What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onkyo TX-SR674 (AVR) Can it do what I need it to do? (1 Viewer)

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
I'm considering purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR674 (A/V receiver with HDMI switching and upconversion). Can anyone tell me if this receiver will allow me to do the following?

1. Play Netflix downloaded through my computer and put it on my TV screen monitor (Panasonic TH-50PH9UK); and

2. Play music stored on my computer (downloads from iTunes, music burned from CDs, etc.).
Thanks

728x90

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
1. The ability to display video on the plasma coming from a PC would depend on both the plasma and the PC, not necessarily the A/V receiver. Your plasma does have a VGA input, so this would be the ideal connection. If you still have the need for a traditional monitor, you'll want to make sure that your PC has a second video output (a lot of aftermarket video cards do).

2. You can run a line-level signal for audio to the receiver from just about any PC. To do this via analog, you usually need to purchase a Y-adapter that splits an 1/8" stereo male phone plug to L/R RCA connectors to go into one of the receiver's source inputs. Alternatively, you can make this same connection digitally, but the PC needs to be equipped with a digital audio output (just about every aftermarket sound card gives you to this feature).

This should at least point you in the right direction.

Jason=F

Grip
I'm looking to do the same thing with my new system, so it's basically standard practice to run only audio to the receiver and then run video directly to your display device?

I was wondering if there were some "higher up" models that would allow switching of my PC Video/Audio like other video componets (ie DVD, Cable, etc.).

Is there some type of convertor for the video so it can run into and be switched my the receiver?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you had an HDMI enabled video card or motherboard you could run an HDMI cable directly to the receiver and then on from the receiver to your display. The HDMI cable would carry audio and video. There are also some video cards that can facilitate component video output, and adapters available to transcode VGA to component video. Then you could run component video and either analog audio or digital audio (optical or digital coax depending on your computer/sound card) to your receiver. The video would be output from the receiver either over component video or converted to HDMI.

EDIT: You could also use a DVI-to-HDMI cable if you have a DVI enabled video card or motherboard.

Jason=F

Grip
I would also need to run audio to my reveiver in that case too, correct? So basically, unless my video card has HMDI output, I'm going to need to run audio and some type of video using a convertion cable.

It looks like the 804 has RS-232 inputs, I wouldn't need a convertor for the video then.... hmmmm.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
RS232 is not a video connection... it's used for automation control and possibly for firmware updates or EQ tweeking. HDMI is the only connection that carries audio AND video on one cable.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
On another note, FYI, the 674 does not upconvert the component, svideo or composite. It only outputs them out of the HDMI..like a pass thru.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 674 DOES convert composite, s-video, and component to HDMI as well as deinterlace from 480i to 480p. The 604 does neither (only pass-through). Both read audio from HDMI.

The nomenclature w/ respect to how receivers handle video is somewhat convoluted... "upconvert" is the accepted term for what is more appropriately known as "transcoding", converting a signal from one type (composite, s-video, component) to another (HDMI) without changing its resolution. "Upconverting" is also often used to describe dvd-players that scale the 480i source to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or a custom resolution. "Scaling" is the correct term for changing the resolution from 480i up to something higher like 720p or 1080i. "Deinterlacing" is the most appropriate term for going from 480i to 480p since the resolution is the same but the frames are being converted from interlaced to a continuous frame.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's one of three features Onkyo lists in the introduction to the SR674 on their website:

Special Features

* HDMI 2 Input / 1 Output, 1080p bandwith - ready for next generation DVD players

* Auto Speaker Calibration with Audyssey 2EQ - Creates an optimal listening area, not a point - perfect for families

* Video Upconversion to HDMI with deinterlacing - ensuring your video looks the best on the newest tv's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks