What's new

OK..preparing to make the HD dive...seeking info. (1 Viewer)

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
alright lets just get right to the point:
1. I'm spending $2000-$2200.

2. I am definitely securing 1080P...please do not try to sway me otherwise with the following: "are u aware that most broadcasts are 720"..."there's not a big difference between the two"...blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is I'll likely have this tv for at least 5 years, and I want as much technology as I can afford. I mean the aforementioned respectfully, but I've grown weary of salesmen trying to force my hand into 720.

3. I am leaning strongly towards a rear projection as, similar to the thinking above, I would like the LARGEST tv I can afford (my viewing room is also rather large...anywhere from an 10' to 20' viewing distance)

4. I would consider a smaller lcd/plasma tv ONLY if these conditions exist:

1. A reasonably significant (I realize this is a relative term, but I feel folks on the this forum are capable of making the distinction)
2. A marked increase in general reliability. I am not concerned w replacing the projection bulbs on, as this is NOT a reliability issue)

5. Does 1.3 hdmi matter in regards to video? From my reading it appears that it does NOT. I have my HD audio bases covered. That said, it appears that the only major difference between many manufacturers DIRECT model replacements for the next year is the number of HDMI inputs and the 1.3 compatibility. I could save a handsome sum by choosing a current model if the 1.3 is inconsequential to video/image quality.

Brass tacks:
Right now I"m between a MITSU WD-Y65 (1080P 65") and the SONY SXRD 60 A 2020 (current model i believe, upgrade from the 2000?). To be really honest, the mitsu is only in the running because of the larger screen size (marginal, I know) and color quality (which could be in my head too). I guess I feel very similar to the majority of consumer reviews I've read in regards to the sony: i love the deep blacks (especially for a projection), its excellent contrast, and it lacks many of the burn-in, screen door, and rainbow effects that other units suffer from.
I guess in the end, i would buy this tv tomorrow if I had to choose.

advice, experiences, and other suggestions would be great! 2 grand is 2 grand!

thanks,
james

JVC's H-DILA in the 61" or 72". JVC invented the LCOS, and is currently in their sixth generation of this technology. No screen door, burn - in, clouding, or other annoyances.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
OK. Funny, I live in WIS and haven't really seen JVC's units out and about too much. Comparable pricing?

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
good to know, thanks. looks like more technology to either wait for, break the bank for, or kick ourself for not having 6 months down the road.
in the opinion of those here, will the new color technologies have a truly measurable effect on your standard 1080P image...it appears so on the supplied link. have 1.3 hdtvs entered the fray yet, and is this color technology source derived or built n2 the tv's? help, thanks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you're looking at that Mitsu then you're looking at Circuit City. . .they have the Toshiba 65HM167 on sale this week for $1700. If you belong to AAA then you can tack a 10% coupon on top of that (and the coupon counts towards your entire purchase, including a stand).

The 65HM167 has 3 HDMI inputs and (according to an email from Toshiba that someone on the AVS Forum got) is 1.3-compliant. It stacks up very well against the sets you mentioned.

My store actually has several open-box WD-Y57s (or 65s, I forget which) as well.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
hi aaron- appears you are a cc employee? how does that aaa discont apply? i'm sure my parents have it...does it apply to any model? thanks, james

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not an employee; I just bought my TV there. :) And I knew that those Mitsu sets are CC exclusives.

The AAA coupon is actually for 10% off ANY* purchase of $199 or more. And that's the whole purchase, not just one item. I got $170 off the TV and $40 off the stand. Go to the AAA website and search for it in the section for deals for AAA members. You sign up for it there and then they email you a coupon that you can print out and use in the store or online.

I think it said that you have to present your AAA card when you use it, but I didn't have to.

* There are some exclusions -- like I think you can't use it on video game consoles, and I think there are certain brands of plasmas or LCDs, but it's good towards any RPTV and I think any stand. Just read the small print on the coupon when you print it out.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
nice...thanks man. BTW... i'm kind of giving the 1.3 a break. It seems that in regards to video, little to none of the technology useful to it is even avail in current or near future tv's and hddvd units...unless i have again been mis-informed!!

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
hold the phone here people...the mitsubishi i'm looking at (wd-y657) has 4 1.3 hdmis and the new x.v. color technology. wow, didnt know that.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
No, that's right. I don't know how long it'll be before we have source material that takes advantage of the new HDMI 1.3 specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks