What's new

Open Air headphones... anyone own em? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm considering replacing my Shure E3c headphones with either Senn HD580 or Grado SR80.

Both are open air headphones.

My intent is for these to be used both at home and on the commute to work (bus and train).

I love my Shures, but the earplugs keep popping off the earphone... especially when I work out, sweat tends to keep those little buds IN MY EAR, so that when I remove the phones, the buds fall onto the ground.

This is REALLY irritating, I've tried everything else in my fit kit, and nothing seems to fit my ear and isolate out sounds as well as these.

My concern is with going out in public, will the open air earphones be heard by everyone else around me? How loud is it? I don't listen to my music loud. I just don't want ot be self conscious of it all the time.

I would like to try them out, but don't know of anywhere in Calgary that carries them.

Suggestions?

tx.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Paul - Have you considered different covers for your e3's?

I use E2's for explicitly the reason you are having trouble - as a live performer, they stay in my ears the best. Don't forget that they come with different types of buds, foam (which I use when playing live) and rubber (which I don't because they have a tendancy to slide out), and are available in different sizes for different ears.

Check out the L&M store in Calgary, because you can get the different size/style buds in bulk (10 packs) that can suit your use better without changing your preferred form of listening. (Can be ordered if not in stock)

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...eves/index.htm

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I use SR60s for my commute to work. If your mode of transportation is noisy, you WILL have problems hearing what's playing on your cans.

However, you do have the advantage of being able to hear what's going on around you, such as the blaring horn of the truck that's just about to hit you. :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Grado SR-80s sound like good speakers. (Maybe B&W-- my speakers and headphones are similar in a lot of ways.) Buy them for that reason, and not because they will keep outside noise at bay.

Sound leakage can be a problem, though it really depends on how loud it is. My brother, standing a couple of metres away could definitely hear something, when I listened at normal volumes.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I use Sennheiser HD580s on my computer (and for some critical listening) at home, and use Sennheiser PX100s (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8) for exercise/mowing the lawn/work/etc. Both are open, and I don't find leakage to be too much of a problem. You can definitely hear ambient noise, but it shouldn't be too much of a concern (unless you regulary jog through an active construction site or something :)).

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I have Grado SR-80s. Great sounding cans. However I wouldn't recommend them for your situation. If you turn it up loud enough to mask the external noise they will surely be audible to those around you. You also mention about using them while working out. There is absolutely no way these would stay put while working out. They are rather large, bulky, and are not the most secure fitting cans.

-Dave

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I love my E2c's. I use them for riding my motorcycle. Blocks out the wind noise, and allows me some quality riding tunes. I keep the volume up enough to enjoy, but low enough not to damage. With the wind noise blocked, it protects my hearing. Anyway...

I also own a pair of Sennheiser PX200's, that my partner bought me for Christmas. I have been very surprised at the sound quality, and those around me report that they hear no leakage when I am listening to music on them.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, the audio will be clear to anyone standing nearby. You will also hear any outside noise very clearly. Open air phones are best used in quiet areas. I use Etymotic ER-4s and they block EVERYTHING. However, they may not be the best solution for working out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks