What's new

Ok, mobo and RAM (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have an AsRock Penrynn SLI 110db which does support DDR2. I stick in new Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-800 2x1GB and it doesn't post. It starts up but no picture, no beeps or anything. I replaced it with my old RAM (DDR2 400) and everything's fine and I check the BIOS. It says its in single channel mode. I don't know how to turn on the dual channel mode and there's nothing on the lit for the mobo. So...anybody got any ideas?
I did try to increase the voltage for the RAM, switched it between slots (of course I know both have to be in like colored slots to work), to no avail.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It makes you wonder if you have a bad set of Memory since it should be pretty automatic at least to get to the Setup Screen. I can't remember if these can be run solo or only in pairs to check them individually.

I have a different ASRock MB but I suspect the setup menu is similar. In the BIOS menu under "Advanced Setting" CPU Configuration, can you change your Memory Clock setting (I assume Flexibility option Enabled would be good if your BIOS has such)? Mine states 400MHz DDRII800 which sounds similar to your Crucial. I guess you may have to save the settings, reboot, but turn the machine off and exchange memory

I'd certainly try one of the MemTest protocols on the new sticks if possible.

If you have 4 Memory slots, can you slot in all 4 sticks and boot? That would at least let you run the test or see what the BIOS recognized on bootup menu in the BIOS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks