What's new

Onkyo TX-NR515 Connection with new streaming service - How to for Zone 2? (1 Viewer)

Novice62

Auditioning
Real Name
Camden
First post……how do I route connections from Direct TV streaming box (HDMI only) using Onkyo TX-NR515 and Samsung TV to get zone 2 sound. I read I need an analog signal to get zone 2 sound but I don’t know the connection / type of connection / routing order between the three devices? I appreciate your help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only connection on the DirecTV box is hdmi? There are no red and white audio connections?

Novice62

Auditioning
Real Name
Camden
This is all that’s there
F357C921-13B3-45FC-B5DF-C153063D4B3A.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, you need to use that Digital Audio Output on the streaming device, along with a DAC, like THIS ONE. You connect the digital audio output to the corresponding input on the DAC, then connect the analog audio outputs (red and white coax) to the corresponding analog input on your receiver. What I mean is, if the hdmi input you're using on the receiver is "cbl/sat", you connect the DAC output to the same name analog audio (red and white) input. Then when the receiver is set to monitor that input, it should also send audio (only) it to the Zone 2 output.

Your receiver might also be able to send it to Zone 2 independently, but I didn't look into it that much.

EDIT: I changed the DAC I originally linked to since I realized it doesn't come with a power supply. Just a USB cable. The new one I linked has a power supply.

Last edited:

Novice62

Auditioning
Real Name
Camden
OK, you need to use that Digital Audio Output on the streaming device, along with a DAC, like THIS ONE. You connect the digital audio output to the corresponding input on the DAC, then connect the analog audio outputs (red and white coax) to the corresponding analog input on your receiver. What I mean is, if the hdmi input you're using on the receiver is "cbl/sat", you connect the DAC output to the same name analog audio (red and white) input. Then when the receiver is set to monitor that input, it should also send audio (only) it to the Zone 2 output.

Your receiver might also be able to send it to Zone 2 independently, but I didn't look into it that much.

EDIT: I changed the DAC I originally linked to since I realized it doesn't come with a power supply. Just a USB cable. The new one I linked has a power supply.
Thanks, John. I’ll give this a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks