What's new

*** Official VERA DRAKE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Director Mike Leigh's latest film has been mentioned in some awards threads, but I think it needs one of its own.
Topsy-Turvy (1999) is in my collection and Secrets & Lies (1996) is high on my want list. Other noted Leigh films include Life Is Sweet (1990), Naked (1993) and Career Girls (1997). I really need to see those because this man makes great films.
Vera Drake is set in 1950 London. Conversations are still dominated by The War and rationing. The hair, costuming and sets are dead on, as are the depictions of the class system.
Mike Leigh has a habit of not telling his actors any more than they need to know. Imelda Staunton, who I hope wins something for this role, was the only cast member that knew going in that the subject of this film was abortion. Abortion was illegal of course, and the word is not even spoken until late in the movie.
I highly recommend you see this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Vera Drake". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks