optoma ep 1690 projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by f1nuts, Sep 20, 2010.

1. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

thoughts on this projector for h/t use....i picked this up at a sale for ten bucks, no remote/cables/new lamp needed.

2061 hrs on the lamp, got a 10ft wide image on the wall, which after being used to the plasma image i have, i liked the idea of the size, and it looked like a good dvd quality/ sometimes hi def ish picture.

taking into account , the entire lounge has white walls , mirrors everywhere, needless to say the room lit up like a lighthouse, but i could live with the pic i saw just for the size alone.

1080i via the dvi/hdmi cable i picked up.

with a new lamp various prices on ebay, i would think this is a pretty acceptable image displayed,

for the price, i probally shouldnt care right ?, i cannot afford a 1080p all the bells and whistles.....so am i missing much with this one ...being that it appears to be suited for office/presentaions but is hd ready ...

also any recomendations for locating lamps at reasonable cost, and why ones better than the other...gonna be used for movies , maybe 6hrs a week

thankyou

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    You may have only paid $10 for it, but you'll have to spend a lot more to be able to use it. You'll have to buy a remote for it, or you won't be able to set it up properly or calibrate it. Add in the bulb and you're probably spending $350-$400. Plus you'll still have a projector with 2061 hours on it. I would rather buy a BRAND NEW 720p projector for $600-$700 like the Optoma HD66 or Acer 5360. And they're both 3D ready(for whatever that's worth).

3. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

thanks,

got the control of unit covered, just the bulb cost.....which seems to vary greatly..its still way under half of new unit....and a dip into the projector world...

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Be very careful buying a new bulb. Make sure it's an original equipment bulb, not a knockoff. The ones that are much cheaper are knockoffs.

5. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

yes i read that.....

does anyone have a link for original bulb/lamp replacement ?...also i tried looking for answer to filter cleaning...but do not see a removable filter....does this model have a filter ?

thanks

6. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen

you also want to buy with the mounting assembly.

8. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

thankyou

i have the mounting cage, so found a bulb as above for the cage and projector model....philips lamp . appreciate opinions as to if it appears to be original and not a knock off .....

9. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I don't think you can buy an "original" bulb without the housing. That must be a knockoff.

10. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

are knock offs just not gonna last as long....or is there more to it than that?.....

11. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    From what I've read they don't last as long, and are not as bright as they should be.

12. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

being as i got the unit at a steal basically, i went ahead and bought the mentioned one at the link above.

heres my thought...

i really want a h/t projection room, i have a great room for it....and ok it may not last long, or be as bright, but it will sure give me an idea of what i could be looking at a later date., certainly as far as size of image , and i can then re-decorate the room , seating , test color for the projected image on wall ( no screen )

and of course i can post my amateur review of it .( and the possible failure time ! )....thanks for your input above

13. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

ok i am about 10 days in with the new non branded bulb , and i have to say alls good !.

i have a picture of about 106 inches or so, and the apparent 1080i pic produced by this unit is pretty close to what i had seen from my plasma...

of course not quite as crisp for want of a better word ( as i am pretty much maxed out as far as distance to screen etc ), but i would certainly say that i am really pleased i made the jump to a projector.

as far as knock off bulbs not being as bright, well after plasma pic, this bulb is producing a fantastic pic, i have setting for contrast,brightness etc fairly low, and find i do not need to increase in anyway to improve the image..

so 10 movies in !.....i would be happy to buy a new lamp once a yr at that price opposed to 4 times that for a brand bulb...

simple swap out, i will only use for movies, so hope it continues to work for the near future.

certainly if it goes out, or the pre owned projector takes a dump, then i am only out of pocket one hundred forty five bucks, and thats with the steal of projector included....

hope that helps anyone choosing to go with a cheaper alternative to new brand bulb, ...i am very happy !

14. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    After you replaced the bulb, did you re-calibrate the projector? Hopefully, you're not setting the contrast and brightness by eye.

15. f1nuts

f1nuts Stunt Coordinator

sorry for the late reply,

no , not yet,

i had my plasma done when first bought, and to be honest the pic didnt look any better to me, maybe someone could recommend a vegas expert .

just to add the lamp is working great still, movie every night , if anything i would say the pic looks its best 5 mins after intial turn on, i could be wrong there , eyes adjusted to darker room maybe.....but the bottom line is , if it looks this good, then i want a 1080p calibrated professionally projector - which i cannot afford ....so pleased indeed so far i am

16. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Just calibrate it with a calibration disc or THX Optimizer, especially contrast and brightness. Then check the color, tint and sharpness.

17. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the THX Optimizer patterns are a great starting point!!