What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (4 Viewers)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Collectors... Home Depot is going to be selling a 7-foot tall animated, LED Darth Vader this weekend.

It will feature classic soundbites and sounds, lifelike animatronic movements, and interchangeable accessories for multiple holidays, including a red light saber, Death Star jack-O-lantern, candy cane light saber and a Death Star ornament. $299

793-2024-halloween-ob-328196866-l-a-1.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I see 1 available seat pop up at the Times Square AMC and am slightly tempted. I'm still enough of a nightowl that I could probably actually stay awake for the entire ~20-hour run, except I do already have plans until ~8:30pm tomorrow and would miss at least 1/2 of Ep 1, which I probably wouldn't mind, and again for a couple hours at a concert at Lincoln Center area the next evening at 8pm -- probably wouldn't make much sense to go home just for 2-hour nap before hiking back up there, if I actually stay thru for the whole thing. Still, ~20-hour is a very long marathon... even though I've been (unintentionally) building up my stamina of late (since getting AMC A-List... occasionally doing 3-film marathons followed by some more at home... like just last night :lol::D)...

Maybe if it's for an actually good seat I guess, but I suspect that screen isn't that big/good (based on what I've seen there even just yesterday for my revisit of Civil War on a diff screen w/ identical seating plan and probably identical location 1 level/floor up)...

My own setup would almost certainly rival it (even compared to the absolute best few seats there based on my experience of Civil War yesterday) me thinks... though I would never have the kind of (fun) audience participation/energy in my own HT probably even if/when I have a few friends visit, heh...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s a nice constant height screen suitable for 2.40:1 films such as these. I don’t know the exact size of the screen but I know I’ve seen several movies in that room and have always had a good experience there. If you decide to go, feel free to say hi!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s a nice constant height screen suitable for 2.40:1 films such as these. I don’t know the exact size of the screen but I know I’ve seen several movies in that room and have always had a good experience there. If you decide to go, feel free to say hi!

You're going to that screening? I was thinking it's probably just a modest-sized 1.85:1 screen (like the one where I revisited Civil War), but if it's actually 2.4:1 and makes optimal use of the space, then that sounds (much) more promising than I thought...

Was also wonder if the nearby comic shop (that I also just visited for my 1st time yesterday while roaming a bit in between movies) would actually stay open late/overnight (or open early on Saturday) because of this marathon, heh...

Looks like probably not, BUT they are participating in Free Comics Day, which happens to be 5/4 this time...

BTW, they apparently do plan to play some Star Wars music -- probably some medley -- for an encore(?) at the (free, Julliard MAP) concert I'm attending on Sat evening, heh...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You're going to that screening? I was thinking it's probably just a modest-sized 1.85:1 screen (like the one where I revisited Civil War), but if it's actually 2.4:1 and makes optimal use of the space, then that sounds (much) more promising than I thought...

That AMC has a lot of common width theaters with curtains/masking that actually still works so there have been a good number of times I’ve been there and walked in and went “oh that’s too bad” and then the lights go down and the curtains open and it looks great. When that was my regular theater I had a much better idea of the size of each room but a lot of that’s faded from memory. But I know I’ve seen a lot of stuff in auditorium 9, I think that’s their largest non-premium room (I think they have two or three of those same layout rooms in the building.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That AMC has a lot of common width theaters with curtains/masking that actually still works so there have been a good number of times I’ve been there and walked in and went “oh that’s too bad” and then the lights go down and the curtains open and it looks great. When that was my regular theater I had a much better idea of the size of each room but a lot of that’s faded from memory. But I know I’ve seen a lot of stuff in auditorium 9, I think that’s their largest non-premium room (I think they have two or three of those same layout rooms in the building.)

Ok, I just bit after seeing a better/good seat pop up. Seems like it should be pretty close to ideal (for me) for a 2.4:1 screen w/ that seating plan judging from my revisit of Civil War yesterday, if the screen is actually wider (w/out losing much, if any height) than what I saw yesterday. :D:cool:

Yeah, I'm aware there are a few screens like you indicated, but don't recall if I ever actually tried that auditorium.

Wish I had remembered quickly to get myself a 10%-off GC to use for this though, but oh well, at least I did use a Fandango promo code, heh... :lol::D:cool:

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think i’m gonna take one of my twins on Sunday morning - he’ll never enjoy Jar Jar more than he will right now, at age 4 1/2. My other twin had zero interest after seeing the trailer and gave me an emphatic thumbs down, lol.
It’s the logical thing to do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok, I just bit after seeing a better/good seat pop up. Seems like it should be pretty close to ideal (for me) for a 2.4:1 screen w/ that seating plan judging from my revisit of Civil War yesterday, if the screen is actually wider (w/out losing much, if any height) than what I saw yesterday. :D:cool:

Yeah, I'm aware there are a few screens like you indicated, but don't recall if I ever actually tried that auditorium.

Wish I had remembered quickly to get myself a 10%-off GC to use for this though, but oh well, at least I did use a Fandango promo code, heh... :lol::D:cool:

_Man_

Wonder what kinda breaks they'll insert between movies for this marathon... and what kinda overnight concession/staffing/etc will be available...

Refillable popcorn and soda(?) (w/ my A-List membership) would definitely be (very) worthwhile for this me thinks, heh, even though I'm not usually much of a movie-snacker nor that into popcorn...

Hmmm... upon checking my AMC app to see about concessions, looks like they've only scheduled that screen for Fall Guy at 9pm on Sat after this marathon, so if they do the usual ~30min break between showtimes, that would mean Ep 9 ends near/around 8:30pm. That means they're planning ~4 hours worth of breaks or ~1/2 hour between movies, inclusive of trailers/ads if any. Makes sense... although I would need to leave by ~7:20pm to make it upto Alice Tully Hall for an 8pm concert -- I guess that would probably be perfect to help me pretend the Palpatine retcon (and that awful silly, gag-inducing, resurrection "kiss") didn't happen... though I'd miss the rest of that climax... :P

Maybe I should finally invest in an(other) extra comfy neck pillow in case I wanna take a nap or something w/out going home, LOL... Too bad this auditorium doesn't have the comfy recliners. Wonder if they'll let us sneak into the ones that do for a nap at some point(s), heh -- there's probably an AMC Prime auditorium nearby on the same floor for that... ;):lol::D

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wonder what kinda breaks they'll insert between movies for this marathon... and what kinda overnight concession/staffing/etc will be available...

Refillable popcorn and soda(?) (w/ my A-List membership) would definitely be (very) worthwhile for this me thinks, heh, even though I'm not usually much of a movie-snacker nor that into popcorn...

Hmmm... upon checking my AMC app to see about concessions, looks like they've only scheduled that screen for Fall Guy at 9pm on Sat after this marathon, so if they do the usual ~30min break between showtimes, that would mean Ep 9 ends near/around 8:30pm. That means they're planning ~4 hours worth of breaks or ~1/2 hour between movies, inclusive of trailers/ads if any. Makes sense... although I would need to leave by ~7:20pm to make it upto Alice Tully Hall for an 8pm concert -- I guess that would probably be perfect to help me pretend the Palpatine retcon (and that awful silly, gag-inducing, resurrection "kiss") didn't happen... though I'd miss the rest of that climax... :P

Maybe I should finally invest in an(other) extra comfy neck pillow in case I wanna take a nap or something w/out going home, LOL... Too bad this auditorium doesn't have the comfy recliners. Wonder if they'll let us sneak into the ones that do for a nap at some point(s), heh -- there's probably an AMC Prime auditorium nearby on the same floor for that... ;):lol::D

_Man_
May is a busy movie month for me. I plan on seeing 2 other films this month in the theater.

I saw the 3D phantom menace many years ago too. I saw phantom menace way too many times during it 1999 run. Early 20s and lots more free time and not a lot of obligations. I saw it at least 8 times. It was so exciting to have a Star Wars film when I didn’t believe there would ever be one again. The special editions in 1997 were so exciting too. Again for the same reason. Before those return of the Jedi in 1983 was the last time I had previously seen a Star Wars film in the theater.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Episode 3 beginning now... :P:cool:

_Man_

Prequel Trilogy just completed. Been a very long time since I last saw all 3 (more or less) in their entirety... and certainly a very fun crowd for seeing this, if at times kinda odd w/ laughter and/or applause, heh...

Not too sure how long I'll last before dozing off some bit. I had planned on trying to make it all the way w/out dozing off, but didn't actually get nearly as much good sleep beforehand as I hoped.

They're firing up fresh coffee for sale during this (modestly longer) 1/2 hour break. IF they're offering free refills during each (short) break, I may go for that now, but otherwise, will probably just hold off some more and have some caffeinated soda during the OT... :lol:

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Prequel Trilogy just completed. Been a very long time since I last saw all 3 (more or less) in their entirety... and certainly a very fun crowd for seeing this, if at times kinda odd w/ laughter and/or applause, heh...

Not too sure how long I'll last before dozing off some bit. I had planned on trying to make it all the way w/out dozing off, but didn't actually get nearly as much good sleep beforehand as I hoped.

They're firing up fresh coffee for sale during this (modestly longer) 1/2 hour break. IF they're offering free refills during each (short) break, I may go for that now, but otherwise, will probably just hold off some more and have some caffeinated soda during the OT... :lol:

_Man_
Was the screening well attended?

I’m going to the phantom menace screening this afternoon.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RotJ next in a few minutes... and then a ~45min lunch break...

BTW, turned out I have the ideal/best seat for this... and definitely better than I could do at home... though it probably made TPM and even AotC look too soft (and somewhat washed out looking), heh...

IMG_0832.jpeg

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks