What's new

Odd Question: Amp for Headphones (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I am wondering if there is a reasonable way to drive a really good pair of headphones,like Sennheiser 580's with a portable CD player.

My understanding is that the amps that come in portable CD players could not drive good headphones.

Does anyone have an idea how I could drive such phones with something small?

Thanks in Advance

Artie

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur:

There is a great headphone amp company called HeadRoom that has a site (www.headphone.com) where these type of questions get discussed in depth. Check it out, you may get your answer there.

MT

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
MIke

Thanks. I was able to find the info I was looking for within 2 minutes at www.headphone.com

Artie

PS Now I just have to decide if it is worth $300 for the phones and the amp.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
if you're gonna be using this for portable use only, i would HIGHLY suggest looking at the Etymotic Research line. the ER-4P's would suit you really well. IMO, they sound better than my HD580s and are virtually invisible to boot! i owned a pair for over a year and only sold them due to lack of use. the sound was fantastic, the size was perfect, AND they played just fine from my portable player.

another option is to call the guys at headphone.com up and tell them your quandry. they're great guys and will help you out with any sort of recommendation(s) you're looking for.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thomas

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the Etymotic Research line. www.headphone.com has the story on about all the phones, the match-ups, and more.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks