What's new

*** Official BAD BOYS II Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I friggin loved this movie. Yea it wasn't mentally stimulating or thought-provoking but it was damn fun and had a sweet soundtrack. Plus like someone said before this was one of the best prints I've seen at the theaters in a long time. One thing, I find it funny that some people complain about Bay's overly kinetic camera moves but when Ang Lee did it in the Hulk it was cinematic orgasms for everyone. Please.

Some of the camera moves made more sense in the context of this film than some of the over-the-top overused ones in quiter scenes of the Hulk and most people applauded Ang Lee for that. Sometimes I wonder why all the envy and hate for Michael Bay. Some people act like he raped their grandmothers and put sugar in their gas tanks or something. Can't wait for the dvd, hopefully there will be a DTS track from the get go.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this movie for the second time and I think it is by far the best ACTION movie of the summer. After sitting through garbage like The Hulk, Charlie's Angels Full Throttle and 2 Fast 2 Furious, it was nice to finally see an action movie that kicks ass and makes no apologies for what it is. I'm glad this movie has already grossed over $100 million just to show all the pompous movie critics that nobody pays attention to what they say or think. People go to summer movies to have fun and be entertained for a couple of hours(or in this case nearly two and a half hours). Everyone I know that has seen the film loved it and thought it was one of the best(if not the best) action films of the year. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD and I hope Columbia gives it the SuperBit treatment with reference quality audio(DTS) and video. Also, I second what Marque D said in an earlier post about this film looking absolutely stunning in a good theater. It was hands-down the best looking film I've ever seen at my local cinema and I don't know why it looked so much better than other films, but I hope it's as stunning on DVD as it was at the theater. Love him or hate him, you have to give Michael Bay credit for blowing s**t up better than anyone in Hollywood. He is truly the Jedi master of action films. I hope they get the whole team back together for Bad Boys III.

david stark

Second Unit
I'm sitting pretty much in the middle of the road for this film. It was an enjoyable 2 hours, overall I preferred the first one. It's no classic, but it's a pretty good action film and some very good comedy moments (as mentioned previously - morgue scene, the kid coming over for the date).

I think it did lack a bad guy with some character. He was just there, not particulalrly menacing or evil, just not a very nice man.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
How could anyone not like The Rock? It's one of the all-time kick ass action movies and probably Bay's best overall film. I loved Bad Boys II, but I'd have to say I still prefer The Rock over it. To each his own, I guess.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if it's made enough to warrant a BB3? Has there been any talk or rumors about it since BB2 premiered?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's made over $110M. If Tomb Raider got another sequal then I think BB will get a third.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I believe that I read a while ago that Smith and Lawrence had a lot of fun doing BBII and would definitely come back for a third installment. I don't think there's been any other news.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Saw this last week and loved the hell outta it. Great time for all (except those noted above) How you can not enjoy a Bruckheimer flick like this is beyond me. Comedy, action and man o man lots bodies flying around this time.

It took me a while to figure out who was playing the bad guy, but then I realized it was Diego from Blow. Think he might be getting typecasted...

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Saw it yesterday and LOVED IT!!. God, I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time. I was in tears and my stomach was hurting like hell.

The 15 yr old boyfriend interrogation was probably the one that got me laughing the hardest. Ebert once again proved to me why I don't read ANY of his reviews, him predicting that nobody would laugh at this. Everyone was laughing out loud during this scene.

The action was amazing. Very cool camera shots! One word comes to mind...EXPENSIVE! The highway scene, Jesus! how many cars did they destroy?? The big house in Cuba, I read that it was an actual house worth $10 million!
How much did this movie cost???

I was very surprised at how much gore was showed. Not that I mind. :D

One thing I wasn't too happy about was the final act in Cuba. Where did that come from? It was like watching a totally different movie. It was cool and all, but felt very out of place.

Oh, someone said all the characters came back from the original. Not so. The two Cuban cops that were always fighting with Marcus and Mike in the first one didn't come back. They got another pair of Cubans which weren't as effective. Minor point though.

Great fun. It will not win any Academy Award nominations but it entertained me and that's what really matters to me.
Whatever money it makes is very well deserved!

BRING ON THE THIRD!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
That house in Cuba was actually a home in the Miami area and it cost nearly $40 MILLION to build. Once it was constructed, the owners decided they didn't like the design and wanted it demolished so they could put up a new house in its place. The took out an ad in Variey or The Hollywood Reporter saying they had a house that needed to be destroyed if anybody wanted to film a scene with a house exploding. Naturally, Michael Bay jumped at the chance and the rest is film history. It made for a kick ass scene in the movie, but people with the money to build a $40 million dollar house and then demolish it to put up a new one in its place should be shot in the head.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, you know the curtains with clashing with the columns just outside the porch, everything just had to go!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
but people with the money to build a $40 million dollar house and then demolish it to put up a new one in its place should be shot in the head.
That property was being split up among a few people to each build houses on. So they were going to have to demolish the house anyway.

The guy that was selling probably didn't loose any money. He wouldn't go out of pocket 40M just to make a movie. The real estate sale to those people probably covered his cost and the movie probably picked up the demolition cost and removal of the waste.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Andres,

Box Office Mojo says production costs were $130 million with marketing costs of $40 million.

Steve,

I hadn't heard the property was being split up after the house was demolished. I remember hearing that the owners didn't like the house after it was built so they were tearing it down to put up a new one in its' place. Maybe that was just a rumor and what you've heard is the truth. As far as demolition and removal costs, the movie studio did pick up the bill for everything--that much I know is true.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

I know what you're saying. If you can't be satisfied with a home like that, you have a seriously warped sense of values. I think Michael Bay said in an interview that the house was something like 50,000 square feet. Who the hell needs a house that big? I guess it's one of those "my dick is bigger than yours" type of things, but a house that size is still just a little much if you ask me. However, when you consider that the Biltmore Estate in N.C. is 175,000 square feet, I guess the demolished house wasn't so bad after all. Yeah, right.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Or if you are a multi-billionaire then it really isn't that big of a deal. You sell the property and come out even and buy something you like. It's all relative.

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I just so it also great movie good action funny.This going to be a great dvd.I hope that they do it right the first time and make it a 2 disc superbit with dts 24/96. ;)

YANG

Screenwriter
"Glad to see it at #1 this week...

Bring on the standard DVD release baby!

Then bring on the special edition DVD release...YES!

Oh yeah, then bring on the Superbit DVD release! Hell yeah!

Okay, COLUMBIA.....don't screw us over on this one please! Superbit Deluxe out the gate. Make up for that three ring circus you gave us earlier. And knowing Michael Bay now, and all the marketing that went into this flick, there are bound to be ASSLOADS of extras, HBO Specials, Behind the Scenes, outtakes, TRAILERS (ALTERNATE CAMERA ANGLES...REMEMBER THOSE!?!!?! - one of the main selling features for DVD back in 1997!) Hell, show Martin putting a big ass dent in the Ferrari. That would be nice!"

Yeah...this time round BB2 really qualify for a ULTRA S.E release in DVD. Lots of materials to go for a 2disc release...the car chases,bloopers,multi-angle highway chase views,deleted scenes...and more...Maybe CTHV can re-title the making of documentary as "BAD BOYS,BAD BOYS(2)...WATCH WE GONNA DO?" focusing on the stunts of FERRARI highway chase. Not to forget,maybe the "rat-f*ck just like us" extended humor look?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
SuperBit Deluxe right out of the gate would be sweet, but I seriously doubt we'll get that as the initial release. I'd just be happy with a 2-disc SE right out of the gate because this is one movie where I want to see all of the bonus features(outtakes, behind-the-scenes footage, making-of documentaries covering the car chases, house explosion, Hummer destruction scene, gunfights, etc). I can't wait for this DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks