What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I've gathered over the years, the film was discovered again in the 1960s mainly due to TV showings for the general public and younger film critics taking another look at it. It's how I discovered it as a young boy during those years. I can't put into words how much that film haunted me back then and why I continued to view it again and again in future TV viewings. It was a must get for me when I got into this home theater hobby going back to the VHS/Beta war.

It's unbelievable that one of the greatest acting performances ever captured on film wasn't even nominated for an AA. Mitchum's iconic performance lives on despite that slight.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
February 26, 2016

91BldkKoXsL._SX522_.jpg

When I was a teen, I bought many Super 8mm movies. The same basement home theater I built last year, was also a home theater as a child. I had a sound projector with a fold-up screen. Friends would come over weekly to watch the films I purchased.

At that time, I was purchasing from Blackhawk Films. They mainly sold silent classics starring the likes of Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and Charles Chaplin.

Chaplin was never my favorite. I never bought nor watched any of his films. There was something about his "Tramp" character that just didn't translate as funny for me. I would much rather watch comedies from the other comedians.

Watching THE KID for the very first time was quite a discovery for me. While I didn't find the film overly funny, what did amaze me was Chaplin's comic craft. You could see that instead of simple slapstick, he invented funny situations --- such as when we see a baby sipping milk from a tea kettle.

Obviously, THE KID is a masterpiece in silent cinema. Along with a beautiful score composed by Chaplin (which I have been humming around the house all morning), it's such a touching film to watch.

The film has gone through a meticulous 4k restoration. Having watched many silents from this era over my life, it's just astounding to see how crisply detailed the 1080p image looks. All the scratches and blemishes have been removed. If I can use a cliché, it looks as if it was lensed yesterday. The transfer has to been to be appreciated.

Really enjoyed this film and highly recommend its purchase from Criterion

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
March 6, 2016

WhereTheSidewalkEnds_BD_HighRes__82476.1453440685.290.400.png

Another stellar piece of Film Noir!

I find myself having the time of my life discovering these classics. This time 'round it's WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, a 1950 film directed by Otto Preminger (who also directed LAURA).

An excellent story concerning a straight-faced New York cop named Dixon (Dana Andrews), with a top coat and wide brimmed hat, who finds himself at the opposite end of the law when he accidentally murders someone and then attempts to cover it up.

Wonderfully directed with an excellent script and supporting cast (including a young Karl Malden), this has got to be one of the best detective films of that period. It has a terrific atmosphere to it -- and the finale will keep you on the edge of your seat.

The Blu-ray transfer is striking, to say the least. The gorgeous black and white photography really shines here. Not a blemish to be seen anywhere. This is an incredibly well-detailed, flawless transfer. The film was shot on location in NYC and it's quite astonishing to see how that city looked during that time period. It's that authentic backdrop that really gives this picture the look and feel it needs.

As I sit here thinking of what more I can say, I am just reflecting on the film itself and how much I really loved it. I am not even particularly a fan of film noir and I thought this film nailed what I generally think that period of filmmaking is all about.

This is a Blu-ray that needs to be purchased. Incredibly entertaining!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I thought this Twilight Time Blu-ray was outstanding PQ-wise. I always liked this film, but watching it again on Blu-ray was like seeing it fresh for the first time.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Isn't Dana Andrews one of our more underrated actors?
I dunno. He seemed pretty stiff and monotone in a lot of his movies, such as NIGHT (CURSE) OF THE DEMON, in the same way Victor Mature usually was. But Andrews can act and sometimes, for the right director (Preminger, for instance), does, but I don't t think he is particularly underrated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Isn't Dana Andrews one of our more underrated actors?

He was terrific both in Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives, but he's probably unknown to most of the general public. I find Ron's comments regarding Where The Sidewalk Ends quite relevant, as I have this sitting in my unwatched pile and am hoping to get to it this week. I am a fan of the film noir genre, but this is one I have yet to see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dunno. He seemed pretty stiff and monotone in a lot of his movies, such as NIGHT (CURSE) OF THE DEMON, in the same way Victor Mature usually was. But Andrews can act and sometimes, for the right director (Preminger, for instance), does, but I don't t think he is particularly underrated.
I disagree, I thought he was a fine actor and did have some really good performances in the following movies that Victor Mature could never touch in his acting career.

The Ox-Bow Incident
The Purple Heart
A Walk in the Sun
Boomerang
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Ball of Fire
The North Star
The Best Years of Our Lives
Laura
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Daisy Kenyon
Canyon Passage
Fallen Angel

Hell, I even liked him from a favorite of my youth, Hot Rods to Hell.:blush:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I disagree, I thought he was a fine actor and did have some really good performances in the following movies that Victor Mature could never touch in his acting career.

The Ox-Bow Incident
The Purple Heart
A Walk in the Sun
Boomerang
Ball of Fire
The North Star
Laura
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Daisy Kenyon
Canyon Passage
Fallen Angel

And shirley you can't forget when he had to fly that plane when the pilot got food poisoning.

Or in '75 when he flew his plane through another planes cockpit.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

The Ox-Bow Incident
The Purple Heart
A Walk in the Sun
Boomerang
Ball of Fire
The North Star
Laura
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Daisy Kenyon
Canyon Passage
Fallen Angel

We're in agreement on some of those titles (the Preminger ones, as I mentioned), and LAURA, BOOMERANG and BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. Yeah, he was a better actor than Mature, but I still think he had a somewhat limited range. Just me.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
We're in agreement on some of those titles (the Preminger ones, as I mentioned), and LAURA, BOOMERANG and BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. Yeah, he was a better actor than Mature, but I still think he had a somewhat limited range. Just me.

Not just you. For me, and it's obvious some people are going to disagree with me, Dana Andrews could not play raffish, disreputable types. In State Fair, Fallen Angel and Where The Sidewalk Ends, he comes across as prematurely middle-aged, not disreputable. Just think what Tony Curtis, ten years or so later, could have done with Andrews' Fallen Angel role. Look at what Bobby Darin did do with the role in State Fair.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not just you. For me, and it's obvious some people are going to disagree with me, Dana Andrews could not play raffish, disreputable types. In State Fair, Fallen Angel and Where The Sidewalk Ends, he comes across as prematurely middle-aged, not disreputable. Just think what Tony Curtis, ten years or so later, could have done with Andrews' Fallen Angel role. Look at what Bobby Darin did do with the role in State Fair.
Everybody has an opinion, but I don't get the prematurely middle-aged comment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got The Vikings Blu-ray today so I'll be spinning that bad boy in the next 24 hours. I'l be interested in reading Ron's take on this film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wednesday, March 9th

91ZAI7JNsXL._SX522_.jpg

Hail Odin!

It's quite astonishing that I have, sitting on my desk, a pile of new theatrical titles that have yet to be watched. The reason for that is, when a given a choice, I would much rather discover a classic film rather than a new one. I have been buying these classics at a fury pace and enjoying each immensely.

THE VIKINGS is no exception. This is another stellar discovery -- a film that is epic in every way. Douglas and Borgnine as Vikings. Curtis, a slave destined to become a King. Leigh, a prized English Princess. Outstanding picture for its time (1958) and it hasn't lost any of its impact today. Filmed in Norway, using real ships, this widescreen effort is astounding to watch.

The Blu-ray is a mixed bag as far as quality is concerned. For a technicolor film, only a few scenes really bring those hues to the forefront. Otherwise, many scenes look pale with subpar contrast levels. Audio can be scratchy at times. There are many blemishes throughout the print. It's obvious that a bare minimal effort was done to restore this title for Blu-ray release. The 1080p detail within the transfer does manage to ruin the authenticity of the props as the swords and axes all look fake. Grain is thankfully intact.

Really enjoyed Kirk Douglas. Funny, though SPARTACUS was his signature film, I thought he was better here to the point that I have now become a fan of his. How could his role as a scar-faced pale-eyed villain not be his most memorable?

I am so thankful to those of you that recommended this film to me. It's a highly entertaining, fun film to sit down with while munching some popcorn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought you'll like it. My favorite performance in the film is from Ernest Borgnine. I'll be watching my Blu-ray this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks