What's new

*** OFFICIAL NYC Area HTF personal/personnel WTC tragedy thread **STAY ON-TOPIC PLEASE!!** (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to jump in here and ask, particularly those who live in the New York and Washington DC areas, if any of you been affected directly by what happened on Tuesday. At the Bits, we're really disheartened to learn just how many of our readers were in the area, or God forbid were actually in the towers, when this tragedy occurred. I've gotten e-mail from both readers and industry friends of the Bits who were directly involved in this. This is a community, and I just wanted you all to know that we share your pain. Best to all of you...
------------------
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
[email protected]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It really hit me this morning.
I regularly work in Manhattan and Long Island. Finally this morning, they opened up both levels of the George Washington Bridge, so I was able to go to work.
While crossing the bridge in the past, it was always a wonderful sight to look down the West Side at that breathtaking view of the Manhattan skyline. I never got tired of looking at it.
This morning was different. I felt as though I had been punched in the stomach. Gone was one of the defining landmarks of NYC. It seemed so surreal, the Twin Towers
not part of that skyline anymore. I almost teared up. I grew up in this area and those building were a part of my growing up, always in the distance, but never out of view.
I can't shake the anger/sadness I feel over this tragedy. I feel violated as I'm sure many of us do.
But I have confidence that America, NYC, and all of us will overcome this nightmare and be stronger than ever.
God Bless America!
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Mods,
I apologize if my post to this thread was considered being off topic.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I also live approx 40 miles east of Manhattan and not too far from John Tillman, whom I know well.
Having been to WTC several times, I can say that it is an experience one must have when visiting NY City. Sadly enough, now, no one will be able to enjoy that experience.
Moreso, gazing at the famous NY City skyline will never be the same. Having driven hundreds of times past the city and flown several times past NY City into LaGuardia airport, I can still vividly see that skyline out of my window in my mind. Whenever I think about NY City, the twin towers are always there. It is like losing a part of your life. Hopefully a decision will be made to rebuild the towers and once again restore NY City's famous skyline.
On another note, this morning, while teaching at the high school, we all smelled the debris and fumes of the WTC destruction as it traveled east. This reminded us that it is a sad week for all of us as Americans and for the world. Its sad that something like this could happen anytime, anywhere in the world. Shame on those who did this.
Best wishes to those who are in NY City attempting to save lives and fix what has been broken. I thank you for your efforts in these difficult times.
My condolences to all those who perished and to their families. I will never forget you.
Best to all,
Eric.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm really starting to get worried now. I've called my friend Phil three times over three days and got his machine (voice mailbox). The 2nd time I asked him to at least change the outgoing message on his voicemail to say "I'm okay" in the event that he couldn't call out due to busy circuits. I just got through again tonight and the outgoing message was not changed.
frown.gif

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys.
I work for Garban Icap which used to be located at 1 World Trade Center on the 26th floor (the first tower to get hit). I was having tea when everything shook real hard. So hard I almost fell off of my chair.
We headed towards the emergency exits thinking that it was an earthquake or a bomb. The staircases were so packed that it took us about 20 minutes to make to the lobby, inhaling smoke the whole time. We exited through the World Financial center.
Once we were outside, we turned around to look at the towers and to see what had happened. Horrified, we saw both towers on fire and even more horrified we saw people jumping from the windows. I got to see three people jump before I looked away. There were what I thought rumors, saying that planes had crashed into the buildings but I just couldn't believe something like that could happen to us.
We started evacuating the area when a few minutes later the buildings collapsed. I had only made it as far as two blocks away (Chase Manhattan Plaza for those of you that know the Wall St. area) when the first tower collapsed. I was in shock. Everything looked like it was happening in slow motion. People around me were running and screaming, some of them falling down and getting stepped on, and yet there I was in shock looking at the building come down without moving.
What finally made me react was the cloud of debris that arose. It started taking everything in its path. I started running but the cloud was just too fast and it overtook us in seconds. Everthing went pitch blank instantly. And the worst part, I couldn't breathe even though I covered my mouth and nose with my shirt. Every time I tried to inhale, I would suck in all that debris. I was choking for a couple of minutes. It was the first time in my life that I actually felt I was not going to make it. My whole life went through my eyes during those seconds. I just started thinking about my family.
Luckily the air cleared up a bit after a few minutes. You could barely see people walking around, but you knew they were coughing, vomiting, crying and calling for help. Some offices were open and letting people in. We ran inside to breathe some fresh air (at least much better than the air outside). The people there were really nice and let us use the bathroom to get cleaned up a little bit and to have a drink of water. Most importantly, they let us make phone calls. I immediately called my wife to let her know I was fine.
We then went back outside and the police started evacuating everyone to the north of the city. I have never walked so much in my life but I was glad to do it then. I would've walked 10 times as much if I had to, everything to leave all that distruction behind.
I'm glad I made it out without a scratch but I can't help but feel guilty about the people that didn't. Now I know the meaning of the phrase "Live every moment like it is your last".
------------------
Andres
http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Very glad to hear you are safe and sound Andres! I had no idea that you worked in the WTC. I missed seeing you and your wife at Scooter's this summer, hope to see you next time.
Once again, glad to hear you're safe; and I agree, we should all seize each day.
------------------
"When you call me that, smile!"
My DVD Collection

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dean, great news regarding your wife's friends' sister.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
That's a great story. This is exactly why family members are in the street with pictures of loved ones. You've got to have hope.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank God Again!
I finally heard from Phil! He was vacationing in France at the time (and is still there) and that's why he wasn't checking his voicemail.
I hadn't realized exactly how much I was freaking out until I heard his voice on my machine. It felt like a ton was lifted off of my chest.
I continue to pray and hope for all of your loved ones. Keep up your hopes!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
It's been several months since I've read/posted here at the forum. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.
I've been glued to CNN since I got home on Tuesday.
Have been deeply moved by all the people CNN has shown at the armory, etc. as well as everyone's stories here. I thought I'd jot down a few of my own.
Two people. One, my best friend's cousin, and another, a friend of a friend... work in the WTC complex. Both were unaccounted for as of 11pm mountain time on tuesday. The first, was sick that day, it was food poisoning of the meal he ate the night before. He called in sick to work on Tuesday morning. The second, was having breakfast with a client of his at a restaraunt several blocks away. Both were spared. I find it amazing that there are several factors in many of these 'close call' stories, that kept them from sure harm. (forgotten power cord, sleeping off a hangover from the night before, etc). I feel the same is true for both of these.
It may be an afterthought to some people (oh, the cousin of a friend of an HT nut in Canada was spared), but I think it's important to note there were many people of many nationalities and ethnicities that were affected by this disaster.
I work for the phone company here in Calgary and we were on security alert. Our 27 floor tower downtown was evacuated with heavy security at the entrances. Switching stations were also guarded by our employees and/or police and repair work was cancelled at such facilities. It may seem this is overcautious of us but the Calgary intl airport was the temporary destination for 13 stranded international flights bound for the states. By the way, apparently the first int'l flight that landed in us airspace was an air italia flight to LAX that departed from Calgary International.
On a personal note, it took a couple of days for everything to sink in. It seemed like a bad bruckheimer movie. Today was the national day of mourning here. Three minutes of silence at 10am. I went to a show of support / ceremony at Olympic Plaza which was very emotional. Many half-usa-half-canadian flags, both national anthems... a lot of people breaking down crying, especially at the mention of the firefighters and other rescuers. Tonight a candlelight vigil downtown. Candles everywhere, and in many windows in my area of town. Of course I donated blood at the red cross to be sent to ground zero, and donated at the red cross at the malls.
For others like me, that are far away and want to do something more, I came across this address and phone of a local Pizza Hut close to ground zero through one of my coworkers. I called them up and ordered $50 worth of Pizza to be sent to the rescue workers. Please do so if you like.
Without getting into politics in this forum, I think the President, while not saying overly much, during this a time of grief, has said what has needed to be said and I'm sure he has the support of Canada, and other major world leaders to crush whoever was responsible for this.
I pray every day that our children will never know a world with such Terror.
Today we are all Americans.
My hopes, thoughts, and prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
God Bless the children. God Bless us all.
Pizza Hut in NYC to give donations to the rescue workers... if you like
(212) 563-7440
162 W 34TH ST
NEW YORK NY, 10001-2102
Perhaps some of our NY friends could give a closer location
I apologize if I have been rambling.
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 15, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks