What's new

older equip, looking at Roku, need knowledge (1 Viewer)

dem45133

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
OK... for 10 years we did the Direct TV thing... 5 years ago we cancelled them as we are not going to pay 100+ a month for 200 channels shoved down our throat, 5 of which worth watching on a good day... so being that is the case and since we are rural (and since the convertion away from RF signal...which obsoletes the 50 ft tower we have as well)... we have NO TV anything excpet DVD.

I'm audiophylic so have excellent audio cababilities (all mid 90s), but the the supposed "HD ready" 1080i TV is now 10 years old and doesn't have HDMI. Neither does my audio equipment.

Now... since we are old school which is part of the "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" mentality... I am not replaceing my Rotel 1098 or the 30" wide screen CRT based TV until they die.

And since I WILL NOT buy into "TV service" of anyones (satelite only) that only leaves the possibility of something like Roku.

But none of my equiment is HDMI, nor will it be in the forseeable future...

I watch a few things on the free part of Hulu... on the computer, and would like to figure out a way to send the video via component (not RCA composite) and the audio via optical or digital coax to the audio side of the system that is set up for 5.1 surround (or 7.1 but current just doing 5.1)

Whats do any of you suggest?

(remember no money for serious upgrades... maybe a $100 black box or new blue ray with streaming built in but has to output WITHOUT issues to componet at 720 or 1080i)...still has to do DVD as we have 400+ of them)

Thanks in advance...

Dave

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does your 1080i TV not have DVI?Bet it does. If so, we need to know to help you.Also, have no clue how your antenna is not usable. Same antenna for NTSC and ATSC.

dem45133

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I do not know on the TV as to DVI. I tend to think not as its 10 years old... Its at home and I will not see it until I go home for Christmas (working away right now so I can't go look at it). If memory serves it only has the old A/V inputs (three of em) and Componet). Audio input are limited to convention LR stereo, but I feed the audio and video through the Rotel 1098, and then the TV and 5.1 respectively.

The tower used to work fine for RF until the rotory stopped working. It still fed RF, but conecting to a digital converter box was only marginal and most channels were too weak to hold. I'm told I could install a better digital antenna on it but I'M NOT climbing it! Its likely 40 or 50 years old and not stayed.... keep expecting the wind to take it down anytime this past 15 years... but its still there.

We are 50 and 70 miles respectively from the nearest metro areas... RF back in the day... barely reached and now dosent in the new digital... can't even get the local news anymore.

dem45133

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Well just so you all know... I may have wasited my money but I did just today purchase an older N1100 Roku unit on eBay. Maybe it will work... it does have componet out and optical or digital audio out at least so I was told by Roku's web page "chat" .... guess we'll see. Its going to the house in Ohio, so I will not see it unitl i go home for Christmas.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is rare for a 1080i TV to not have a DVI. 1080i existed for only 2 years before DVI became defacto.

You didn't waste your money on the N1100, as it connects to every TV ever made.

I use an antenna to pick up Indianapolis. The northwest side antenna farm in Indianapolis is exactly 122 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks