What's new

outlaw 1050 vs sony es (1 Viewer)

kelvin s

Grip
Hello All,

To any of you that have heard both brands of receiver, which one has better quality sound for home theater? A friend of mine wants some advice, but he doesn`t have internet access. Our local dealer carries sony es but the outlaw seems to be a steal at less than $500. Is the sony es series in a totally different class considering their price is twice as much? Any advice will be greatly appreciated,thanks.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Well it would depend on what ES you are talking about. ES receivers are fairly well regarded by many here as is the 1050. Remember, the 1050 is already considered to be getting old. ;) Do a search for whatever ES model your friend is considering, you will find tons of opinions.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I just sold an Outlaw 1050 for a DA4ES. In 2 channel music I found the Outlaw to be more neutral sounding while the Sony is a bit more forward. To me, neither is "better". They both sound great, just a bit different.

In DD and DTS I found the Sony to have an edge in presence. The sound is a bit more enveloping to my ears. Not a huge difference, though.

The reason for the move to Sony was so I could get 7.1 powered from one unit for my media room. That and the bass management capabilities from the Sony are second to none. Not that the Outlaw is deficient (actually, the Outlaw has more options than many).

If you don't need the bass management of the Sony or 7.1, I wouldn't have hesitated to stay with the Outlaw. A great receiver for a great price.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks