What's new

Opinions on Toshiba 56HM195 (1 Viewer)

NateS

Agent
Just purchased the Toshiba 56HM195 56" 1080p DLP rear projection set. It's due to be picked up tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particular set, just to make myself feel better/worse about the purchase.

TIA!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well you are of the first to actually get an RP 1080p display. You are on the cutting edge here.

I'll be surprised and impressed if we actually have two members here that own this display.

We will all be eagerly awaiting your impressions and experiences. :)

NateS

Agent
Wow. Wasn't expecting that, :P. Will be sure to post a review when I've gotten a chance to put it through its paces...

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that 1080p is really great in displays bigger than 56 inches. I was in the market for a 48-52 inch set and was considering a JVC Lcos 52 inch set (HD-52G786). The 1080p version is 56 inch and is about twice as much money.

Is there any truth to the this statement. Should this 720p set be adaquate, mid 2000's is the most I can spend.

Are there any 1080p sets in the low 50 inch range that are in the 2000-3000 range in price?

thanks

Joshua Simpson

Auditioning
Hi Mike - I purchased my Toshiba 62HM195, which is 1080p and 62 inches, for $2,700 including shipping. It hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered it through digital1234.com.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I ISF calibrated the 56" on the weekend. Fairly straight forward. SM not as complex as we would like. Not much in there.

Sharpness had to be taken to 0 to remove unnecessary ringing in the image. Turn it down ... it's bad for the picture.

End result was nice ...but blacks still seemed a bit weak compared to say ... the 50" SXRD that was on the floor 3 sets away from it.

This unit might give better blacks with a neutral density filter installed.

Regards

Richard_T

Second Unit
Sorry to get a bit off subject but Michael TLV, could you tell me what all is involved with calibrating a television and what the approximate cost would be. I live in Ontario so Canadian dollars would be great. I own a Sony 55XS955 and have often wondered if it would be worth getting it done even though I've calibrated using Digital Video Essentials. I've owned it since July. Do you know of any reputable people in my area?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks