What's new

Opinions on Denon 1802 vs. HK 220 (1 Viewer)

RoyB

Grip
I currently have a Denon AC-3 ready 2600 but it has developed some background noise (?cause) so I am looking to replace it with a less expensive receiver that has decoders. I have narrowed my choices down to the Denon 1802 and HK 220...any opinons? I will be using it 70% for TV/DVD and 30% for music. It will be driving Klipsch 5.5's with 1.5 surrounds and a 10" sub.

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Both of these units are nice. I am the owner of a Denon 1802, and would like to vouch for it for movies AS WELL as music. The 1802 has adjustable DPL2 and a brillant 5 channel stereo mode. Since your unit will primarily be used for movies, I would say go with the Denon, but do sample both for yourself and let your ears decide. IMHO, the Denon actually cut it quite well in the music department, though as breck said, the HK may be slightly better in this department. The build quality and reliability of the Denon is great, but the remote stinks to high heaven.
Reg;)

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Roy, get the receiver that has the features you want/need. The advice you got about one receiver being good for music and one not is nonesense. The sound you hear in your listening room is almost completely controled by speaker choice, room acoustics and speaker placement. The receiver has very little to do with it. Both receivers you mentioned will easily reproduce the entire frequency spectrum. The comment made that they will not is again nonsense. Klipsch are very efficent speakers, I doubt you will ever use more 10-20 watts at the most to drive them if that. Probably less. So power is not an issue. I own both an Denon 1602 and Onkyo 595. Both are fine receivers as is the 1802. I am sure the HK would be a fine alterntive as well. Cheap Home Theater just did a test on the 1802 you might want to check out (link below). I would suggest adding the Onkyo 595 to your choices. Very user friendly, great remote(Denons remote, ugh!) $375 at J&R. You might want to check it out too. The Outlaw 1050 has gotten alot of praise too. Lots of good choices out there.
Regards, Nick
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

Ken Cerce

Agent
The Denon 1802 is a very good choice, with lots of features and good power output. Its major drawback is its remote. Denon usually thinks of just about everything and provide both good video and audio features. You can adjust tone for all speakers, there is a true "B" speaker capability and the DPL II is quite adjustable.
The Harman Kardon 220 is good choice although it has a lousy remote and does not have a "B" speaker capability at all. It also will only allow you to adjust bass and treble on the front laft and right speakers.
The Onkyo 595 is another good choice. It has a very good remote and has very simular features as the Denon. There are a few drawbacks: there a no adjustments for Dolby Prologic II; when playing A+B speakers, ther will be no power going to the rear surround channels and the bass and treble controls are limited to the front L/R speakers only.
If it were my money, I would buy the Denon. ;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link Nick.

I read the review and couldn't agree more. The small advantages (adjustable DPL2, pre-amp outs, more reserve power) the 1802 had over the 595 is what drove my decision to go with the 1802. I just thought it offered sligtly more for the money. I considered bumping to the 2802, but I live in a small single apartment (no space for a rear center), and it simply wouldn't have made since to have a bunch of extra features I couldn't use.

Thanks again,

Reg

RoyB

Grip
Thanks for all of the info. everyone. I had pretty much decided on the Denon 1802 and called Sound Pros to check on availability. Both salesmen that I've talked to can't believe that I would choose the 1802 over the HK 220 citing a more powerful amp and superior sound for the 220. They say the Denon sounds kind of "thin" and that the 220 "blows away" the 1802. Unfortunately, I have no way of doing a side by side comparison. Now I feel stuck again... :frowning: :angry:
Any more thoughts?

Ken Cerce

Agent
Buy on of each from a reputable place that offers an unconditional return policy and audition each for yourself in your home. This will allow you to make up your own mind in your own listening room with your own equipment. Keep the one you like and return the one you don't. GOOD LUCK! ;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
.....Keep in mind Roy, the claims that one receiver blows another away sonically in this price bracket is pure speculative opinion - nothing else. The truth of the matter is, I doubt if any of the receivers mentioned in this thread could blow each other away, as speaker choice and setup acoustics would have more to do with the sound you're hearing than anything. Again, if you really like reliability and solid features, then the Denon will suffice nicely. As Ken stated, it would be best to audition each and keep the one you like best. Yes, the HK sounds a little "different" than the Denon, but to say that it "blows it away" because of this is a gross exaggeration to say the least.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks