What's new

Onkyo 898 vs. Integra 8.2 (1 Viewer)

Steve_W

Agent
Does anyone have any thoughts on how these 2 models compare in reference to features and cost??

I think the 898 will meet all my needs (7.1, DPL-2, multiroom) but the 8.2 adds a couple things I like (RS-232 port, ABUS for multiroom) and the CHAD remote, which I'm not sure where I stand on.

What are the differences between these recievers beyond the things I have mentioned? what is the difference in cost? I would be happy with the 898 but am considering the 8.2 because my Def Tech dealer only offers Integra, and I am sold on the Def Tech BP2006TL's.

Thanks!!

GregAH

Auditioning
I got to Integra the same way, via my Def Tech dealer. I think you are right about the differences. I don't know if the 898 has video switching which I am going to need. I am down to looking at pricing. Found 8.2 with CHAD for 1700. I was told the CHAD did not come with a re-charger. I don't know how much more that would be (or if I even need it). BTW - did you compare the BP2006TL's with their Power Monitor 700's. They list for the same price (at least on their website). I liked the PM700's. I have some size constraints so was looking at a bookshelf. Just wondered if you or anyone has compared the two.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
I am an 898 owner and I don't see enough of a difference between the 898 and the 8.2 to justify the price increase. While it has the RS-232 port, it is for control only and does not allow for future upgrades as the 9.1 does. The CHAD remote is basically the same thing as the Pronto TSU-2000 which I had and then returned. I do not like LCD remotes as much as remotes with tactile buttons. They are great fun to play with and the cool factor is high, everyday use is still a pain. You would need the extra charger as batteries get expensive quickly. My 898's remote is wonderful and now controls every piece of equipment that I have...no need for the Pronto, or the CHAD.
They are both great receivers, virtually identical, so if you don't need the few extra features of the 8.2, save yourself some serious money and buy the 898 from J&R (http://www.jandr.com). Ask for Todd at ext. 1039. He can get you the 898 for $1099 shipped...maybe even cheaper.
Enjoy,
Jeff

GregAH

Auditioning
I have their brochure.

The brochure reads on one page: "Every Integra receiver is wired with RS 232 PC connectivity, ensuring you're ready for the future. Upgrades are now as simple as a software update."

While on another it reads: "RS-232 Ports - for integrated system control and access. On some units, this port allows for firmware upgrades and updates"

So which is it? BTW the 9.1 does have IEEE 1394 upgradeablity,the 8.2 does not.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Greg,
I tend to believe the spec. sheets more then I believe that generic brochures.
The 8.2 is listed as control only for RS-232 and is listed as not having processor upgradeability. That's enough for me to believe that it cannot be upgraded.
When you refer to IEEE 1394 upgradeability I assume you are talking about the 9.1's ability to be upgraded to IEEE 1394 sometime down the road. This would have to be done in a shop and cannot be done via software as it is a physical change to the receiver. I agree, there are plenty of differences between the 8.2/898 and the 9.1/989. This topic was discussing the differences between the 8.2 and the 898. Let's not muddy the waters ;)
Thanks,
Jeff

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
But owners of 7.1s etc. have had their receivers upgraded to DPL2 which leads me to believe that they're all upgradeable if they have the port.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Howard,

I would love to know how owners of the 7.1 went about the upgrade process because everything that Onkyo/Integra is saying points to the impossibility of that upgrade. Do you have any specific cases/people that you can invite into this discussion?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I own an Integra 7.1 and bought it because it is a wonderful unit, and was discounted heavily because the 7.2 was on its way. I too read the part about all receivers being upgradeable in the brochure. I though I could upgrade the unit to DPLII for only $49!

Well after several phone calls and e-mails to Integra, I now understand that you can not upgrade any of the Integra receivers except the 9.1.

So if you personally know somone who has upgraded a 7.1 to DPLII or DTS ES discreat, please let me know so I can get in touch with them and find out how they did it.

Do I regreat not having DPLII or DTS ES discreat? I don't. I was most interested in getting DD & DTS since I only had DPL. I got those and more. This receiver sounds great! It has brought new life to my speakers and cd collection.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Steve, if you seriously don't need multi-room right now, then I'd get the 797. You could easily run RCA's vs speaker wire, and use the money you save to put towards a pre-pro/integrated amp for the music in the second room?

I am seriously thinking about getting the 797. How does the sound quality compare between , say the Integra 7.1 and 7.2 vs the Onkyo 787 and 797 respectively? I am most interested in the differences between the 7.2 and the 797, since that is what I would decide between. But as usual, if the difference in sound quality between the 7.1 and 7.2 and between the 787 and 797 aren't noticable, as the differences may be soley features etc, I welcome comments about those receivers too.

I am leaning toward a 797 as it is far less expensive.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I own the 898 and looked very closely at the 8.2. The specs on both the receivers are identical and the only difference might be the chad remote. I have heard both the receivers and could not tell any difference. I would suggest going with the 898 and saving the extra cash for something else. I am very very happy with the 898, it is a wonderful receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks