What's new

*** Official "CITY OF GOD" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
About a month ago I read that they are coming out with a 2 disc special edition in 2004 that will have even better special features and now with the nominations I think that will probably happen.
Andre,

Could you do us a favor and let us if that does happen? I'm thinking about buying a region-free DVD player with my tax return and would love to get the best version of this movie on DVD, regardless of region.

Just so this doesn't get moved to the Delay of City of God thread, this movie was my #2 for 2002. Perhaps, I should put it on my 2003 list as well?

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
It's out. I thought it would only come in february but the two disc edition is already for sale and immediate delivery. Here is the link. Yes it is a Brazilian page but it's just for those that are curious about the box etc...
http://www.submarino.com.br/dvds_pro...d=210909&ST=SE
The price is R$39,00 + shipping. In US dollars that's about 14 bucks plus shipping. It's 5.1 DD portuguese only with english, french, spanish and portuguese subtitles.
Will the region 1 version have an English soundtrack?
Regards,
André

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I think he arranged for a post-Oscar nom release to help sell the film and then got burned when it got passed over. By then it was too late to submit it for 2002 and he had committed to the 2003 release. Perhaps he could have backed out of that distribution (not sure what those costs would have been) but he probably figured that if it couldn't even get a FF nomination that it had no shot at anything else.
I'm going by a rough memory from a year ago reading about how Miramax got "burned" and ended up stuck in no man's land with the film.
Of course I would agree with those who think he could have made much more of this film if he had played it stronger...and what about the freaking DVD? Unless somehow it's release date either had nothing to do with his choices (like a legal hang up) or he had a feeling it might get nom'd still and wanted a second shot at an Oscar nom theatrical release. If that's the case he sure got it.
Frankly, I think if he had worked the system as well for CoG as he does for his championed films he could have garnered a Best Pix nomination, easily pushing Seabiscuit out I think, even from earlier in the year (after all that's where Biscuit came from).
Of course CoG would not win Best Pix, and 4 noms is still quite enough to get serious recognition for the film, especially when it has a strong shot at a Best Editing win.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Just wondering how you guys would categorise the performance of Leandro Firmino in terms of being a supporting cast or a leading actor? Besides Rocket who's in about 90% of the film, could Lil' Ze also be classified as a leading character?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I could see him as a leading character, but the Academy is pretty inconsistent with this sort of thing. William H. Macy was nominated for supporting actor for Fargo, even though he had more screen time than best actress winner Frances McDormand.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's extremely unusual for me to return to the theater for a non-blockbuster film, that's how blown away I was by City of God the first time.
Seth,

I'm curious about this. Can you elaborate more on why you normally will only see blockbuster films a second time? I'm not bashing you, just curious.

Jeff

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
I suppose its the spectacle of it, or perhaps the fluff/fun of it. Breaking the Waves doesn't have me begging for a second viewing right away.
I do watch serious films, foreign and art dramas, etc. a 2nd time and more, but often I wait till DVD because I just need the breather and time away from the film.
I suppose that City of God, being so stylish at times and musically oriented, has the same appeal as Trainspotting or Run Lola Run which are two other foreign films that I immediately wanted to see again.
But I would return to the spectacle angle which I think is a common selling point to audiences, that seeing the dinos or the explosions, the space scenes or the orc war on the big screen gives you an experience that is hard to mimic at home, while the smaller dramas do carry over to home viewing with equal power (allegedly). (note here: Brotherhood of the Wolf, foreign film but spectacle, waited till DVD for the 2nd viewing of that one)
Discussing it does make it sound a bit silly, but then again not entirely. I don't think its a shallow viewpoint to return to the theater for spectacle over drama (and you didn't imply that it was), but in defending it there seems to be a hint of the ideal (that it is shallow).
This coming from a firm defender of film delivery vs digital and cinema vs home theater as the prime viewing option. Now I do try to see all the great non-blockbusters at the theater the first time, so I'm not totally inconsistent.
The short of it is that its probably better said that City of God was just a hella good ride worthy of more than just $8 and some popcorn just once. :)
For the record, I will be going to see it again in the rerelease, but of course it's been some 10 months since I last saw it and by now the DVD would normally have come out.
Lil'Ze would be a supporting character in my mind. As far as the inconsistent Academy goes, I think you will find that its actually the FILMMAKERS who must submit the actor as either a lead or supporting character for the nomination votes, not the Academy itself.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think you will find that its actually the FILMMAKERS who must submit the actor as either a lead or supporting character for the nomination votes, not the Academy itself.
Actually, I don't know as that's the case. I think that during the nominating period (which runs, what, basically January this year?), the members of the Academy in that specific area - i.e., only actors can nominate actors - can nominate a performance under either lead or supporting, though the filmmakers/studios attempt to guide that process somewhat with the "For Your Consideration" ads and other marketing.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Darnit, I thought we figured this out for sure a few years ago. Not saying you're wrong, but it sounds like we both sort of think we know but aren't positive.
Maybe we need an Oscar FAQ just for ourselves. :)
Perhaps you are right, but I guess I'll look around a bit just in case.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
It is the studio/producer who "present" an actor in a category to the Academy. And, it is not always agreed upon in different circles. I believe, just recently, there have been actors who were nominated in one category in the SAG awards and the other category for the Oscars.

Fact is, they choose which category they wish to campaign in, and perception becomes reality. There are no guidelines for determining it. Hopkins felt confident he could win as Best Actor, even though Hanibal was clearly what many would call a supporting role. He was right and he won. Sean Astin was campaigning for Best Supporting Actor - he, and New Line, sure he stood a better chance in that category.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Finally saw this the other night and was very satisfied. Definitely one of the best films of the year.

I noticed something weird. On the poster (and DVD cover too I'm assuming) it shows the scene towards the beginning (and end) of the film where Lil Ze's gang are standing in the street pointing their guns while Rocket is picking up the chicken. The funny thing is, on the poster all the guns have been removed, so it is just a bunch of kids pointing their fingers in a threatening manner. Anyone else notice this?

(I've had the poster on my wall for a month at least, but never noticed it until after I saw the film)

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
on the poster all the guns have been removed, so it is just a bunch of kids pointing their fingers in a threatening manner.
The region 2 DVD cover art does showcase that particular scene in question and though not entirely removed it is blurred.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks