What's new

*** Official ONG BAK: THE THAI WARRIOR Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
George's girlfriend Muaylek has one of the most grating voices ever recorded for film. Holy mother of Murgatroyd, she was annoying.

Alot of the action looked like what gymnasts would fight like if they had to adapt their moves into the fight world. But nonetheless, amazing action sequences devoid of CGI and other camera trickery.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

GYMKATA Baby!:D

I have to admit that the action was great, the fights, for the most part where great as well, not too far fetched, and nice tight action with long takes split up by repeating certain sequences. But, on the whole the film was a let down, playing to me more like a show case for Tony Jaa as opposed to a film that utilizes Tony Jaa. A better film would be interesting, but Tony's Mike Tyson sounding voice does not exactly scream intemeadation for a tough guy role.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They CLAIM no wires, but there are a few scenes that it is clear that wires were used. No CG seems like a fair claim though, because it doesn't look like the budget would have allowed it!

chris winters

Second Unit
saw this last weekend and thought it was amazing. I loved every part of it. On a side note, the Thai boxers are suposedly the most bad ass of all the martial arts. There was allegedly a tournament in the 80s where all the styles from asia were represented and the Thais with thier kickboxers consistently kicked the others asses. I remember sombody saying it was becuase when studying they simply get kicked in the face repeatedly from a very young age and become tough as nails. No joke.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Also, if you look at the UFC fighters most of them incorporate some aspect of Muay Thai in their repertoire, along with the grappling arts.

George See

Second Unit
Saw this over the weekend, amazing stunts and fights amazingly bad plot and acting. But that's more or less what i expected going into it, so I was in no way dissapointed. This guys got fast legs...really fast, very impressive stuff can't wait to see him in a better movie.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
This Tony Jaa guy is going to be a big international star in a few years time.

I've never seen him before, so when you see him at first in this movie he looks like a college or maybe even a high school kid. That's the most funny part.

But in action there's a sense of kinetic thrill to the action. I don't know what people felt like in the US when they first saw Bruce Lee in the early 1970s, but I'd imagine it was something like this.

I also liked the grittiness of this movie. It got a bit silly at times, but overall it was well done. Its mostly a demo reel to showcase Tony Jaa's unbelievable athletic exploits, but it works well.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Man! My jaw hit the floor repeatedly with this movie. I rented it from Netflix and watched it over the weekend with my brother in law. We kept looking at each other in disbelief!

Tony Jaa is the next Jet Li. Better yet, he might be the next Bruce Lee. That's how good he is.

Agreed! :angry:

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I read on the internet that the American version that I saw was chopped up horribly when compared to the original version plus a new soundtrack was added to make it more hip.

I liked the soundtrack a lot and don't mind the re-mixing. But I hope we get a chance to watch the un-edited movie without shortened fight sequences and removed sub-plots in the near future.

It's been a while since a martials arts movie made me think about it, even a few days after watching. This is THAT good.

Rent it or buy it if you haven't seen it.

PS: I hope the Die Hard 4 rumor is false. No need to copy the idea of a bad-ass martial arts villain from Lethal Weapon 4. Obvious comparisons would be made and IMO, that'd be detrimental to the movie.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Tony Ja's amazing, if he were more comedic or personable I'd definitely say he's the next Jackie Chan. As it is, he's my pick for the premier stunt performer in film right now .... amazing is really too mild of a word. Stunning!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks