What's new

Off centre sound on (some) Blurays (1 Viewer)

I own a Panasonic BD55 Bluray player and I use the inbuilt decoders to send the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD signals to my Yamaha receiver via analog cables. On some discs, the sound is fabulous: voices up front, effects all round (Master & Commander and 300 are good examples).

But on other Blurays, the sound in TrueHD or DTS HD is annoyingly off to the right and no matter how I adjust the speakers, it stays that way. It almost feels as though I've gone deaf in my left ear. (Example: Broken Trail.) So I shut down the multi channel input and listen to them in standard 5.1, which is fine, but not really what I want from a Bluray.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Does anybody have any suggestions/remedies?

(I originally posted this in Audio/Video Sources. Seems better here. And I've treid but failed to delete the original post.)

Yes, fully up to date. I've been spending a long time going through the manual and although I've followed the instructions careully, the problem persists.

Solution (I think).

I spent some time yesterday playing around with speaker placement - specifically: the two rear centre speakers. I was able to 'push' the dialogue more towards the front and centre by setting the speakers off to the sides rather in the centre. This doesn't explain why I had the problem on some discs in the first place, but at least I no longer feel off balance listening.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I know we don't like to talk about that "other" HT forum, but AVS Forum has a huge thread for the BD35/BD55. I would recommend searching that thread and, if you can't find an answer, post your question there.

I think that HTF is much better for talking about movies and quality of presentation on DVD/BD, but AVS seems better (IMO) for hardware issues.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.

Not sure where you saw the prohibition (?) about discussing AVS Forums. From I can see I think BOTH HTF and AVS are great and there is no reason why we can't all get along. There is valuable information on both sites. I reference each of them on most days.

I agree with your general appraisal of their relative strengths though.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
It's not a prohibition, I've just noticed an uneasiness when it comes to references on one site to the other. Also, I once tried to post a link from one site on the other (I think it was an AVS link I tried to post here) and the site wouldn't let me.

I also think they're both great sites and visit both almost daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks