What's new

Opinions -- Has MY FAIR LADY what you would call "A Happy Ending"? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I really like your interpretation, but Eliza's expression, to me is one of submission, and I guess that's what kills it for me. I just can't escape her expression. Regardless of his line, it's her inaction I take exception with. But I must say I like your take on it and will try to keep it in mind the next time I watch the movie.
Eliza smiles, not with relief, but with the knowledge that Henry is a child needing to be humored. The power is with her.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish the cues were there for me to feel good at the end of this movie. I am going to rewatch it with all these optimistic comments in mind.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
First, Eliza does become strong willed, which is expressed in "Just You Wait".

To this "glass half-empty guy," that song could simply be a compensatory fantasy, a wishful- thinking means of feeling empowered in the moment while she is alone and therefore safe, although in reality nothing much will be accomplished. We all have those fantasies (that asshole who cut me off on the highway will die a horrible, flaming death). Then, we calm down and nothing has changed, which is mostly a good thing.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Henry Higgins was the most sexist character ever seen in a film. He is very anti - women in the film of MY FAIR LADY.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've always figured that if the film ended a few seconds earlier (with the look of unadulterated happiness from Higgins when he realizes that Eliza has returned) then I might have imagined that Higgins would have made the effort to change.

But since we see his happiness change to that calculated look--that he needs to pretend otherwise, slink down in his chair and then ask her with finding his slippers--it takes on an entirely different meaning for me. And I can't get past it.

I see that more as Higgins making a quick tactical retreat in a battle where ultimately he and the audience inclined to think positively knows he's going to surrender. The first crack has shown and Eliza's smile is an indication to me that she knows it. It won't come today or tomorrow but it will come eventually.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I watched it again after reading this thread. For me, there's no way around it: the last minute of the movie is simply not congruent with the predominant emotional timbre--and implicit promise--of the rest of the film. After what has been a virtually perfect movie so far, the ending lets me down every single time I see it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks