delightful seeing the genesis of what will be familiar sets from the MGM movie (particularly the Wizard’s throne room and the hot air balloon) eventually come together. But the film seems a little light on plot. There are so many characters for us to get to know that there hardly seems time to generate the kind of gripping narrative that pulls us along eagerly from scene to scene. Since this is an origin story film that must concentrate on getting the witches and the wizard into their proper hierarchy before Dorothy inevitably arrives, the plot suffers, and we’re left with basically a battle royal between the forces of good and evil with good basically relying on a flimsy bag of magician’s tricks to save the day.But director Sam Raimi keeps our discoveries in this new Oz continually fresh and fun. A new China Doll character (voiced by Joey King who plays a crippled child in the Kansas sequence) is a delightful addition to the Land of Oz, and Oscar gets his own personal flying monkey Finley (voiced by Zach Braff who plays his offstage assistant in Kansas) who becomes a welcome partner and traveling companion. Raimi protracts the Wicked Witch of the West’s fiery entrance by a few beats too many (obviously trying to outdo her original entrance in the 1939 film), but the action set pieces once the battle begins all work wonderfully and aren’t prolonged to the point of exhaustion.James Franco’s Oscar pushes the ladies’ man idea into overdrive as the fraudulent magician/wizard, but he certainly grounds the movie and gains in confidence and appeal as the movie progresses. Having to play what turns into one of the most iconic characters in all cinema is a daunting job for Mila Kunis who gets away with it but only barely. She does manage to add some convincing heartbreak to her embittered Theodora which adds some shades to her character, something that isn’t afforded Rachel Weisz’s more conventionally evil and conniving Evanora. Michelle Williams is a lovely but perhaps too-down-to-earth Glinda, less regal and bubbly (no pun intended) than the role’s originator. Zach Braff is a loyal companion though he might have turned up the funny just a notch while Joey King is whimsical and poignant as the delicate China.

Video Rating: 5/5 3D Rating: NA

The film opens in 1.33:1 and black and white and spreads into 2.40:1 and color once the balloon crash lands in Oz, all delivered in 1080p using the AVC codec. The monochrome scenes, while not quite possessing the sepia tint as in the original 1939 film, are excellently sharp and detailed. The Oz scenes, of course, feature breathtakingly rich and super-saturated color (sometimes fluorescent but not to the point of blooming) and pleasing sharpness throughout. Black levels are superb, and entering the Dark Forest is something of a relief from the almost oppressive color of what has gone before. When the characters emerge, the color seems vivid but a little less overwhelming while still remaining a great feast for the eyes. The film has been divided into 52 chapters.

Audio Rating: 5/5

The disc defaults to a Dolby 2.0 Surround track (for those watching the disc and feeding the sound only to the TV speakers), but the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound mix is a remarkable achievement with continual delights for the ear. When the balloon is thrust up inside the cyclone, the surrounding sound is as enveloping as anything ever presented in a surround track. The hideous screeches of the winged monkeys will tax even the most sophisticated sound systems, and the mixture of sound effects, music (engaging score by Danny Elfman), and beautifully recorded dialogue (bound to the center channel) are melded in perfect harmony.

Special Features Rating: 4/5

Disney Second Screen: downloadable app that allows viewers to watch additional supplements during the movie.Walt Disney and the Road to Oz (10:13, HD): interesting story of Disney’s plans for the Oz books down through the years and why they weren’t exploited during his lifetime.James Franco: My Journey in Oz (21:43, HD): the star’s video diary as he talks to his director and various members of the cast about the movie.China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief (5:26, HD): actress Joey King along with production designer Robert Stromberg, costume designer Michael Kutsche, and others discuss the use of a marionette during filming with its later replacement by a CGI doll.Before Your Very Eyes (11:02, HD): producer Joe Roth, production designer Robert Stromberg, director Sam Raimi, visual effects supervisor Scott Stokdyk, and various stars of the movie take us on tours of some of the film’s thirty sets.Mila’s Metamorphosis (7:43, HD): the star, the make-up effects supervisor, and the costume designer discuss turning the actress into one of the screen’s most iconic witches.Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions (7:13, HD): composer Danny Elfman discusses his inspirations for the themes in the film and the relative ease with which ideas came to him for this project.Blooper Reel (5:06, HD)Promo Trailers (HD): The Lone Ranger, Once Upon a Time, and The Little Mermaid.DVD Copy of the Movie/Digital Copy Instructions

Costume Slideshow

Bonus Clip: Practical Sets

Overall Rating: 4/5

Not the most compelling narrative, Oz the Great and Powerful is nevertheless an entertaining fantasy adventure featuring some of the most well known characters from literature and films in a newly inspired creation with some sparks of genuine imagination and whimsy. Recommended!

Reviewed By: Matt Hough

Support HTF when you buy this title:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, I enjoyed the hell out of this in 3D in a theater and am looking forward to the Blu-ray! One quick question- how is the 1.37:1 opening presented on the Blu-ray?

Vincent

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Vincent_P said:
Thanks for the review, I enjoyed the hell out of this in 3D in a theater and am looking forward to the Blu-ray! One quick question- how is the 1.37:1 opening presented on the Blu-ray?

Vincent
It is windowboxed within the 2.40:1 frame so that when Oscar gets to Oz, the picture gradually spreads out toward each end of the screen.

I'm hoping to receive the 3D version to review soon.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Matt! I also really enjoyed this movie (despite what I thought was a bit of a sluggish first act).

What I liked was that it seemed to achieve just the right tone. It was whimsical, charming, and exciting, without weighing itself down with too much faux-mythology (one of the many problems with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland).

Just curious, does "Walt Disney and the Road to Oz" touch on Return to Oz at all? I've always thought that was an underrated film, and would love to see it on Blu-ray, but Disney has often seemed a little ashamed of it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Bryan Tuck said:
Just curious, does "Walt Disney and the Road to Oz" touch on Return to Oz at all? I've always thought that was an underrated film, and would love to see it on Blu-ray, but Disney has often seemed a little ashamed of it.
Yes, it does touch on it as an Oz project that finally went in production but long after Walt's death. I had hoped that we'd see Return to Oz released in conjunction with this film, but, alas, so far nothing.

Guru Kast

Auditioning
I guess I was one of the few to seriously detest this movie.

It was too much...evil dead meets alice in wonderland, with overly creepy characters and settings, to nonsensical scenes and poor comedic offerings. Well it is a Raimi film after all, one might say but meh.It was a struggle to sit tru this whole thing if it wasnt for the visuals. I'm not sure who this was targeted to, because if i had kids, I won't be letting them watch this mishmash l over stuff like the last mimzy or the spiderwick chronicles.I won't be buying this Bluray unless it comes as part of a triple play pack or something.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
If you buy the Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy version now, is the offer for the $5.99 Blu-ray 3D copy still valid? If so, how does offer work?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Todd Stout said:
If you buy the Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy version now, is the offer for the $5.99 Blu-ray 3D copy still vald? If so, how does offer work?
You get it by signing in or joining DisneyMovieRewards.com and redeeming the code. That will give you your points and also unlock the offer to order your 3D disc. But hurry because the offer expires on October 31, 2013!

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was just making sure that the deal was still valid. I didn't realize that there were two versions of the 2D Blu-ray and bought the wrong one yesterday. I guess I'll have to pick up the right one and take advantage of the offer.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Oh... and I'm already a member of the Disney Rewards program. I think I signed up a couple of years ago for a coupon or something. I haven't really used it though.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I saw Oz: The Great and Powerful on Blu a while back. Truly gorgeous print; the colors were amazing, and even though the special effects/backgrounds were obvious in many cases - it all seemed intentional & appropriate for the film. The colors were especially impressive during the landscape scenes - very lush & vibrant.

Also liked the homage to the original film, by having the beginning sequence in Kansas b&w (and only taking up a portion of the screen) which later converted to color & widescreen for the later Oz sequences.

As a fan of the original L. Frank Baum Oz series of novels ever since I was a kid, I liked how this movie incorporated elements from the original books, while still being an original story - i.e., the origin of how the charlatan/scammer Oz came to the land of Oz (LOL), the village of living china/porcelain little figurines (there was an extensive scene involving the china village in the original WOZ novel), the flying monkeys, the wicked witches, etc.

I've always liked the Oz spin-off films (this film, Tin Man (inspired by the original), Return to Oz) much better than the original WOZ film. Sure, that's a classic - but was lacking in many respects. Not only are the effects outdated these days, but I never liked the fact that the whole Oz sequence was a dream that Dorothy had (as revealed at the end). Conversely, in the original novel the whole Oz sequence was not a dream, but was something that actually happened. I always thought the dream "explanation" in the film was a cop-out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Somewhere buried on HTF is my review of the 3D version of this film, in my opinion one of the best modern 3D applications I've ever seen. Those who are 3D-equipped and who don't have the 3D version of this movie are in for a visual feast!

That review is here.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm watching my blu-ray of this movie now after several years and enjoying it! It looks expensive and it was....

Oz The Great and Powerful
Domestic Total Gross: $234,911,825
Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: March 8, 2013
Genre: Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 7 min.
MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget: $215 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $234,911,825 47.6%
+ Foreign: $258,400,000 52.4%
= Worldwide: $493,311,825

Imho Disney walked right up to the edge of the copyright on MGM/WB's 1939 film.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm watching my blu-ray of this movie now after several years and enjoying it! It looks expensive and it was....

Oz The Great and Powerful
Domestic Total Gross: $234,911,825
Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: March 8, 2013
Genre: Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 7 min.
MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget: $215 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $234,911,825 47.6%
+ Foreign: $258,400,000 52.4%
= Worldwide: $493,311,825

Imho Disney walked right up to the edge of the copyright on MGM/WB's 1939 film.

Doesn't Warner, via MGM, own the rights to the original 1939 movie but not to any of the books on which it is based? So I don't really understand "walking right up to the edge of the copyright." I haven't read the books in a long time nor seen Oz in the same amount of time. I may need a memory refresh.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know some people love the original OZ books. I love the 1939 movie, but have always fond the books unreadable. I read lots of 19th and turn of the 20th century novels, but I am sorry to say I found the original 0Z books basically idiotic. These to me were only for children at the time in my opinion, and there is very little here for adults. I give great credit to the script writers who were able to make a classic movie from this material.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Doesn't Warner, via MGM, own the rights to the original 1939 movie but not to any of the books on which it is based? So I don't really understand "walking right up to the edge of the copyright." I haven't read the books in a long time nor seen Oz in the same amount of time. I may need a memory refresh.

From wikipedia....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_the_Great_and_Powerful

"Oz the Great and Powerful features several artistic allusions, homages, and technical parallels to Baum's novels and the 1939 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film, The Wizard of Oz. The film's opening sequence is presented in black and white. When Oscar is caught up in the tornado, the audio switches from monaural to stereo and eventually surround sound.[15] The film shifts to full color when Oscar arrives in Oz; additionally, the aspect ratio gradually widens from 4:3 Academy ratio to 2.35:1 widescreen.[16][17] As in the 1939 film, Glinda travels in giant bubbles, and the Emerald City is actually emerald; in the novel, characters wear tinted glasses to make it appear so. However, during the battle preparations sequence Oz can be seen wearing emerald goggles. The iconic green look of the Wicked Witch of the West is closer to her look in the 1939 film, as the Witch is a short, one-eyed crone in the novel. The Wicked Witches are portrayed as sisters, an idea which originated in the 1939 film. Also from the 1939 film is that several actors who play Oz characters make cameos in the Kansas segments....

Raimi ensured that the film would "nod lovingly" to the 1939 film by inserting references and homages to it....

Although the film is a spiritual prequel to the 1939 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film The Wizard of Oz, it was not allowed legally to be considered as such. The filmmakers had to toe a fine line between calling the film to mind but not infringing upon it. To that end, Disney had a copyright expert on set to ensure no infringement occurred. The production team worked under the constraint of abiding by the stipulations set forth by Warner Bros., the legal owner of the rights to iconic elements of the 1939 film (via its Turner Entertainment sister company which purchased the MGM film library in 1986), including the ruby slippersworn by Judy Garland. Therefore, Disney was unable to use them nor any original character likenesses from the 1939 film.[44] This extended to the green of the Wicked Witch's skin for which Disney used what its legal department considered a sufficiently different shade dubbed "Theostein" (a portmanteau of "Theodora" and "Frankenstein").[45] Additionally, the studio could not use the signature chin mole of Margaret Hamilton's portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West nor could they employ the yellow brick road's swirl design for Munchkinland.[40] The expert also ensured that the Emerald City was not too close in appearance to the original Emerald City in the 1939 film."

While Warner and Disney did not engage in copyright battle, they did file rival trademarks. In October 2012, Disney filed a trademark on "Oz the Great and Powerful" while one week later Warner filed its own trademarks for "The Great and Powerful Oz." The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office suspended Warner's attempt at a trademark because Disney had filed basically the same one a week earlier.[46]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks