What's new

Ok, so who DOES make a good 32" analog? (1 Viewer)

Tony_Pat

Agent
I've been exploring options for a 32" analog (there are reasons why I'm looking for an analog set). I've looked at the Sonys, JVCs, Toshibas in the stores. But it seems that every manufacturer has one or more major problem with their larger screen direct view TVs. Sony has the uneven brightness and fun-house problem. JVC has the poor color decoder and light vertical bar problem. Toshiba has the moire problem (although I'm not sure this is in their 32 inch size). So is there ANY good analog direct view 32" set anywhere? Go wild and even take price out of the equation.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Then I guess you need to take the lesser of all evils.

I have the Sony WEGA 32FS13 and I love it. Sure, it has the funhouse problem, but I've been able to minimize it through the service menu and, frankly, its not that big of a deal to me.

As for the uneven brightness problem, this must not be a problem on all sets, cause mine doesnt exhibit it.

Maybe I was just lucky and got a good set, but with the small quirks it has, it is GREATLY overshadowed by the excellent picture quality (especially in 16x9 squeeze mode).

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mike, I also have the 32fs13 and think it's a good set for the money.

Most of the problems associated with the set are minor annoyances more than anything else. They don't ruin the picture or make it unbearable.

Case in point - My TV has the funhouse effect and a brightness issue, but these things can't be noticed in regular viewing situations.

The funhouse effect only shows itself on fast lateral pans, but you can only barely see it if you focus on one item in the picture as it pans across the screen. It shows itself as a very slight acceleration of the item when it's about to go out of picture. It's not noticeable unless you're looking for it, and even then it doesn't marr the picture.

The brightness issue exhibits itself on the top 20% of the screen when the DVD player is outputting a totally blank 4:3 screen. I've never had this affect anything I've watched (even on dark 4:3 scenes), and in fact can only see it when going through brightness calibration patterns (it's simple to work around, just make sure the rest of the screen looks good).

I should also mention that I've never seen the problems exhibit themselves on anything in the 16:9 mode.

To recap, choose the lesser of the evils, like Mike said. Yes, the problems exist on the Sony, but they barely affect the viewing experience, if at all. My set's picture is outstanding for DVD's and regular TV viewing. Remember that a lot of the people in this forum are HT perfectionists (nothing wrong with that) and that the idea that something is wrong with the picture is worse than the actual effect to the picture itself.

Get the set if only for the 16:9 mode. DVDs will look incredible and you'll never be able to watch a non-anamorphic movie again.

Tony_Pat

Agent
I'm glad to hear this from both Mike and yourself, Anthony. I've decided to get a 32" Wega. I actually own the JVC 32F802 (their top-o'-the-line set in this size). I have no choice but to return it. Mine exhibits a noticable green shift on the left side, about a 2" bar from top to bottom. Couldn't get rid of it with any of the service codes. Thing is, I went back to the store and saw a lesser version of the same thing on the in-store sample. It, like mine, also exhibited during dark screens a lighter bar at exactly the same place. So I figured if the first two I saw have this problem maybe I should try something else.

BTW, I live off Exit 4! Where off 7A are you?

Brad_V

Second Unit
You didn't like the JVC 32av320? That looked like a heck of a set to me. And the 36" version, too.

Tony_Pat

Agent
I bought the 32F802, Brad. I'm not even sure the 32AV320 is a current model. The F802 is JVC's top of the line 32" Flat Screen model. Oh, it's a beautiful set, but it had a couple of flaws I could not get rid of (even with the service menu). I was going to have a technician come in and service it (maybe had to have the magnets moved), but when I saw a subtle version on the store display of the same problems I was having at home I decided to try the Wega, which looked great in the store.

If it weren't for the vertical band on the left edge I would say the JVC produced an excellent image. But when the first two I saw exhibited the same problem to varying degrees I wasn't willing to try for a third. If the FV27 turns out to be unacceptable I may take the risk and try another F802.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,
Welcome to the clan of Sony! Hope the new set works out for you.
I actually just moved from Hamilton (exit 7A) to Bordentown (exit 7). It's nice to see that central jersey's represented on the forum, too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
I have a four and a half year old Toshiba cinema series "32. I think it still looks great. This tv came out before there was a lot of flat screens and I'm still impressed with how flat and even the screen is. The remotes are poorly built, but other than that I still like it.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just a thought, but you might also want to take a look at the Samsung, Philips & Zenith Flat Tube HDTV's. Saw a test report somewhere, can't remember where, where they tested a Panasonic Tau, Sony XBR & the Philips & the reviewer picked the Philips as the best out of the three.

Tony_Pat

Agent
I didn't really want a HDTV, Bill. I'm on the pessimistic side of the fence when it comes to when HDTV will be widely available, and whether a standard will be selected that current TVs can't support. Besides, a lot of my viewing is cable broadcast (still analog).

I wound up with the 32FV27. Got it for a great price (I know the manager at the store I bought it from; got it for less than a grand).

So far I'm very pleased. I don't see the dreaded pink line or uneven brightness problems. The funhouse effect is almost non-existent (I think I can tweak what's there with some of the geometry codes). The color decoder is way better than the JVC 32F802 I had and returned. The Sony produces a broadcast image that's only slightly grainier than the JVC (in that respect the JVC had a beautiful image). The sound is much better on the Sony. The Tint looks almost perfect, and I haven't even calibrated it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks