What's new
World Wide Stereo

Older tv - no component inputs (1 Viewer)

Lisa Menin

Agent
I did a search on this but, since I couldn't find any applicable threads, I am posting my question here.

I have an older Sony XBR set in my bedroom which still plays very well. It only has svideo inputs - no component. I just bought a new dvd player for the bedroom and had planned to connect it via svideo until a trip to Radio Shack today. The Rat Shack salesman told me that, by using a "Dvd video component adapter/RF Modulator", I could hook the dvd player to the tv just as if I was using component inputs on the back of the set.

This does not sound correct to me. Can anyone here comment?

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
The salesman probably thought you were talking about "composite" inputs, meaning he thought you didn't have the yellow RCA plug and only the ancient RF TV antenna plug. When what you really meant to say was that you didn't have "component" inputs(3 video plugs, red, green, and blue). You are correct and should use a good s-video cable. Unfortunatley, in my experience the guys at radio shack do not know much, and component video is still a very new concept to them if they've even discovered it.

Lisa Menin

Agent
Thanks Stephen and Steve...I was pretty sure all along that the RS guy was wrong. He couldn't have been talking about composite though since he also sold me a set of component video cables together with the video component adapter. (Both of which are going back to RS tomorrow.) Luckily, I also bought an S-video cable at the same time.

My bedroom set is a 32XBR45, which still plays beautifully but only has s-video inputs. I am very happy to hear that the picture will look just as good on this set regardless of whether I used component or s-video.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Lisa,

I'll strongly second the opinion that the RS guy thought you had no composite and therefore no inputs other than antenna terminals on your set.

S-video is the way to go in your situation, and will look just fine.

I had one of the first Sonys to have component inputs, a KV35XBR-48 circa 1998 model. It looked exactly the same whether I used S or Component inputs. In most cases you don't see much if any improvement with component inputs on an analog set unless it's a largish rptv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks