What's new

Odyssey Stratos vs. Aragon 8002 (1 Viewer)

Hey guys--

I'm in the market for a two-channel amp to drive my Paradigm Studio/60's. I'm currently using my Yamaha DSP-A1, which I'd like to use as the pre for the mains for now.

I can get either the Odyssey or the Aragon for the same price (actually, the Aragon would be a little cheaper). Both are highly regarded at audioreview.com.

Any thoughts? I'm looking to warm up the sound of the Yamaha, and will eventually incorporate a 2-channel pre-amp with a surround sound bypass.

-A.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the Stratos, will be listening to a friend's in a week or so

Have owned Aragon 1-8002, 4-8008ST and 3-8008BB all are fine products. Tank like build, with great sonics

One thing for sure, Aragon is going to be around along time since they've been bought by Klipsch (founded in 1948). So getting service certainly won't be an issue.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't know how to compare sonics without a A/B test. Both amps get pretty good press.

I'm always a little leary about doing business with an internet/mail order only company. If they fold, or Klaus has a heart attack, where/how, do you get the product serviced?

Aragon is an national brand with a reasonably large dealer network. And Klipsch is going to make sure that their investment succeeds.

My 8002 was sold to my best friend friend. I upgraded to 8008BB's because I use big electrostatics and simply needed more power.

Anyway my $.02

edit:

Klaus just announced that they're backordered at least 2 months and the price for the stereo amp goes up to $1070 as of Dec 6th

Thanks for your input, Thomas. Other than the power issue (I have easy to drive speakers) were you satisfied with the 8002? Any characteristics of the sound that you can describe to me?

-A.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yes I was/am very pleased with the 'sound', actually lack there of, from Aragon products.

Understand I have 2BB's driving big ESL panels in the HT, and 2-ST's and 1-BB driving a tri-amped dynamic driver system in the family room.

Some people complain that Aragon amps are bright/harsh. I find this not to be true. They are however quite revealing of the components in the signal path in front of them. But sonically I'd call them neutral and detailed.

Also to my ears there are mininal sonic differences between any of the Aragon amps, regardless of power rating. So if the speakers don't need the astounding control and power from the bigger amps, the 8002 is a best buy. Particularly for under $1K.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
We did a shootout today using a pair of tri-amped Apogee full-range panels $15,000. Using a Sony XA-777ES SACD player and the new Lexicon MC-12 preamp. Alternated between a Stratos with the cap upgrade, and a stock Aragon ST on the mid/tweeter panels. The ST was the winner, but the Stratos did a good job. Primarily sins of omission, a little less detailed, minimally decreased transient attack.

So I'd still say go with the 8002 because it will be most like the ST. Either the Stratos or the Aragon would be a fine choice. But with more demanding material and a more difficuilt load the Aragon would be the winner. With you current speakers you'd be hard pressed to hear a significant difference. But when you upgrade I think you'll be happier if you get the Aragon.

Hope this helps

Thomas

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas:

I have been looking into the Statos for some time, and I might eventually purchase one. One thing that has been made resoundingly clear to me is that this amp needs to be broken in over a substantial period of time before it really comes into its own, and that it really should be left on and kept warm. Have both of these conditions been met for your friend's Stratos?

Adarsh:

Where have you found this great price on the Aragon?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yea actually both Aragon's and Stratos need a long burn-in. The Aragon ST we used is several years old. The Stratos is one that went out to a customer who returned it for the mono mod, then returned it again to go back to stereo. So both amps had a good amount of time on them.
Some Aragon deals are available here
http://www.yawaonline.com/amplifiers.html

Wow, Thomas, thanks for doing that audition for me. You mentioned that with my current speakers (Studio/60's), I'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between the amps. Do you think I'd hear a significant difference over the internal amp of the Yamaha DSP-A1? I'm sure I will eventually upgrade my mains, but it probably won't be anytime soon. It's just that I've heard my current speakers sound even better than I've got them sounding currently.

Also planning on adding either a Rega Planet 2000 or Ah! Tjoeb 4000 CD player.

-A.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yes I'm pretty sure that either the 8002 or the Stratos will sound quite a bit better than the Yamaha. And when you do upgrade the speakers, there certainly won't need to upgrade the amp.
Oh btw, get a Sony XA-777ES SACD player instead. They have great redbook playback :)

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick note on the Stratos (its my Stratos - I loaned it to Dennis, the owner of the Apogees & and a good friend), it doesn't, in fact, have many hours on it. I don't know if breakin really has any affect on the sound or not (as this is the 1st Stratos I have owned), but per Klaus, this unit needs many more hours on it to fully come in to its own. Whether that hold true & it improves over the next few weeks, we shall see. . .

Tom,

Do you know how much the "revised" 8002 is going to cost, now that Klipsch has had Aragon re-design the case & discontinue the older version?

One thing I wanted to note - the 8008ST is a damn fine amp. I got a chance to listen to it pretty extensively at Dennis' & even at its full price of $2400, it is a tremendous amp, and a tremendous value.

Also, really looking forward to hearing the Ayre V-5 too. . .

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Klaus just announced that they're backordered at least 2 months...
When I ordered in mid-September, Klaus initially told me the waiting list is 8 weeks and it has been about 10 so far. However, my Stratos will ship this coming week. :D
Since the 8th week rolled around, Klaus and I have talked a bunch and he explained to me about the delays. They are all out of his control. Due to all of these delays and the affect on business, he has made provisions to get the wait time down to several weeks by mid-December and to be completely caught up by January.
After much research, I decided to go with the Stratos. While I wasn't thrilled with the wait time at first, it has taught me a considerable amount of patience and from everything I've read, it will be well worth the wait. Sometimes, I think "instant gratification" gets the best of us (myself included), especially nowadays.
Regards,
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks