What's new

*** Official "LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
During hard times like these, we sometimes need something to raise our spirits. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the feel-good film that the world has been waiting for. This French film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (City of Lost Children) is a rare treasure that brings out the best in us.
The film stars the adorable Audrey Tautou as Amélie, and Mathieu Kassovitz (director of Hate and The Crimson Rivers). My local newspaper gave this film 5 stars (the only film to ever receive such a rating), so I decided to catch it on Friday. Since French is my first language, I watched it in a French movie theater since the English theaters only have it subtitled. And, I LOVED this movie!! (I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, so I'll keep my comments to myself for now.)
I don't think this film will be released in the US until November, but everyone in Europe & Canada should see this film if they can. I have a feeling that we have found this year's recipient of the "Best Foreign Film" Oscar.
It has already reached the #1 spot on IMDB's Link Removed

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Michael, the movie sounds great - I loved City of Lost Children and Delicatessen. I'll be looking for it...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Amelie from Montmartre is the english title. I just took a brief look at the website and the IMDB page, and I'm sold.
Michael, do you know who the Canadian distributor for this is? Sounds like Alliance to me (if so, I'll talk to my theater peeps to get in touch with distribution.)
Jay-Bo
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Oh if it's either that's great, preferably Alliance since they're very close with the people at the smaller theaters in town. :)
Just watched the trailer and I'm blown away. It was in french with no subtitles (I only know a hint of french and understood a tad of the dialogue, but I don't know enough to speak it), but it has beautiful widescreen cinematography and a fine look to it. I must see this.
Jason (again)
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I just bought the film's soundtrack today, and I haven't stopped listening to it. Maybe I'm becoming obsessed about this movie... :)
Amazon France lets you sample a few seconds of each track here . (Tracks #4, #17 and #19 are my favorite.)

Sandra

Agent
My cousin plays the piano and while I was staying with my family in France over the summer, I heard the music ad-nauseum (he saw the movie 6 times). Still good tune though.
I saw it while I was there and I agree it's very good. One of my top 3 movies so far this year (with 'Hedwig and The Angry Inch' and 'Moulin Rouge' to a lesser extend). Granted, the year has been very poor so far (A.I. comes out only next week here and LOTR is still coming
biggrin.gif
) but I still recommend it. I'll probably go back when it comes out in the UK (October 5th I think).

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Alliance owns the rights in English Canada and the rights to the English subtitled version in Quebec. TVA own the French language rights in Quebec. Miramax own the film in the United States.
Alliance are fully aware of the gem that they own and plan on aggresively marketing the film across the country.
[Edited last by Rob W on September 17, 2001 at 06:05 PM]

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I got to see this at the Toronto Film Fest (where it took home the prize for "Audience Favorite"), and I must agree with the majority, this is a great movie. Note, the US distributor is Miramax, so you know it has Oscar potential.
wink.gif

------------------
Fantasia-Firebird.jpg

My:Hardware LDs DVDs Top Tens

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If you can, listen to sountrack track #8 "A Quai"
I also read that Miramax is pushing this film very hard for the oscars. I can almost gurantee that It will win.
Man, if it does, I hope they put love and care into this DVD. Let's hope they add a DTS track, since the movie was recorded with a DTS track for the theater.
Everything about this film, I simply love. It does everything so right. It's a real charmer.
It's really sad that people don't want to see this film, b/c they have to "read it"
I've been trying to push at least 3 people to see it, and won't, for that very reason.
But, I did talk with this one guy at another movie, who loves french movies, and told him to see this ASAP. He told me he would take my word for it and would see it.:)

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
[*]Link Removed (Reuters)
Currently the film is ranked 23rd on the IMDb's Link Removed list! With an impressive score of 9.0/10...
Tu le mérites, Jean-Pierre! :D

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Just a quick question about this movie. Why was Amelie giving the painter quick video clips? Of all her good deeds, this is the only one I'm uncertain about. Was it just because he never gets outside to see the world?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I think she wanted to show him how interesting and bizarre life could be. I guess she assumed his existence was boring and dull couped up in his flat and she wanted to livening up his life a litte bit maybe.

You're right the motivation for this one is definitely the least obvious of her deeds.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I think her motivation was quite obvious. With the video Amelié wanted to show him that he shouldn't worry about the woman on his painting which does not seem to belong there because she has her place, like Amelié herself or the horse racing the Tour de France. The horse in the video made the racing so much more fun and exciting, an image that sticks in your head. At least this is my take of the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks