What's new

Opinion needed on the Panasonic 65" VT30 series (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just an update. The set has been pretty good so far, but I have run into a problem. I updated the firmwares on the TV set and my PS3. The IR 3D glasses, prior to the updates, worked properly past 7 feet. Now, I have to be sitting 7 feet or closer to the set in order for the glasses to sync. If I sit more than 7 feet from the set, the glasses lose sync. At 7 feet, they randomly lose sync. Not sure if the reduced range is a firmware problem or if IR just sucks for range. I'm starting to think I should have waited for the 2012 models with bluetooth connection for the glasses.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
very weird, and "doubtful" it is related to the firmware update.
Time to change the batteries?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got screwed waiting too long for a Sony XBR 65" and then the UPP went into effect. I hadn't even considered Plasma because I was stuck in 2008 thinking, but the price versus performance appears really good on these new sets. I got hooked looking at a closeout 65" VT30 at Bestbuy, they are selling them for $2800. Unless they dive considerably more I'm going to hold out and get in on the first batch of 65" VT50s. I know I know, early adopters get arrows in their backs, you can bet I will be buying the extended warranty.
According to the first reviews the VT50 sets a new reference for PQ but it does have a few nits.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT50-TX-P50VT50B-P55VT50B-P65VT50B-50-Inch-Flagship-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_282/Review.html

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gregg Loewen said:
very weird, and "doubtful" it is related to the firmware update.
Time to change the batteries?
It may be the batteries; however, if that is the case then I won't be too happy because the glasses aren't even five months old. It isn't saying much very good If the batteries are shot after only four months of very limited use. I looked in the manual to see if there was any information regarding the range of the glasses. I didn't find much other than a recommendation to sit 7 feet or further back when watching 3D content. I did find out that the batteries do not appear to be replaceable in the glasses. They are hardwired into the unit and the only information is on how to dispose of the glasses. In that section they describe cutting the battery connection wires with a pair of scissors, so it looks like they used soldered battery connections. Maybe I'll try calling Panasonic's customer service department after the Easter holiday, but I won't be too happy about that either. I mean, not even five months and I have to start calling customer service. I just hope their CS is better than Samsung's or I'll really be ticked off.
Sam Posten said:
I got screwed waiting too long for a Sony XBR 65" and then the UPP went into effect. I hadn't even considered Plasma because I was stuck in 2008 thinking, but the price versus performance appears really good on these new sets. I got hooked looking at a closeout 65" VT30 at Bestbuy, they are selling them for $2800. Unless they dive considerably more I'm going to hold out and get in on the first batch of 65" VT50s. I know I know, early adopters get arrows in their backs, you can bet I will be buying the extended warranty.
According to the first reviews the VT50 sets a new reference for PQ but it does have a few nits.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT50-TX-P50VT50B-P55VT50B-P65VT50B-50-Inch-Flagship-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_282/Review.html
Honestly, I would recommend going with a 2012 set just for the BT connected glasses alone. The BT connection for the glasses on the Samsung I had before this set was a lot more reliable than IR connection on the much more expensive Panasonic set. I never once lost sync on the Samsung glasses, no matter how far I sat from the set. I certainly did not have to sit six feet from the set to get reliable syncing like I am with the VT65. Also the glasses for the new VT series look like they have thinner frames around the lenses and the lenses look like they have quite a bit less tint than the 2011 model glasses. I can't say too much about differences in PQ, since I have not seen the new 2012 sets yet; however, I'm beginning to think that my eyes are getting too old to see some of the differences in black levels between these sets. To me, the PQ on the 2011 VT65 looks pretty good. So far my biggest bitch with the VT65 is the 3D glasses.
One point that I would disagree with in the review you linked to is where the reviewer states that the 3D quality of the sets is as good as the "average" theatre. Frankly, so far I would say that the 3D quality on both 3D sets that I have owned is better than anything I have seen at my local theatre and that is about as average a theatre as you could get. The 3D trailer for "John Carter looked better on the PoTC: On Stranger Tides BD than the entire movie did at the theatre. That is saying something, because I thought that the 3D on John Carter was one of those instances where it might as well not have been used at all.
Edit: Also you might want to look at the latest Samsung plasmas. The ES8000?? The Samsung sets apparently were voted "best in show" for plasmas at the last CES.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Killed the Amazon order, got EPP pricing direct from Panny I didn't know I was qualified for. Free webcam, but paid tax, still a LOT better than retail!
Now the wait for shipment!

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
Sam Posten said:
Killed the Amazon order, got EPP pricing direct from Panny I didn't know I was qualified for. Free webcam, but paid tax, still a LOT better than retail!
Now the wait for shipment!
You can't beat direct ordering when you get that pricing. I have a friend who works in auditing for them and I've bought my last three Panasonic TV's through him and got his pricing. You simply can't beat it.
Right now my main TV is a TCP65S2 and it looks as clear now as it did when I got it. No burn in issues or anything. Sometimes I wish I had gone for a bit higher model, but at the end of the day I'm really happy with what I have. The colors and really crisp and clean.
Shoot, I recently just picked up the TCP42X3 as a side TV for my media room and that thing is good too. Not as fancy mind you, but still really sharp.
Now I'm just waiting for some of their LCD/LED's to be out for a bit, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on their 46/47 inch models. I want to go a bit bigger than the 42 inch I have in my living room. I want to see how they compare to the Plasma's, because that's all I've had since replacing a Panasonic rear projection LCD TV I had (which I loved).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree with you on pricing at least on new releases. Later in the year I hear Amazon will be much more competitive or win. I have heard gripes about dealing with EPP for returns tho. Fingers crossed for no buzzing or dead / stuck pixels here.
Mine will be here at noon tomorrow!

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
Sam Posten said:
I agree with you on pricing at least on new releases. Later in the year I hear Amazon will be much more competitive or win. I have heard gripes about dealing with EPP for returns tho. Fingers crossed for no buzzing or dead / stuck pixels here.
Mine will be here at noon tomorrow!
Inspect the TV before you sign off on it. Open up the box and make sure nothing looks damaged in shipping.
After that I think their rules is 30 days...and then you have the normal 1 year warranty, but if you have any issues out of the box notify them ASAP and you shouldn't have an issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Man, why couldnt I have seen this 2 hours ago? :(
So, my new plasma arrived. Yeah..... :( If I have to wait a month for replacement I'm going to flip out
http://thebestcamera.com/Zintu

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Man, how did they ship it? On its side with a crate on top? That sucks!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gotta say I'm REALLY disappointed in Panasonic's Call Center so far, 3 days after I put in my pictures and still no reply, so I called em up and they had zero new information for me, it's like they threw my issue into the trash can. The woman told me she took down my info again and I'd get a call within ANOTHER 24-48 hours, I just about flipped but calmly told her that was not acceptable, so she said she elevated it to management. Will see if that helps, I have my doubts....
Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So they are going to send an RA to me, that might take 2 business days, I will have to coordinate with their shipping agent take a day off from work again to be there during the day at their conveneince, they will ship it slow boat to china west coast US. And Panasonic isnt even cross shipping me a new one. I have to wait till they get it and check it in before I get a refund THEN order a whole new one. This blows. Will be 2-3 weeks minimum for me to get my money back and 4-5 to get a new one :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks