What's new

Optimizing the LT150(z) Using a Color Filter and Recalibration (1 Viewer)

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
There are professional calibrators and there are professional calibrators. They are by no means always equal to one another. There is a breed apart which transcends the usual and can perform much more complex tweaks and modifications that someone who only does basic calibrations. Keep an eye out on the forums and you'll quickly learn about those traveling grand masters of image optimization.

Now for the the specific area of doing modifications or adding filters to aid digital projectors, you are in territory that very very few will have experience. Even the ISF instructors won't have experience with that type of work because it is still so new. There is a whole new world to be explored about digital projectors and we're just opening the door. It will take a little time yet for better calibration techniques and equipment suitable for optimizing digital projectors becomes widely disseminated, so don't be too disappointed if your local calibrator isn't quite ready to fully take on digital yet. That will happen, just maybe not right now.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The CCR filters are essentialy equal in their attenuation of green and blue. They are intended for color correction and can be used to good advantage as well. The Hoya FLD is not as even between green and blue attenuation. It attenuates green a bit more than blue and probably has a transmission efficiencty for red just about that of a CCR20. I chose a Hoya FLD after several other filters. The advantage of the Hoya FLD was its very excellent optical clarity and low reflectance coatings. Something you can't get in a CCR filter.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. Do you think these filters are as necessary for SHP based projectors (I'm on a Proxima DP8000) as much as UHP?

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I would hesitate to make a blanket statement about which if any filter would be best on a machine I haven't set to max digital range to discover what white balance correction is actually needed. Even if projectors used the same bulbs, differences in color wheel design and dichroics add huge variable which can completely change things. Without seeing your machine, it wouldn't be conjecture, it would be out and out guessing. Bottom line - I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks