What's new

Opinion Desperately Needed: Jetta 1.8 Turbo or Accord LX-V6? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Thanks for the inputs.

I was about to take a test drive last night but the weather turned weird with all the ice pellets and such. So it's being postponed until Saturday.

Meanwhile, what kind of CD changer does it use? According to the salesperson, it's a Panasonic with custom connector.

Can I use any other Panasonic 6-disc changer with an adapter?

Any input about the Tiptronic system?

How's the stock sound system sounds? I don't want to change the entire setup. However, if the sound is not good, then I have to think twice about buying the car. Listening to lots of music is part of my job.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
David,

Check out VW Vortex for more specifics. Lots of useful information there. The current supposed 'premium' Monsoon system is not very good.

I don't plug it in until 0 F, but that is just to make heating a little faster. At -20 F you would definitely want to plug it in. The glow plugs and direct injection of the current TDI have really improved cold weather starting. We have a Powerstroke work truck, and I agree with plugging it in as soon as 20F is approached.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"David is Ontario" NO he's not ! He is IN Ontario! Mel Lastman is Ontario!! Oh wait ... he is Toronto:)

You're right Dave the weather sucks,(I'm in Uxbridge work in Stouffville) you have a test drive to come I need to hit the junkyard to keep my car running for antoher year!!

I'm sure a company like Scosche should make an adapter for the Honda or VW whichever you pick.

Brent

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
One word of advice: MANUAL transmission with either, but especially with the VW. Why do you want to give up a. fun, b. mileage, c. power, d. fun?

Jetta. Hands down. (I have a big soft spot for volkswagens!)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Kevin Farley,

My wife can't drive a stick, so I'm stuck with a a non-stick.

Daryl Furkalo,

I'm not getting the Monsoon system, just the stock (made by Clarion) and maybe getting the Panasonic CD changer for the back (Panasonic makes the CD changers for VW).

BTW, I've found the adapter, it's only US$35.

ps: I know I'm fat, but not as fat as the entire Ontario :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I don't even think the two cars are in the same class for me.
youre probably right. i think the accord is in the same class (size wise) as the passat. i would go with the jetta all the way. and i will also contribute about the tdi. we may sound like a broken record, but dont judge the tdi by its 90 hp. they go a long way, you may be surprised at how much power it has for only 90 hp. compating hp like this is comparing watts per channel. most of us know that it doesnt add up exactly like that. i had a friend at school who had a 2001 jetta tdi, and he had trouble getting LESS than 60 mpg. even driving like an asshole on the highway (85mph+) he was getting that. and if you are looking to get a tdi, the best place to visit is the TDI Club. you could say its the "home theater forum" for diesel information and resources. the accord is a nice car too, but its in a different class, competes with the passat. i'm not much of a fan of japanese cars, the interiors are pretty bland, much like driving a rental car. vw's are fun to drive, reliable, and fun to drive! i know the jetta has a small back seat, but how often are you driving from there?

CJ

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If you have to have auto, I'd go with the Accord. The 5spd auto is a good match for the VERY free-revving V6. Torque will not be a problem. I have a 2002 Acura TL-S, with 260hp 3.2l, and it is an absolutely wonderful engine. Gas mileage on my city/highway commute is 24-25mpg- not bad for a 3550 lb car. For reference, I also drive a 95 Accord EX on this route (145hp, 2.2l VTEC 4cyl)- and it averages 30mpg.
Plus, if you are moderately, uh, "biggie size" (no jab intended), Accord might be a more comfortable fit than Jetta.

I recently spent some time in Germany in a colleague's VW TDI Wagon (he kept saying it was a Golf Wagon- naming conventions not the same there). We had no trouble accelerating in the city, and he had no trouble accelerating away from me on the Autobahn as traffic thinned. I was in a 1.8l supercharged C-Class Benz. We cruised for a while (I was following him home) at 180+ kph.

I thought that was quite impressive for a "Little Diesel That Could.":)

Todd

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Why are you considering the Accord and the Jetta? Is the Jetta that much more expensive?

Anyhow, I'd suggest the Accord (or similar sized car, like the Passat) simply because you could use the extra room for the family! Uh, unless you force the kid to sit in the back, and the wife in the front. :)

I remember when Jettas were not known for their reliability. Have they improved enough to compete with Toyota/Honda/Nissan yet?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Max Leung,

The Jetta is CAD$1500 (plus taxes) cheaper than the Accord and Passats are CAD$2000 (plus taxes) more than the Accord.

I've decided to stay away from the Accord for now. The salesperson is a major pain in the you know where; very childish.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I've decided to stay away from the Accord for now. The salesperson is a major pain in the you know where; very childish.
cant you get a different salesperson? or another dealership? if you like the accord, dont let some prick salesperson get in the way. it makes me laugh when a salesperson thinks he is 'in charge' and he works directly for the company who makes the cars that he sells. car dealerships are basically stores who buy tons of a certain brand of product, and they also perform service on those products. they are essentially no different than a circuit city or a best buy. a sales dept, and a service dept. if a salesperson is giving you a hard time, go to his sales manager. if he does the same thing, go right to the top, if you can find someone who has ownership or something like that. if they dont listen, there are PLENTY of other places that sell hondas who would love to have your business. this same thing happened to me as well, which is why i may be a bit more passionate about this. anyway, best of luck, i hope you find what youre looking for.

CJ

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you're getting rid of the Protege over a relatively cheap to replace brake rotor, don't delve into VW ownership.

Stick with a reliable Japanese make like Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

Over half the used cars sold at the Toyota dealership where I work are off-lease cars bought at auction and gone over in our shop.

Typically 2 or 3 year old VWs need a lot more work than Toyotas, Hondas, or Nissans. Altimas are actually among the least troublesome, usually sailing through the inspection with no problems at all.

VWs are about on a par with Ford and Chrysler products as far as how much work is necessary before they can be resold. The auction buyers have pretty much quit buying Ford products due to the high number of problems found, but we must still keep a few VW's on the lot because so many customers buy into the "fine German craftsmanship" mystique.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, first of all, I still don't think $300 for rotors and SECOND sets of pads is considered 'okay' at 35,000 miles.

Secondly, the head gasket was blown; another $600 for repair and 3-day car rental

Thridly, broken tranny at 40,000 miles, under warranty, but I gotta pay about $400 for car rental for 8 days because the part was backordered.

Fourth, weakening of the shocks at 40,000 miles

all the above are from a Japanese car.

Can it be worse for a VW?

As far as the Accord goes, it's not my first choice other than for the engine. Don't really like the boat-like size on the outside, don't like the outside appearance, don't like the interior quality and style, no 60/40 split (important to me). Other than for the engine and the humongous rear seating area, I don't really like the Accord anyways.

Tried Altima, apple-to-apple comparison, it's about CAD$2000 more than the Accord, and REALLY hate the handling and interior. No problem with the backseat area.

Tried Sentra, cheap interior materials, noisy

Tried Matrix, Echo, Corolla, my right elbow keeps hitting the centre console and noisy. RAV4, my left elbow keeps hitting the door handle. Camry, the suspension is waaaay to soft, feels like I'm on a boat.

BMW 320 with sports package, love it, can't afford the insurance, let alone the price of the car itself.

No domestic cars for me (tried Grand-Am, Sunfire, Sebring)

Mitsubishi Galant and Lancer, cheap interior.

Basically I'm stuck between Jetta (I want Passat for size but can't afford the $$ either) and Accord.

PS: I'm getting the 7-year 160,000km comprehensive warranty for the car (either car)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Another vote for the Accord. They're proven dead on reliable and a turbo adds another thing that could cause problems that a naturally aspirated engine won't have.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'll vote for the accord, only because you're stuck with an auto transmission. The 1.8T engine loses a significant amount of responsiveness when paired with the tiptronic. The Jetta TDI is always an option though, but it seems like the back seat spacing may be an issue. My brother and I test drove a Jetta TDI a few weeks ago, and it mopped the floor with the 4-cyl Mazda 6 we drove right before it (and the 6's interior is terrible ).

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well I've been looking for a Sedan. I don't want a Truck or SUV anymore (no thanks 15 MPG).

I'd love a Maxima, but not willing to spend the extra.

The accord V6 is slower, but you can get their full leather and luxury one for a good cost. Also Hondas last forever.

Jin E

Second Unit
BTW... all APR software un undetectable by a dealer's diagnostic tools. A buddy of mine has his passat chipped by them For an extra $200 he had this thin installed which allowed him to switch between several different "settings" for the ecu using the cruise control buttons. He had three maps installed, one regular, one for 91 octane, and one for 93 octane. really... really cool.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow,

These cars are not really comparable. The Accord is about twice the size of the Jetta.

Have you considered the 1.8 Passat? It's not a whole lot more expensive than the 1.8 Jetta and it's more the size and class of the Honda you're looking at. My wife has a 2002 1.8 Passat (5-speed natch) and it's a really great car! Plenty of get up and go (at least in the manual, don't know about the slubbermatic) and nice acoutriments(sp?). Nice stereo, leather, alloy wheels, etc. Nice car. Not quite as nice as my 2.8 A4 but noce nonetheless.

EDIT - just noticed that you have eliminated the Passat for price reasons. Too bad, it's a great car. We test drove the Jetta wagon and loved it. Have you considered the Jetta wagon?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Yep, tried both the Jetta wagon and sedan today.

LOOOOOVE THEM!!! much more than the Accord.

My wife doesn't like the look of the wagon, so we decided to take the sedan.

So the one I'm taking is:

2003 Jetta 1.8T in Reflex Silver (whatever that is) with A/T Tiptronic.

I love the acceleration much more than the Accord, love the way it handles snowy terrain much more than the Accord.

and what I like most:... it's almost dead quiet in there.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks