What's new

Oklahoma (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi John
As I've mentioned before, I find the sound level fine on both my systems and the sound quality absolutely fine.
My only quibble is that because the output level is so low that the sound level has to be cranked right up, it's a real pain where I sit down to have to constantly adjust volume levels when I switch audio tracks as I often do, to toggle between soundrack and optional commentary track.
cheers

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
What strange defensive comment since I did not mention any names I said elitists..and this controversy has been going on for months.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that almost every Blu-ray player has something like dynamic range control or some similar function? Couldn't that be of some help especially when switching between the film sound track and the commentary track?In any case I will soon, being the elitist that I am ;), be able to watch Oklahoma as a glorious 4k DCP so my next viewing in a home video format may not even be on Blu-ray after this experience. Depending when it is available I may as well go straight to Oklahoma on 4k lu-ray in a few years when I want to rewatch it!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
Hi John
As I've mentioned before, I find the sound level fine on both my systems and the sound quality absolutely fine.
My only quibble is that because the output level is so low that the sound level has to be cranked right up, it's a real pain where I sit down to have to constantly adjust volume levels when I switch audio tracks as I often do, to toggle between soundrack and optional commentary track.
cheers
If the only problem you have Anthony, is the level I would suggest as Oliver says and you check your player which ,I presume , is doing the conversion from multichannel to stereo. I think you listen in Stereo, right?
The level is a bit lower than some BD'S but in my experience not appreciably so.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I thought the DVD of the Todd-AO version, though not anamorphic, was very presentable for its day.

I think you're confusing the original DVD with the awful attempt later on to remaster it in the dual-disc edition.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
AnthonyClarke said:
I thought the DVD of the Todd-AO version, though not anamorphic, was very presentable for its day.

I think you're confusing the original DVD with the awful attempt later on to remaster it in the dual-disc edition.

You mean the FIRST DVD of the Todd-AO version, Anthony. The caps-a-holic comparison is between the (2nd) 50th anniversary DVD edition (heretofore known as the 'abomination') and the blu-ray. They haven't compared it to the first DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The Todd-AO DVD was an abomination. The CinemaScope version on the first DVD was good, again not anamorphic. The same version on the double DVD was just as good. But that Todd-AO version was horrible and that was the only release of the 70mm on DVD.

But the Blu-ray is gorgeous.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
The Todd-AO DVD was an abomination. The CinemaScope version on the first DVD was good, again not anamorphic. The same version on the double DVD was just as good. But that Todd-AO version was horrible and that was the only release of the 70mm on DVD.

But the Blu-ray is gorgeous.

I always wondered what people would think of Todd-AO / 70 mm after watching that horrible DVD of Oklahoma. An incredible misrepresentation of the format and a good antithesis (among many) to the theory that studio people always know what they are doing with their releases, blunders even happen with high profile titles like this one.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
OliverK said:
I always wondered what people would think of Todd-AO / 70 mm after watching that horrible DVD of Oklahoma. An incredible misrepresentation of the format and a good antithesis (among many) to the theory that studio people always know what they are doing with their releases, blunders even happen with high profile titles like this one.

I could see enough quality beyond the crappy transfer to see that there was something truly remarkable there. It also makes me want to upgrade it to the blu-ray ASAP, so it has some positive effects.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Allansfirebird said:
I could see enough quality beyond the crappy transfer to see that there was something truly remarkable there. It also makes me want to upgrade it to the blu-ray ASAP, so it has some positive effects.
I got to see the Todd-AO version on the Cinerama screen in Seattle some years ago and it is remarkable!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Squire said:
I got to see the Todd-AO version on the Cinerama screen in Seattle some years ago and it is remarkable!

From the widescreenmuseum web site, a picture of Oklahoma! on the Seattle Cinerama screen. Marty Hart remarks that only four brief scenes used the 127 degree bugeye lense.

oklahomainseattle.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
OliverK said:

It was a mentality that it's good enough for home video for what they were spending on the video master, and considering from what my experience tells me, for the general population, it was mostly correct. But do a side by side comparison and suddenly opinions would change. Things seem to be changing at some of the studios finally.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
ahollis said:

I'm afraid you're pixelated! :P The CinemaScope version was never seen on DVD until the double disc edition. The original, non-anamporhic, single disc THX certified DVD that was released first was from the 70mm Todd-AO version.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Will Krupp said:
I'm afraid you're pixelated! :P The CinemaScope version was never seen on DVD until the double disc edition. The original, non-anamporhic, single disc THX certified DVD that was released first was from the 70mm Todd-AO version.

Yep, OK's debut on DVD was in fact a direct port of this laserdisc with the exception of the soundtrack which was 2-channel stereo on the LD and 5.1 on the DVD.

$_12.JPG

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, the first incarnation on DVD was absolutely the Todd-AO version, and it looked pretty good on our screens at that time despite not being anamorphic. The atrocity came later, with the double-disc release which included the first attempt at the Cinemascope version.

I have clung onto that original DVD release for sentimental reasons......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks