What's new

Noob: Need your advice to build my first home audio sub! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings to all! Would like to build my own sub(s) using the Sonotube enclosure. I've done several searches here on this topic and have learned a lot. Now I need your help with my specific situation.

About me: I used to build (not design) subwoofer enclosures as a custom car audio installer while in high school and college. I have good woodworking skills and have probably inhaled enough MDF dust to make the enclosure I seek! I have plenty of woodworking tools to complete the project.

About my room: 16' X 17' bonus room with knee walls. Used 70% home theater and 30% two channel. Speakers are Divas: 6.1's, C3, and R3's. Currently looking for amplification and processing.

What I've considered thus far:
-Enclosure Size: Would prefer to use 18" tube. Would be willing to use 24" if necessary. Would like to stay below 48" tall if possible.

-Driver: Would like to use bottom-firing sub. Indifferent between bottom or top port. 12" or 15" driver was what I had in mind, but will listen to any suggestions. No name brand loyalty formed.

-Amplification: Thought I would use something in the pro line... Maybe QSC or Mackie as I have wholesale access to these lines. Plate amps are fine two, feel free to suggest your favorite! Will need some crossover capability but have no idea what to choose.

*-Budget: Would like to keep it between $500 - $1000 if possible. I was planning to buy a used SVS 16-46 and Sampson S700 for about $550. After a bit of reading, I figured I could best this option for equal money or blow it away for a few hundred more. Am I way off base here?

*-Ports vs. Radiators: No real preference here. Whatever is best and provides the most value.

I have downloaded a couple of the enclosure design tools and have played with them some. What I am really seeking is a tried and true enclosure / driver combo that I can build. Since so many of these enclosures have been built by all of you, I would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I would also consider building two subs using smaller drivers if that will make more since. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Jeff

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jeff, how soon are you looking at NEEDING a sub? There are a few new things in the brew right now:)
Also, what is your budget for driver, amp, and XO solution (assuming Low pass, rumble filter, phase)?...ie total budget for everything sub related except the enclosure.
Tell use this and we will get you rolling :)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
How about a QSC RMX1450. Which has 700watts x 2 @ 2 ohms.
Then a single 15" Tumult driver and then 2 18" stryke passive radiators.
I estimate it to be about $1,000 if that's what you're looking to spend.

Or you could always spend $400 and get:
15" Adire Tempest + 2 flared ports + 250W parts express plate amp.

Or perhaps the Stryke AV15 driver instead, or upgrade to a bigger amp.

What's the range you are willing to spend? Are you opposed to using passive radiators instead of ports?

Jeff Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your questions, folks! I have updated my original post with the answers to keep it simple for new readers. They are denoted with an *. Thanks!

Jeff

A

Anthony_Gomez

If you want to stay budget minded, then the tempest is currently the best way to go IMO...though the enclosures aren't the smallest

Use 3/4" base with 1.5" end caps (3/4" exposed) and a 4" gap on the bottom (think SVS). Go with a 24" tube that is cut to 31". The total enclosure height will be 37.25"

This will yield an enclosure that can be used for the Adire-Alightment (a pair of 3" flared ports with 11" center tubes)

Power this with the PE250 amp as Chris has mentioned and you are ready to roll!

Jeff Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
*-Budget: Would like to keep it between $500 - $1000 if possible. I was planning to buy a used SVS 16-46 and Sampson S700 for about $550. After a bit of reading, I figured I could best this option for equal money or blow it away for a few hundred more. Am I way off base here?

Is this really the case or am I dreaming? Thanks!

Jeff

A

Anthony_Gomez

No dreaming required. The adire alignment will not extend as low as the 16-46, but it will still extend pretty low and imo, will probably do better in music than the SVS with that tuning.

If you want to push the $1000 limit, do as chris said and get a tumult/18PR's/1500watts in a 24" cube, and you will be able to take on a pair of ULTRA's with the extension to boot.

Tony

Jeff Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Since the WAF on a water heater is not good, should I consider a couple of Shivas? I would rather have two small 18" tubes that one big 24".

-Would two shivas outperform one tempest?
-If so, recommended enclosure volumes and ports?
-How about amplification?

Thanks!

Jeff

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
If you're considering running two subs then I would suggest using an outboard amplifier the likes of the QSC and Mackie that you mentioned. Personally, I'd take a QSC offering any day over Mackie. Unless you think the fan noise might bother you?
Two Shiva's can slightly out displace a single Tempest but IMO the cost difference and need for two enclosures is not worth it.
If it is between two Shiva's and one Tempest I would go with the Tempest. The Tumult option mentioned above looks nice but takes you a little over budget.
How about Styke's AV15 in a 250L enclosure, tuned to 18hz? This will give you an F3 of about 18hz and with 500watts of power you'll easily reach high SPL's. This, to me, seems like the best bang/buck so far. I would still go with a pro amp as a 500watt plate amp will cost just as much or more. And the pro amp will allow for an upgrade to a second sub if you choose. ;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jeff....or, you can talk to John at stryke about getting his new HE15 without the high inductance. Asking which is better, the tumult, or the new HE15 will bring out a heated debate, but it is very safe to say that they are both exceptional drivers.

The HE15 can get away with a 22" cube, which will actually look substantially smaller (imo) than the 24" cube.

With the shiva's, you are looking at anywhere from 85L up to around 140L (for the EBS...similar to the 16-46).

A 24" cube will put you around 151L....so you really aren't gaining any space with the shiva's....just efficiency, and cost. (you also loose SPL capabilities)

If a 24" cube is to "big", you can always shrink the foot print and make it taller...a 20"x20"x29" (assuming 1.5" thick walls)

(You said that you can go with a 24"x 48" MAX sonotube....the 24" cube will be substantially smaller than that.)

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Or even go smaller .. Say 18" cube with a LT circuit :) Small, deep and loud :D mmmm maybe a pair
Ted

Jeff Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
"Or even go smaller .. Say 18" cube with a LT circuit Small, deep and loud mmmm maybe a pair

Ted"

Ted or anyone:

-Which driver with the 18" box?

-What's an LT circuit?

Thanks!

Jeff

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jeff,
The Tumult
An LT is a special type of boost that (assuming 100% match of cap/resistor values) will turn a sealed sub with almost any Qtc/Fb to any user chosen Qtc/Fb.
Here are three of about 10LT's I built a while ago (one time deal) for some HTF people using an external power supply
http://members.aol.com/auddz/lt3.jpg
Here is my original LT using an AC adaptor and an internal power supply
http://beyond_gomer.tripod.com/LT.html
I used the PCB's from here:
Link Removed
There is also information there to help you understand what an LT is (project71)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks