What's new

Oppo 103 has died. Only a year-and-a-half old. (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It froze in the middle of a disc and now it will not recognize any disc at all. I know nothing man-made lasts very long these days, but for $500, I certainly expected more than about 18 months. If this is their normal life expectancy, I won't be buying another. :angry:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I am. It's still under warranty until October. It's just the boxing it up and shipping it off to be looked at, being without a disc player while it's being serviced, etc. Sigh. A real 1st World problem, I know! LOL.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JohnMor said:
I am. It's still under warranty until October. It's just the boxing it up and shipping it off to be looked at, being without a disc player while it's being serviced, etc. Sigh. A real 1st World problem, I know! LOL.
Unfortunately, these things happen to all of us, no matter the company involved.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven't gotten an Oppo Blu-ray player (yet), but I got an Oppo DVD player back in 2007, still use it for upscaling DVDs, and no complaints or issues. As much as it sucks, hopefully your player was just a fluke, and whatever replacement they send you will hopefully be happily playing discs for years to come.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a minor issue or two on my 83SE and I dropped it off to them (they're local for me) and they fixed it free of charge even out of warranty. Great customer service, but I was also without a music player during that time.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
They have responded to every email within minutes, even on the weekends. Their customer service seems to be superb. Sadly, after trying their recommended resets, etc. it still won't recognize any discs, so it's going to be shipped back for repair. I hope it won't take too long for the repairs. It feels VERY strange to not be able to pop in a disc when I want. :unsure: :lol:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's your only disc player?

I have several around the house from almost 20 years of upgrades.

Well there's always the $75 Walmart BRD player to use as a hot spare.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yep, my only one. I donated my previous one when I got the Oppo. I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap one for the interim.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Its no doubt the chip that has messed up. I had snag with Phillps BDP3000 that locked up frozen with the disc inside. I managed to remove the disc. The player was picked up I think FREE. And I was given a newer model BDP 7300 within a week and bit but had bought a refurbished Sony BPD S-550 that arrived in few days after sending the Phillips off for possible repair and the warranty I think had expired and I had good customer service.

You should try and get the next model they have that has all the bells and whistles for free.

1912524_10152591040645149_8533670487047376068_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks