What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
January 20, 2016
91u2c+S5W2L._SX522_.jpg
Another stellar viewing experience!​
Man of the West pits a man who has fought to change his life against dangerous men from his past after a train robbery.​
Loved the villain played by Lee J. Cobb, who is probably best known to more modern audiences as the detective from THE EXORCIST.​
Almost didn't recognize Jack Lord in his role as Coaley. Interesting to see Julie London, who would eventually star with her husband in the television series, EMERGENCY.​
It's rare that I feel sympathy for the film's most annoying character (played by Arthur O'Connell), but leave it to MOTW do play on the viewer's emotions.​
It's movies like these that keep me craving for more quality westerns. I am really pleased that I have been getting some rewarding recommendations over the past few weeks. This is another cream-of-the-crop shoot-'em-up that needs to be in the library of every collector who enjoys this genre.​

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ronald Epstein said:
January 20, 2016
Man of the West pits a man who has fought to change his life against dangerous men from his past after a train robbery.​
Loved the villain played by Lee J. Cobb, who is probably best known to more modern audiences as the detective from THE EXORCIST.​
Almost didn't recognize Jack Lord in his role as Coaley. Interesting to see Julie London, who would eventually star with her husband in the television series, EMERGENCY.​
It's rare that I feel sympathy for the film's most annoying character (played by Arthur O'Connell), but leave it to MOTW do play on the viewer's emotions.​
It's movies like these that keep me craving for more quality westerns. I am really pleased that I have been getting some rewarding recommendations over the past few weeks. This is another cream-of-the-crop shoot-'em-up that needs to be in the library of every collector who enjoys this genre.​

"But I will say that there was a time I would never watch a western. Today, I can't get enough of them. In fact, I much prefer to watch a classic movie over something new which is why I am always looking for suggestions from HTF members on what to watch."

The core story of Man Of The West is the same as in two other Westerns, Night Passage and The Law And Jake Wade. Both are available on DVD but not Blu-ray. They're both worth watching.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
January 20, 2016
Yeah, I thought you're like this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
"But I will say that there was a time I would never watch a western. Today, I can't get enough of them. In fact, I much prefer to watch a classic movie over something new which is why I am always looking for suggestions from HTF members on what to watch."

The core story of Man Of The West is the same as in two other Westerns, Night Passage and The Law And Jake Wade. Both are available on DVD but not Blu-ray. They're both worth watching.
Yeah, it figures that two of my favorites such as Night Passage and The Law and Jake Wade aren't yet on Blu-ray.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Ron if you haven't seen The Hanging Tree with Gary Cooper I'd highly recommend it - along with The Man From Laramie with Jimmy Stewart (available on blu-ray). Both solid good westerns.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Cowboy from TT is an excellent western well worth owning. It stars Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon. Also from our friends at Explosive Media, Valdez starring Bert Lancaster, Backlash starring Richard Widmark, and Bandolero with James Stewart, Dean Martin, and Raquel, are also very good. Their catalog of westerns is quite impressive and they are all of very high quality. All three are region free and can be ordered from Amazon de.

Gary

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I second the recommendation for The Man from Laramie, it's a great movie and the Blu is outstanding. Also check out Winchester '73 (don't know if it's on Blu anywhere) for another outstanding James Stewart western.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Peter Apruzzese said:
I second the recommendation for The Man from Laramie, it's a great movie and the Blu is outstanding. Also check out Winchester '73 (don't know if it's on Blu anywhere)
Sadly its not. Nor is The Naked Spur, Bend Of The River, The Far Country, Broken Arrow and Night Passage.

Gary

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
David_B_K said:
Ron, after checking out Point Blank, you might be interested in Payback Straight Up-the director's Cut. The novel that served as the basis for Point Blank was also used for Payback.

Payback was not released in its director's cut originally. A lot of new stuff was shot and new characters added for the theatrical cut. I like the director's cut. Many people hated it because it is gritty and dark. I thought it was in the tradition of film noirs like The Killers, so I wasn't bothered by the dark turns of the story. The director's cut came about year's later and was released to HD DVD and Blu-ray.

The source novel was The Hunter, by Richard Grant. The protagonist - Parker - is called Walker in Point Blank and Porter in Payback. There is also a loose Asian adaptation with Chow Yun Fat in the Parker role.

That link defaults to the DVD, which only includes the DC, but if you select BD, that version includes both cuts of the film, as well as all the special features. Interesting. . .

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Aaron Silverman said:
That link defaults to the DVD, which only includes the DC, but if you select BD, that version includes both cuts of the film, as well as all the special features. Interesting. . .
Are you sure about the the BD having both cuts? I have it and it has only the director's cut.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
To this day, I avoid HITCHCOCK films for the most part because I am still under the mindset that they are too boring.

[Sheldon's Voice]You Take That Back![/Sheldon's Voice] :P

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ronald Epstein said:
To this day, I avoid HITCHCOCK films for the most part because I am still under the mindset that they are too boring.

Ron,

I hope that you haven't seen Vertigo yet, cuz you're in for a treat! It's the perfect Hitchcock film to fill your new, big screen. And the score... Crank it up!

It hadn't been one of my favorites either. Fortunately, I was able to see the restoration at the Ziegfeld, in NYC back in the nineties. Since then, it's been on my top 10 ten list of the greatest films of all time.

Glad to see that you've been experiencing a lot of classic western genre films. If you haven't already, check out TT's Broken Lance. I was quite pleased with the 2.55x1 CinemaScope transfer. It almost fills my 2.76x1 screen from edge to edge. :)

One of your recent choices, Monte Walsh, I haven't seen as yet. It's now on my shopping list. Thanks.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would hate to say Will Penny will never make it to blu-ray but...look at Paramount's record of releasing catalog films on blu-ray and I think the chances look pretty slim.

The DVD is a decent disc and the film is well worth it particularly when it costs less than a movie ticket and about the same as a rental to own it.

It would be awesome if one of these companies did for Westerns what Shout's Scream Factory does for horror titles and licensed out Westerns from various places to release in special editions on blu-ray. I guess the closest we will get to that is some of the German companies like Explosive Media and the work they do getting Westerns out on blu-ray.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Will Penny is a very good dvd.

Reggie W said:
The DVD is a decent disc and the film is well worth it particularly when it costs less than a movie ticket and about the same as a rental to own it.

I'll second this. Will Penny is a fine dvd.

Gary

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Since Ron hasn't outright banned DVD suggestions, I thought I'd recommend another end of the old west film: Tom Horn with Steve McQueen (1980). The anamorphic DVD gives a good presentation. It's a Warner title, so who knows, it may end up on Blu-ray someday.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Some truly great westerns have already been mentioned but don't remember anybody putting forward any of Sam Peckinpah's work (apologies upfront if someone did and I missed it).

"The Wild Bunch" is perfection but you want to try something like "Ride The High Country" (closest to the Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns) easing into "Major Dundee" or "Pat Garret and Billy The Kid". I've only referenced Sam's westerns but of course he dabbled in other genres as well with mostly good to great results.

Regards,

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Great thread!

In my experience, often times the films that look boring and seem slow-paced while you are watching them turn out to be the films that will stick with you the longest. That's not always the case, but it happens to me more often than not.

Your mention of Hitchcock is what made me think of this. Psycho and North By Northwest require a lot less patience than Rebecca or Vertigo, however the latter two are the ones that I found to be the most rewarding. Both of them stuck with me for days.

Glad to hear you are getting to discover all these great classics for the first time. What a treat that must be!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks