What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

nooo I just ruined nearly 20 DVDs!!! (1 Viewer)

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
sorry about what happened marco. We all know how it is when our precious hobbies gets ruined because of our own mistake. Mind you it happened to me a lot of times, once where it never recovered. You see I sepnt months collecting money to buy the Star Wars Trilogy, then when I finally bought it, I made the stupid mistake of carrying it everywhere. Then I discovered that the nice box had scratches ALL over. I mean I spent literally 20 minuts at WalMart finding the perfect box, and then I ruined it myself. I feel so ashamed. Marco it must be awful to have a great collection like the Alfred Hitchcock Criterion Set ruined with gravy. Very sorry.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Marco, I dont have boxset covers but I have some spare original covers. If you post a complete list of what was damaged and ive got any of them i'll send them to you.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you all so much for the kind words!

Jeff, I'll post a list of titles tomorrow morning after looking over everything once more. If you'd happen to have any extra originals for any of the damaged covers, I'd gladly compensate any shipping and postage related costs as well as any for your efforts. I'd really, really appreciate that!

Thanks so much for the offer!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In David Mamet's State & Main, the vendor of used and slightly abused items likes to say that the used wares are "better than new, because they've got history."

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Exactly the reason I don't let food or drink anywhere near my DVD and laser disc collection. Oh sure, I eat while watching movies a lot but the sofa is far enough away from the movie collection that I'd have to throw stuff at it to get it damaged. I've spilt food and drink on me, on the sofa, on the carpet, even on the cat but never on the films.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I feel you, trust me. It happened to me, so I downloaded this trial version of some recovery software. The software is only a trial, but it lets you run it to see if it can in fact recover your data. If so, you send the company $40-60 (don't remember how much), they send you a key to unlock it, and it works like a charm. I got about 99% of 120 GB worth of super important files back, like a video edit years in the making. Not to mention documents, music files, pictures, etc. If you want, I can see what the software is called because I still have it. I recommend them completely! They saved my ass.

From now on, you may want to have two hard drives; one for Windows and programs, and the other one for documents and such. That way, the main harddrive can be reformatted, etc., but your secondary drive will be fine. That's what I use and I am very happy with the setup.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Over here, the BBQ chicken is marinated, so there's absolutely no need to add gravy or sauce. That would just make it more salty. :)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

That seems extraordinary behaviour by an insurer. They can always charge a higher premium if the risk is considered to be greater than the "norm" for valid reasons, e.g. if your home is situated in an area prone to river flooding. But to refuse cover simply because you'd made a previous valid claim following a theft is just preposterous. Why do they think you have insurance?!

Anyway, I don't think that can be regarded as typical of insurance companies. I would still make a claim for the damaged DVDs if I were in the same position.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Unfortunately that's how things work here the good ole U.S.A. You need home owners (or renters) insurance to protect yourself from theft or damage yet if you ever actually file a claim you'll be lucky to ever get affordable coverage again.

As for the ruined covers I had a similar situation a few years back but with water, not gravy. I was able to iron out the wrinkles by sandwiching the cover between two pieces of thick fabric and lightly pressing with a steam iron. Of course that won't remove any gravy stains and if you're already uptight about your DVD cases you'll probably never be happy with the end results.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
A couple years back, my cat decided to spray the bottom row of my DVD rack, taking out the Bond collection and a few other discs. I don't know about gravy, but there is NO way to remove urine stains from DVD covers. Recently, my dog took the Spongebob movie off of the end table and literally shredded the yellow DVD case. The DVD itself is still in perfect condition.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
So you can put their kids through college. I agree that filing a claim is just asking for even higher rates, and for the amount of the deductable, you are probably better off just eating the loss, rather than dealing with weeks of BS from the insurance company.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to file for any claim, though I do appreciate the advice and suggestions. Luckily, I was able to salvage a handful of titles I didn't think would be possible so there's really only about 10 or so now that need to be replaced. It's still very, very frustrating but not as much so as last night when I saw the mess I'd made. I'm just mostly upset about the boxsets, the Hitch Criterion and LOTR in particular along with the few Fox Classics and WB Gangster titles that were damaged. Luckily there aren't as many as I'd thought last night though. Thanks again everyone and be extra careful with your collections! When you're finnished watching a movie, put it away - don't be lazy like me and just pull out another disc and leave boxes lying around cause you're just asking for trouble!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Marco,

Don't discount this idea. I've gotten free replacement covers in the past just by calling Customer Service. (In fact, I think Disney sent me a whole new keepcase for The Little Mermaid when I called them after my toddler cousin got her hands on the cover sheet!)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Years ago when my wife and I were apartment dweller's, we broke a window. Called the insurance people and they advised us NOT to file a claim. They said it could raise our rates and give us problems getting insurance in the future. If I recall correctly, I told her to stuff it and file the claim. That's why we bought the insurance in the for place. It's totally absurd that it costs $x for insurance, but if you ever need that insurance, then you have to pay more. I dispise insurance companies, but guess where I work. :b

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Bummer, dude! I know how it feels. I used to have the whole Star Trek: The Next Generation collection on VHS from Columbia House (in those oversized cardboard cases). I got a little careless with a highball one night and... half of season one smelled like Jack Daniels until I finally sold them off.

-Lyle J.P.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Aaron, I'm trying to track down the appropriate contact numbers for the few Fox, WB and Paramount dvd's. Hopefully it all works out...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Gravy on BBQ's Chicken? That wouldn't be my first question...Why (and how) are you opening a jar of gravy near your DVD rack??? I usually open my food items in the kitchen. ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wouldn't exactly call the DVD's ruined, just the cases. Look on the bright side Marco, at least you still have the films intact, that's the main thing.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Even though I've been called too anal in building and maintaining my dvd/film library....THIS is why I encase most of my 1,900+ titles in re-sealable sleeves. at 6 cents a pop for standard sleeves....maybe a good investment, ey?

Of course no food or drink is allowed in my film vault, so......;).

If I did drop a few dvds on a pizza pie.....I doubt I'd tell anyone. I'd like to forget about asap.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks